Carbon wheels and roof racks

vegas76
vegas76 Posts: 278
edited September 2018 in Road general
Do I need to be careful transporting a bike with carbon wheels on a Halfords rooftop bike holder?

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Yes - don't go under low bridges, barrier-ed car parks, multi-storey carparks, underground carparks or under low branches.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    How does it clamp ? Downtube and straps over wheels ?

No need to go mad on the wheels - you just don't want them jumping out. I'd put a bit of foam between the strap and the wheel and just make secure. Don't overdo it.
  • vegas76
    Fenix wrote:

No need to go mad on the wheels - you just don't want them jumping out. I'd put a bit of foam between the strap and the wheel and just make secure. Don't overdo it.

It has the pull tight wheel straps. Thanks for the advice.
  • Vegas76 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Chances are that its actually held by the clamp on the frame or front dropouts (whichever applies) and that you don't and likely can't tighten the wheel straps very much.

If you have flexy carbon fairings on an alloy rim, you might have an issue. But if your wheels are full carbon fibre, then you will be fine.
  • vegas76
    Vegas76 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Chances are that its actually held by the clamp on the frame or front dropouts (whichever applies) and that you don't and likely can't tighten the wheel straps very much.

If you have flexy carbon fairings on an alloy rim, you might have an issue. But if your wheels are full carbon fibre, then you will be fine.

Cool cool, yes mine are full carbon.
  • Vegas76 wrote:
    Vegas76 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Cool cool, yes mine are full carbon.
    Although I don't bother myself I suppose you could use a bit of old inner tube to stop any cosmetic damage. Its really not something I've had a problem with though.