Which aftermarket MTB wheels/ hubs sub £400?

minibbb
minibbb Posts: 5
edited September 2018 in MTB general
Afternoon folks

I own a 2015 Trek X Caliber 8 which I use for both commuting and the local trails. I've had lots of wheel issues with brown spokes, being out of true etc and now it seems the rear hub has had it.

I am therefore looking to buy some aftermarket ones with a budget of £400 max for both. Can anyone suggest any please? Im a novice in this respect but know hope are meant to be good? They do their basic wheels within my range with the pro 4 hubs- just not sure if these are the best for the money?

Many thanks!

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Yes hope are good but check out a set of wheels from superstar components you’ll save a little cash.

Also take a look at mavic wheels too the lower end ones crossrides I think they are called.
  • Superstar are a good option for a sensible wheelset at a good price.

They usually have some clearance deals and/or 20% off promotions.

I've just had a set of Hope Pro 4's laced to some WTB i23 rims.

Hope front hub £68 but paid for using Tesco Clubcard c/o Evans Cycles
    Hope rear hub £78 2nd hand from eBay (6m old and basically brand new)
    WTB i23 rims £40 for both in CRC sale (instead of £140)
    Wheel build for both £120 (inc Black Sapim spokes and nipples)

Total £306 if you assume I paid £68 for the front hub.

I've fitted new Clarkes rotors 1 x 160 and 1 x 180 for about £30 (for both) and got some nice silver titanium rotor bolts for £10.

I do ride 26" so that is why the rims were so cheap. You can pick up good deals on eBay as well.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Thank you both for your very helpful replies! The superstar wheels look good and very reasonably priced!

I don't understand the whole spec of them so will call the shop to see if they can advise on fitment etc for my bike!
  • You don't say what size, but of it's 27.5 or 29 how about Hunt Wheels? www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/mtb-wheels
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Minibbb wrote:
    Thank you both for your very helpful replies! The superstar wheels look good and very reasonably priced!

I don't understand the whole spec of them so will call the shop to see if they can advise on fitment etc for my bike!

They will be easy to service too with replaceable cartridge bearings inside the hubs and different end caps for either through or quick release axle types etc.