Back into riding after 15 years.

Nofx
Nofx Posts: 14
edited September 2018 in MTB general
Ello. I've just bought a used kona shred. I ain't ridden for 15 years due to health problems. I'm 4 stone over weight & really unfit. Our 6 year olds just learned to ride without stabilisers :D . I've got some good riding a couple of miles from.the house & can put the bike in the car to get there. Looking forward to it :D

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    A'up ;)

Always good to hear about people getting back on a bike!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Welcome.

Riding a few miles to trails could be good for you as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Welcome back to MTB.

Just take it nice an easy and don't do to much too soon! :D
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Nofx
    Cheers guys. I've got some common land near here, gonna be taking little un for some gentle off roading. He's only learnt to ride these past summer holidays so we'll both be taking it slow :lol: . Gotta get new brake pads for my bike, the previous owner somehow covered em in grease :? .
  • cooldad
    Stops them squeaking....

Clean the rotors with isopropyl alcohol as well.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Nofx
    :lol: . An old mate took his bike to Halfords because his discs squealed. They put grease on the pads. He came flying past me at about 40mph & cartwheeled into the brambles. I've got brake cleaner & copper grease ( just did the brakes on my Subaru outback) . I'll put the copper grease on the back of the pads (Where it actually is supposed to be) & clean every thing properly. I like fixing bikes, been doing it for about 40 years. Mates bring their kids bikes to me because of Our local local Halfords reputation :cry:
  • cooldad
    Don't put grease anywhere near the pads. Car brakes work at much higher temps, and are more robust.

They can handle a bit of contamination. Bikes can't

Any auto brake cleaners often contain ingredients that can damage relatively delicate seals. And leave contaminants on rotors.

Just wipe with IPA and fit with no additional gunk.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Nofx
    I was fiddling with the brake last night, I put the screw that holds the brake pads in, it snapped ... So I've gotta get hold of an anti theft star drive to dissamble the caliper :/
  • What are you trying to take apart and why?

What brakes are they?

You sure it's not just a T25 or similar drive?
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Nofx wrote:
    I was fiddling with the brake last night, I put the screw that holds the brake pads in, it snapped ... So I've gotta get hold of an anti theft star drive to dissamble the caliper :/

Why do you need to disassemble the caliper if the pad retaining bolt snapped? Can’t you just unscrew the threaded section of the snapped bolt? The non-threaded section should just pull out.

How tight were trying to screw it in anyway to snap it?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Nofx
    I took the caliper apart so I could get at the other end of the snapped screw. I only did the screw up with a screwdriver, I've never snapped a screw so easily. Anyway, I got at the other end of the screw, held it with mole grips, tried screwing it out & it snapped . I've spotted a ready to fit brake for less than 15 quid, I'll be ordering one over the next couple of days.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What brakes are currently on the bike?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Nofx
    The new rear brakes in the post. I've sorted the front brake with new pads. Not a lot to do to it before I can get out & start playing .
  • JBA wrote:
    What brakes are currently on the bike?

We've asked the same question twice and not had an answer.

Glad the OP feels they've sorted it but always nice if they give us the answers to our questions.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Nofx
    I did reply, but for some reason it didn't post.. The fronts a Hayes mechanical & the rear was a tectro aguilar. The one in the post is a tectro m285. Should get it tomorrow or on Monday. I managed a rolling stoppy after fitting the new pads, that'll do for me. I ain't gonna be doing mad stuff for a while, I'm 15 years out of practice.
  • Nofx wrote:
    I did reply, but for some reason it didn't post.. The fronts a Hayes mechanical & the rear was a tectro aguilar. The one in the post is a tectro m285. Should get it tomorrow or on Monday. I managed a rolling stoppy after fitting the new pads, that'll do for me. I ain't gonna be doing mad stuff for a while, I'm 15 years out of practice.

LOL - keep practising!

Hydraulic brakes do make a massive difference.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Nofx
    My phones had a bit of a battering. The screen saver is literally holding the screen together . My brake didn't turn up today. At least if it turns up on Monday I'll be able to fit it without little un " helping" or getting me to fix his stuff while I'm half way through :)
  • Let us know how you get on.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Nofx
    Got it fitted :) . But I've run out of small zip ties to hold the brake tube in place . Off to Poundland in a minute then :/
  • Nofx
    Been out for a couple of short rides with our 6 year old. More to get him used to off rd riding . I ache a bit ( it's been a very long time out of the saddle). Especially my bum :shock: The brakes ain't bedded in yet, I've not really got above about 15mph. But I'm pleased with the bike ( kona shred ) , it's not a bad trail bike :D