Autumn/winter shoes, not boots

gingerflash1975
gingerflash1975 Posts: 49
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for some autumn/winter road shoes. I don't want boots, just shoes that have less ventilation, maybe an extra layer of insulation, just enough to be a little warmer in autumn without having to resort to overshoes.
I thought the Northwave Flash TH was perfect, but unfortunately I'm between the 44 and 45 and neither is close to being workable for me.
I know Shimano have done shoes like this for mountain biking (black XC51s - I have some that I use for 'cross) but does anyone know of a road equivalent or alternative to the Northwaves?
Thanks.

Comments

• XC51N is the one I meant. Basically I'm looking for a road equivalent of that.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not the answer you want - but overshoes are the obvious choice, why would they not be suitable?
  • mw22
    mw22 Posts: 78
    I had the XC51Ns a couple of years back. I don't think they were much warmer, but not having vents for water to ingress made things better.
    Can you not just go with toe covers? Covers 90% of the venting, no hassle like boots, cheap as chips, waterproof. All I do now for commuting, never need to take them off over winter.
    Road: Kuota Kebel
    TT: Canyon Speedmax
    Work: Norco search
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Or look at mountain bike shoes. Tend to be sturdier and warmer.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I can see where you're coming from. Full-on overshoes of the waterproof or neoprene kind are too warm and sweaty for much of the spring and autumn, and they are a bit of a faff.

I'm assuming MTB shoes are out because you use road cleats?

If you can't find anything suitable I'd second the suggestion of toe covers, possibly paired with a shoe large enough to allow a thicker sock. I swear by Woolie Boolies
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Planet X have Flandrian overshoes - not neoprene - just windproof. I have them on over my winter shoes all of the time and I've elastic laces on the shoes too - so I can just slip them on and off. SO much better than the faff of adjusting overshoes.
  • Duct tape and toe covers.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    keef66 wrote:
    I can see where you're coming from. Full-on overshoes of the waterproof or neoprene kind are too warm and sweaty for much of the spring and autumn, and they are a bit of a faff.

Indeed they are - but the term 'overshoes' covers far more than just neoprene. Oversocks from someone like Prendas would be ideal - and a lot cheaper than a new pair of shoes/cleats.
  • keef66
    That's the thing with cycling, the kit just keeps proliferating. I've got clothing, gloves, headgear etc to suit riding in temperatures from -5 to +35c, and in uninterrupted sunshine, light drizzle, or full monsoon, with or without gale force winds. I sometimes think I spend more time deciding what to wear than actually riding the sodding bike. I know they come in a bewildering range of types / materials, but the last thing I need is a choice of overshoes as well :D

But then again it can be very rewarding when you're mid-ride and you realise that your kit choice has been spot on...
  • keef66
    That's where I got my neoprene overshoes, also only a tenner!
  • Thanks for the replies.

I found the XC51Ns to be considerably warmer. They still let water in but didn't get cold as they weren't all mesh and holes. I wonder why Shimano offer winter shoes for mountain biking but not for the road. I don't think it's because Shimano think we should all be using overshoes, as they offer a road winter boot.

I reckon I spend half of my riding time in 8-15c, damp conditions. I'm sure many others do too. I think it's odd that there isn't a shoe equivalent of 3/4 bibs, LS jersey. Instead, we are expected to wear shoes designed for 30-40c heat and then put neoprene covers over them.

Apart from the warmth, I do not want to wear my posh, white shoes all winter, getting soaked and filthy every ride. No matter how good the overshoes, that still happens. I was planning to get some cheaper (and black) shoes for colder wetter conditions, but it would have been nice to get some that were correct for the conditions straight out of the box.

I use overshoes in the proper winter and they're always pretty rubbish. Still let water in, awkward to put on, restrictive and sweaty, torn after a few rides and ruined after a couple of months.

Anyway, MTB shoes are out as I use road pedals, MTB pedals are out as I have a pedal-based powermeter.
  • keef66
    I wonder why Shimano offer winter shoes for mountain biking but not for the road.
    https://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-foo ... 4AodDRUM2w
  • That's the sort of heavy-duty winter boot that I don't want.