Pad fixing bolt on m785 brake

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited September 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I’ve noticed that the pad retaining bolt on my rear m785 xt brake has started to come loose.

It appears the threads that hold the bolt in are damaged is there anything I can do to fix this? Would just using a split pin be safe enough?

The brake works great otherwise I’d buy a new caliper.

Any ideas?

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You can just use a split pin.
    SLX M675 calipers have the threaded bolt hole but are supplied with a split pin.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    JBA wrote:
    You can just use a split pin.
    SLX M675 calipers have the threaded bolt hole but are supplied with a split pin.

I’ll try it and see what it’s like, never done them up tight either so not sure how it got damaged.
  • I've had M785 brakes and also have the SLX. Split pins work fine. They just take a couple more nanoseconds to remove.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • swod1
    BillyCool wrote:
    I've had M785 brakes and also have the SLX. Split pins work fine. They just take a couple more nanoseconds to remove.

Yes I’ll try a split pin in the brake, front is fine and the pad bolts weren’t done up over tight either.
  • swod1
    not ideal but fitted a split pin to the rear brake caliper, i'm wondering if the threads can be retapped and then buy a new pad retaining bolt?

would save having to buy another brake caliper.
  • swod1 wrote:
    not ideal but fitted a split pin to the rear brake caliper, i'm wondering if the threads can be retapped and then buy a new pad retaining bolt?

Split pins are standard on some calipers, so don't worry about it. There is no need to replace your caliper, unless you want to of course!
  • swod1
    swod1 wrote:

Split pins are standard on some calipers, so don't worry about it. There is no need to replace your caliper, unless you want to of course!

yes just annoying that's all

if it'll work i might replace the front brake with a zee caliper and use the front on the back brake.