Cyclocross 18/19

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,348
edited April 2019 in Pro race
#CrossIsHere

Lars van der Haar takes the first honours of the season on the Muur last weekend...

Trek get off to a great start with Evie Richards & Instagram's Ellen Noble taking 1 and 2 at the World Cup (?C2) race at their home race. Ellen van Looy rounds out the podium.

(actual real world cup on Sunday)
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Yes, first World Cup on Sunday evening, with the women's race last taking the top billing. Not sure about live TV coverage - if it's like last year then it's live on Eurosport player, with highlights later on Eurosport 1/2. A shame we haven't got MTB style RedBullTV coverage for cross.

However, no MvdP until early October - actually taking a well deserved break after a summer of racing XC and road; and with great success.

And what is happening to Wout? What bike, what kit, etc With Bontrager being a personal sponsor, could he ride on a Trek?
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    I imagine Wout will ride a bike with no logos. I’ll guess a trek with a blank paint job.

At least a blank bike will help with contract arguments if it goes to court. Could always come up with some BS that it’s a new stevens in development.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    He is riding his Stevens bike on instagram. Probably will stick with it for the races.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ddraver
    I thought I posted an Instagram Pic of him...? Did I balls it up?

Oh well, heres a video...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoCQvVqFlJD ... _copy_link
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited September 2018
    The other Van Aerts wins the boys with his brother close behind. Vos wins the girls from Ellen Noble who put in a stellar ?breakthrough performance. Hard to tell from twitter but slightly sounds like Vos was the old dog dealing with an excitable puppy, but a great start to the season.

Evie Richards in 4th with The usual cross suspects languishing around the bottom of the top 10.

A good start for some new young guns but let's see how it goes. A win at Omloop rarely translates into a win at the Ronde..
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    In the womens race, the pure Crossers seem undercooked; Vos has a season of road in her legs, whilst Noble & Richards have had a season of MTB-ing behind them. And next weeks course has a bit more climbing with Mt Crumpet, so should suit the MTB-ers.

However, a big thumbs down to Eurosport; have the rights, but decline not to show it live, even on the Player......makes no sense. 'The Home of Cycling' - really??
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    ddraver wrote:
    The other Van Alerts wins the boys with his brother close behind.

Toon Aerts is not related to Wout Van Aert.
  • ddraver
    ....be serious!
    - @ddraver
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    ddraver wrote:
    ....be serious!

Well, they do have different surnames.

Aerts vs Van Aert

Not sure why you would think they are related.
  • ddraver
    Oh that's not a reason...!
    - @ddraver
  • joey54321
    ddraver wrote:
    Oh that's not a reason...!

Are you saying having different surnames isn't a reason to think they aren't related?

Do you just go around assuming everyone is brother and sister then? Valentine's day must be very confusing for you...
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Great to see Trek backing their women's race team, they sort of had something going before but it was sort of MTB/bit of cross etc, where as these three women are going to be racing throughout winter rather than doing bits and bobs
  • ddraver
    @joey...let it go mate. Don't take the internet so seriously

Trek have done well. Evie is having a bit of a PFP moment not being able to decide between CX and XCO. They have Emily Batty for the full on XCO and to guide the young uns a bit I suspect. I think Ellen might have realised that her future is cross. Her problem now is to turn U23 podiums into elite wins. Evie has been quietly getting on with becoming a double U23 World Champ.

The US does seem to love Ellen, but Kate Courtney may suddenly be about threaten that crown....(even worse for Trek, she rides a dirty Specialized!!)
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Dunno if this was during the world cup or one of the warm up races but...https://twitter.com/josselin_riou/statu ... 05826?s=19

And I wonder if it was Ellen shrieking :P - https://www.instagram.com/p/BoHa5mqniJj ... 0uem7pf5y0
    - @ddraver
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    ddraver wrote:
    Dunno if this was during the world cup or one of the warm up races but...https://twitter.com/josselin_riou/statu ... 05826?s=19

And I wonder if it was Ellen shrieking :P - https://www.instagram.com/p/BoHa5mqniJj ... 0uem7pf5y0
    It was just as he was coming into the finish, he’d done one earlier in the race as well.
  • ddraver
    Fair play Toon. Not even Mathew get's 'em that sideways....
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Nino would be proud of that whip.....
  • Eurosport player suggests that both of tonight's races from Iowa are being broadcast live in the UK. However look at the tv schedules and there is no mention...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    They are showing as being on tonight in the Eurosport player schedule. Is ordinary Eurosport different.
  • Not sure
  • andyrac
    Just Eurosport Player - better than nothing, but no commentary, no build up, etc Oh for some RedBull TV style MTB coverage....
  • Totally agree about red bull style tv. But Eurosport is the "home of cycling" so why not show it live?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    GCN will be showing most of the standard CX series races - pretty much everything apart from the World Cup rounds - live this winter.
  • ddraver
    ^That is very good! Well done GCN!

WvA throwing shade at MvdP for not going to the American races.

(slightly unfair given he rides an MTB season too - but he didnt travel over for the race in Canada either so maybe not)
    - @ddraver
  • Interesting result at the Koppenberg cross yesterday (no spoilers).

Hope we get to see some highlights to see how it played out.
  • Interesting result at the Koppenberg cross yesterday (no spoilers).

Hope we get to see some highlights to see how it played out.

https://www.facebook.com/GCNcycling/videos/247280295938407/
    Both men's and women's were really good races. Full replays on GCN Facebook page.
  • What do we think of Wout Van Aert so far this winter?

I think its clear he hasn't got the legs and that could be for a combination of reasons.

Firstly I think the fact he went almost straight through from last seasons 'cross into the spring classics and sporadically across the summer wont be helping.

Also the team issues will be affecting him. We can always say how professional riders are but off the bike stuff affects them as much as all of us.
  • ddraver
    Dunno...he did this last year mind and then spanked MvdP at the Worlds so maybe that's his game.

The distractions can't have helped but MvdP hasn't exactly had a quiet summer either to be fair...
    - @ddraver
  • joey54321
    I think WVA basically only cares about the World's. He knows that's the biggest exposure for a cyclo-cross rider and it also lines up better with his ambitions of a good classic season. Peak for one race and then aim for the road races. I did laugh last year when everyone had written off his cross season as a failure by October last year.