British Cycling Insurance

5milestogo
5milestogo Posts: 224
edited September 2018 in Commuting chat
Hi, was gonna subscribe to them given the Strava Challenge reward for 1. the 'free' lights 2. the insurance which I feel I need after a few offs and close calls. Anyone had experience of the latter and reckons its worthwhile. Ta
Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
GT Edge Ti
Ribble Audax

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,144
    5milestogo wrote:
    Hi, was gonna subscribe to them given the Strava Challenge reward for 1. the 'free' lights 2. the insurance which I feel I need after a few offs and close calls. Anyone had experience of the latter and reckons its worthwhile. Ta
    You get 10% off at CRC (over £100) and Halfords so if that's going to pay for the membership you may as well get it for that and the insurance is a bonus.

Never used the insurance but others have said it is useful.
  • 100% worthwhile. Its 25 quid per annum and would save that alone on a few purchases.

Read the stories of the people who are knocked off without legal protection (you may be covered by household insurance).
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The insurance is third party isn't it? i.e. it covers damage you might cause to others, not yourself. The legal protection just refers you to a no-win-no-fee lawyer I think - a good one, probably, but not necessarily something you couldn't do yourself (albeit with a bit more hassle factor which you could probably do without after an accident).
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,144
    BigMat wrote:
    The insurance is third party isn't it? i.e. it covers damage you might cause to others, not yourself. The legal protection just refers you to a no-win-no-fee lawyer I think
    Just looked on the BC website - looks like you're correct although they do sell theft/damage insurance as an extra.
    Not sure which insurance the OP was referring to.
    I hadn't seen the big list of exclusions on the legal support until now either :roll:
  • bigmat
    Yep, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with what BC offer, just that it has its limitations which people should be aware of if they are signing up for "insurance" and "legal protection".
  • You get the discount at Cycle Republic as well ( which is part of Halfords)
  • Hasn't the BC offer of free lights from Strava expired? Mine has.

Yes, its worth it for the legal protection/3rd party insurance, but you'd have to pay to cover your bike.

It's not medical insurance; take that out seperatley.

And the Halfords /Evans /CRC discount is a massive Bonus... Especially as it can typicaly be stacked with flash sales.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    BigMat wrote:
    Yep, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with what BC offer, just that it has its limitations which people should be aware of if they are signing up for "insurance" and "legal protection".

remember it also excludes 3rd party claims where the 3rd party is also a BC member using the insurance to claim against you

that said its worth having, if not just to annoy all those motorists who claim we arent insured :lol:

I was confused by the Strava free lights offer as completing it I seemed to be entered in a draw for some, but if I convinced someone else to join, we'd both get free lights anyway...but as a member already I get nothing !?!

but you do get good ticket offers for Track cycling too, the BC member tickets are generally in the blocks next to the finish line
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Money off code (10%) at Evans also, whilst they are still around that is :(
    It's a reusable code you activate through the BC membership site I think.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Worth for the insurance and the legal coverage by Leigh Day. Had to use Leigh Day twice last year after accidents where I was not at fault. Both were successful.
  • -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    100% worthwhile. Its 25 quid per annum and would save that alone on a few purchases.

Read the stories of the people who are knocked off without legal protection (you may be covered by household insurance).

£25 renewal? Sounds like an introductory price.
  • bigmat
    awavey wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

remember it also excludes 3rd party claims where the 3rd party is also a BC member using the insurance to claim against you

Not sure I follow - it covers third party claims. I don't think they can deny cover just because the claimant happens to be a BC member. And how would you use liability insurance to claim against someone else anyway?