Full face helmet for day to day riding?

Keith5d
Keith5d Posts: 5
edited October 2018 in MTB general
Right, so I'm currently waiting to collect my new bike after taking a notion of getting into trail riding. Haven't ridden in years and I know I'll need to build up my general fitness in the saddle, although overall I'm not in bad nick.

I'll be doing a bit of riding in the local area in between my tentative ventures off road to get more saddle-time, but I don't know if a full face helmet will make me look like, well, a helmet...

What's the general consensus of full face lids for more leisurely use, is it overkill/silly looking/not the done thing?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hot and sweaty. And probably pointless.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited September 2018
    Get something like a Bell Super 3R.
    You can remove the chin piece for the leisurely rides and attach it for off-road forays.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • I agree with the Bell Super as a choice.
    I bought just the main section because all I wanted at the time was a good trail helmet. You'd think that a two-piece design would not look right without the chinpiece, but it looks great! I have seen loads of them out and about, so you won't look like a helmet.

I'm wearing it in the profile picture to the left.
  • A decent trail helmet is fine for everyday riding. They have a bit more protection around the back of the head than the standard XC hellmets.

A FF will get hot and sweaty. You planning on lots of face plants??
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • JBA wrote:
    Get something like a Bell Supfer 3R.
    You can remove the chin piece for the leisurely rides and attach it for off-road forays.
    This is what I did but after a few rides the chin piece stays on all the time as I can't be arsed faffing around taking it on and off.
    BillyCool wrote:
    You planning on lots of face plants??
    It only takes one. My teeth are more important than my cred.
  • The reduction in visibility outweighs any benefit.
  • JBA
    The reduction in visibility outweighs any benefit.

That’s BS. There is hardly any reduction in visibility, and what little there is cannot outweigh the potential benefit.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The reduction in visibility outweighs any benefit.
    Yeah, I hate not being able to see out of my ears...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    JBA wrote:

That’s BS. There is hardly any reduction in visibility, and what little there is cannot outweigh the potential benefit.

He is known to be a spazwangle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • If you wear a FF, you will need to learn not to spit. Also, eating and drinking requires some extra skills. And do not cough with a mouthful of food! :lol:

I am lucky enough to have two helmets. I have a proper trail helmet (as opposed to an XC helmet). The benefit over an XC helmet is extra protection around the back of the head and around the ears. The downside is that it is slightly heavier, but I can't notice when its on my head and I am happy to trade the extra protection for 100gms. The second helmet is a proper DH helmet. It provides superior protection vs a trail helmet, but it is hotter and sweatier and I would not consider it for trail riding. As someone said earlier, it is for when I go in harm's way like BPW, the Alps, whatever. Somewhere I am likely to be well out of my comfort zone and with unpleasant consequences of failure.

With hindsight I should have bought the full Bell Super and saved myself some money, but I didn't, so take that as a learning point if you want. :)
  • JBA wrote:

I disagree, through ‘experience’, I know this concept is lost on most of you, but it’s a really piss poor idea to ride with a peaked full faced lid, every day.I don’t care whether you like the idea that I have far more experience than you, post the results of the inevitable accident you’ll have, and we’ll see.
  • doomanic wrote:
    JBA wrote:
    Get something like a Bell Supfer 3R.
    This is what I did but after a few rides the chin piece stays on all the time as I can't be arsed faffing around taking it on and off.
    BillyCool wrote:
    You planning on lots of face plants??
    It only takes one. My teeth are more important than my cred.

I wasn't suggesting that cred had anything to do with it.

It was more about the practicalities of wearing a FF helmet for everyday riding. If it was practical, I'm sure more people would be doing it. You might get seriously hot and sweaty and that in itself could encourage more dismounts. I've tried riding XC with one to test it out and got very warm.

Having said that, something like the Bell Super might be a good compromise.

Hope you find something that suits (and retains your cred) :D
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • JBA
    JBA wrote:

I disagree, through ‘experience’, I know this concept is lost on most of you, but it’s a really wee-wee poor idea to ride with a peaked full faced lid, every day.I don’t care whether you like the idea that I have far more experience than you, post the results of the inevitable accident you’ll have, and we’ll see.

Why will accidents be 'inevitable'?

• JBA wrote:
    JBA wrote:

I disagree, through ‘experience’, I know this concept is lost on most of you, but it’s a really wee-wee poor idea to ride with a peaked full faced lid, every day.I don’t care whether you like the idea that I have far more experience than you, post the results of the inevitable accident you’ll have, and we’ll see.

Why will accidents be 'inevitable'?

Sooner or later ( probably sooner ) you’ll get blind sided, using a peaked, full faced lid, on normal rides. It will happen, it’s not good when it does. The peaked full faced lid is a great idea on a trail, not on every day road rides.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

Your brazen arrogance is astounding. The irony is that you've been banned from these forums twice already for talking utter, uninformed bollox - and now you're on your third user account you don't seem to have moderated your behaviour at all. It would be entertaining if it wasn't so pathetic.
  • What were his previous accounts?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Don't reply, he's just trolling for reactions.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • imposter2.0
    doomanic wrote:
    What were his previous accounts?

Milemuncher1 and Bikergroveish - there is clearly something wrong with the guy...
  • JBA
    Sooner or later ( probably sooner ) you’ll get blind sided, using a peaked, full faced lid, on normal rides. It will happen, it’s not good when it does. The peaked full faced lid is a great idea on a trail, not on every day road rides.

Sounds like someone failed to look, got blind-sided and is trying to blame the helmet.

Every response in this thread except your’s has recommended a trail or convertible helmet for day to day riding without resorting to scare-mongering.

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739

I've got a bit of sympathy for this viewpoint, as a road commuter a quick shoulder check needs to be done when overtaking or pulling into the road. I wear frameless glasses as even the edge of the glass interferes with a clear sighting over the shoulder.

I own a FF helmet, I bought it after faceplanting at BPW and ending up inches between my nose and a big rock. Haven't worn it since...
  • craker wrote:

I've got a bit of sympathy for this viewpoint, as a road commuter a quick shoulder check needs to be done when overtaking or pulling into the road. I wear frameless glasses as even the edge of the glass interferes with a clear sighting over the shoulder.

I own a FF helmet, I bought it after faceplanting at BPW and ending up inches between my nose and a big rock. Haven't worn it since...

My FF was bought specifcally after my trip to BPW and seeing some nasty facial injuries. It gets an annual outing and that's about that. Wouldn't go without one now.

I find that with XC type riding, it does cook my head (I sweat a lot) and limits my hearing/ general awareness a little. No issue if anyone wants to wear one but it doesn't suit me. I do think it's great to see small kids using them as they are prone to bike exits and less able to fall off properly.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Imposter wrote:
    doomanic wrote:

Milemuncher1 and Bikergroveish - there is clearly something wrong with the guy...

Are you sure about Bikergroveish? From what I recall he at least put commas in the right places.
  • glynrs2
    glynrs2 Posts: 4,143
    I have a Bell Super and it is the best MTB helmet that I have had. Normally where it as a regular helmet , but add the chin bar when go to a bike park or doing jump trails. The chin bar goes on very easy and makes a very good full face helmet. Best of both worlds.
  • imposter2.0
    Bondurant wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    doomanic wrote:

Are you sure about Bikergroveish? From what I recall he at least put commas in the right places.

No question. Don't know about the commas, but the user accounts all come from the same unbalanced individual...
  • Ive never worn a FF cycle helmet but some full face motorcycle helmets can restrict peripheral vision so it seems entirely possible the same is true of full face cycle helmets. In fact looking at some cheap ones kids wear they definitely do so if by everyday riding the OP means roads it's a consideration. Of course they'd be so hot why would you anyway.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Son has had a Bell Super 2R MIPS for a while and swears by it. Never tested the chin strap in full anger (i.e. against a tree or rock) but in terms of easy of use when adding it on / taking it off, and as a helmet for day to day riding when the chin bar isn't on it has been great.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Another vote for a Bell super here. Chin bar off for commuting and regular stuff, chin bar on for Bike Park stuff and anytime I'm attempting to do anything jumpy. Takes about 30 seconds to whip the chin bar on and off, dead easy.