extending a dropper seat post length

iMTB
iMTB Posts: 4
edited September 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a RS Reverb 150mm dropper seat post which is 440mm total length.

With the seat post in less than ~ 3cm lower than the min insertion marker i can hear the frame creaking. I'd like that extra inch of height post height. RS do a longer 170mm Reverb which is 480mm total length but £220 is a lot for an extra couple of cm's. Does anyone know if its possible to extend in some way the length of the reverb post so more can sit in the frame allowing me to raise it higher?

This guy did one for a standard seat post

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/how-extend-400mm-seatpost-618888.html

The longest post i can find is 480mm which is the the RS Reverb 170mm.

I'd be happy to buy a cheap non dropper 480mm or 500mm post in 31.6mm diameter to test the waters in my frame at that length.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I very much doubt it. The Reverb has stuff inside, it's not a hollow tube.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • iMTB wrote:
    but £220 is a lot for an extra couple of cm's.

Sell the unwanted dropper, buy correct size, reckon the difference will be about £60-£80*, plus you'll get a new warranty.

*assuming the current one is in decent nick
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Selling the old dropper and buying a new one is the way to go.

The only alternative I can think of is to strengthen the outside of the seat tube instead. Put a tightly fitting tube over the outside of the seat tube (if you can get one). It would have to go as far past the point where the minimum insertion length would take the end of the current dropper, about 100mm I believe.

It would not look pretty and depending upon the design of the frame, may not even be possible.

But without a doubt, the best thing to do is to buy a longer dropper.
  • Don't try to faff with it.

Only realistic option is buy the right length.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You need a new bike, iMTB. :wink:
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • iMTB
    its on a Capra AL2 so i can't easily get something to go on the outside of the seat tube as there is a reinforcement brace welded in the way which cracked and YT warranty replaced the frame. I'm keen to avoid another replacement.

Ideally i'd like to have as long as possible seat post to ensure there is lots of post in the tube to spread the load and prevent another crack.

anyone know where to get a non dropper post of 31.6 x 480mm or longer? The longest i've found so far is reverb 170 mm 480mm total, i'd be happy with a non dropper just to check things.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    iMTB wrote:
    there is a reinforcement brace welded in the way which cracked and YT warranty replaced the frame. I'm keen to avoid another replacement.

gs.

If the frame cracked because of the length of the seat post outside the tube, surely that tells you something...
  • Sounds like your frame is waaaay too small for you. Unless you are proportioned similarly to a T-rex?
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    ^>^^ that's a possibility, the Italian geezer who did the post mod had stupidly long legs, 36 in yet was 5 ft 10
  • iMTB
    02GF74 wrote:
    iMTB wrote:
    there is a reinforcement brace welded in the way which cracked and YT warranty replaced the frame. I'm keen to avoid another replacement.

gs.

If the frame cracked because of the length of the seat post outside the tube, surely that tells you something...

Your gonna need to spell that out.

The length of the post out of the tube was less than it would have been if the post was upto the minimum insertion marker.

Says to me that the frame is not upto the job, or the post should be longer.

I’m exploring the longer post route at the moment, hence my question.