Lizard Skins DSP Bar Tape

ayjaycee
ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
I've heard good things about this bar tape and wondered whether anybody here on BR uses it. If so, what do you think and what thickness do you use (I'm torn between 2.5 and 3.2mm). Any alternative recommendations also appreciated. Cost is not an issue.
Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
Kinesis Racelight 4S
Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)

Comments

• I use the 2.5mm, it's great, nice and grippy.
  • Snap, use them myself. Comfy, grippy, easy to wrap
  • I now use 3.2 after breaking a finger earlier this year, used to use 2.5 on my other bikes. Super grippy, good in the wet, easily cleaned too (although I use black now 'cos I'm lazy). Tried Supacaz stuff too but it was nowhere near as good.
  • The only downside is the price really.

A lot of the bike manufacturers have cottoned on and are now doing lizard skin silicone 'style' tape for half the price, just have a hunt around
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I just fitted some Tortec Super Comfort tape to the best bike. Similar but cheaper.

Going to do the same on the winter bike when I get it out of hibernation shortly.

FWIW it's very easily re-usable, I swapped a roll 4 times (changing bikes/bars) and it was still as new.
  • My experience was that it wasn't all that durable considering the price. After a few months the top layer staring peeling away
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    keef66 wrote:
    I just fitted some Tortec Super Comfort tape to the best bike. Similar but cheaper.

Going to do the same on the winter bike when I get it out of hibernation shortly.

I quite agree. Got this Tortec tape after glowing review from road.cc. Comfortable, super grippy and easy to fit. Tredz have it in stock for £14.99 - much cheaper than DSP.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    My absolute favourite...

I don't change tape that often so price is fine for me (it's usually always on sale somewhere too)

Warning - the MTB grips are useless for any sort of technical riding by the way...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    I found the Lizard Skins 2.5mm nice but came up a bit short. Wrapping the bars with enough overlap to prevent any little gaps there wasn't enough tape to come as far along the bars as I would have liked. They're not particularly wide bars either.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Excellent stuff. Have it on all my bikes and always recommend it to anyone I do builds for.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • It's very good. I've used 1.8 race and 2.5 on a few different bikes.

Tacky as hell, and very comfy.

My only possible advice would be that IMO, it's best suited to riders who don't tend to wear gloves. Dunno, but wearing mitts seems to shorten it's lifespan somewhat (as per the above post re top layer wearing off).

I think the bar plugs are a bit naff. I've found the tucked in tape can push the ends out if not dealt with properly. I like Supa Caz idea of fancy expander plugs, though I've never tried SC for comparison...
  • I use the DSP 3.2mm stuff on all my bikes. Really rate it. I'm sure there's a similar product around for a lower price, but I'm yet to find it. It last for ages so it's not a big issue really. Oh and yes, I've had the plastic bar end plugs fall out before. Wrap a bit of double sided tape around before shoving them in.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Specialized S-Wrap HD Tape is brilliant. Lasts ages, thick, not stupidly tacky like Lizard Skins so it's great with and without gloves. It's not cheap, but it is really good. No shitty logos on it either, who needs logos on bar tape, they look crap.
  • I wouldn't fit lizard skins to a bike you rarely use as it deteriorates with age not just with use. I only know this as I laid a bike up for 18 months and when I started riding it again the outer surface just wore off very easily.

Give a bike plenty of use and you would be changing your tape every couple of years anyway though - I always use new tape when I recable a bike - so shouldn't be an issue.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    Giant Stratus 2.0 is good
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Thanks for all the inputs. I’ve got to say that all this talk of tackinesss is actually putting me off of Lizardskins and I think I need an alternative. A bit more research is needed and please keep the suggestions coming.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • ayjaycee wrote:
    Thanks for all the inputs. I’ve got to say that all this talk of tackinesss is actually putting me off of Lizardskins and I think I need an alternative. A bit more research is needed and please keep the suggestions coming.

It's bar tape. Try not to over think it. At the worst, you might make a £25 mistake.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    ayjaycee wrote:

S-wrap HD, it is brilliant and it lasts too. Only downside is cost. It is thick and comfy.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    The Ribble blue meanie commuter has Lizardskins on. Still riding without gloves and I like its touch but can appreciate that not everyone would.
    Winter when riding with gloves, whatever tape will make sod all difference.
  • JGSI wrote:
    The Ribble blue meanie commuter has Lizardskins on. Still riding without gloves and I like its touch but can appreciate that not everyone would.
    Winter when riding with gloves, whatever tape will make sod all difference.

This. There is no need to spend more than a fiver on bar tape.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Specialized S-wrap Roubaix tape is a good option, very comfortable (padded without being too chunky), non-tacky, hard wearing and easy to wrap, lasts ages too.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,848
    I applied the 3.2mm to mine. Comfy and grippy but tucking in the ends and getting a bar plug in (and stay in) is a nightmare. Thinner stuff next time.
  • I like Lizard Skins. Recently, I got some Fabric Knurl, which is similarly constructed but a bit less tacky and more textured, and I think I prefer it.

Only on the tarty bike, though. The workhorse gets good old black Cinelli cork tape.
  • rnath
    rnath Posts: 176
    I really liked the feel of Lizard Skins when I tried it, but unfortunately it didn’t last long before disintegrating and looking messy. Went back to Specialized S-Wrap Roubaix... very comfy, easy to apply and seems to last forever...
  • I gave Lizard Skins DSP two tries and went against it. The tape just could not deal with moisture and simply was too slippery for me. I’ve since replaced it with Supacaz rape as well as Zipp Service Course CX bar tape.

If you don’t think moisture will be an issue, go for the Lizard Skins!