Tube blowouts

Darrenhirst81
Darrenhirst81 Posts: 17
edited September 2018 in Commuting general
Evening all,

I’ve recently started cycling the 13 miles to work and back but seem to be getting tubes blowing out on me all too frequently.

I’ve never had as many as this when cycling for fitness/fun, and it seems to be I’m hitting stones that are causing the tube to let go completely.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to try and decrease the likelihood of this happening so often? Bar riding in the middle of the road.

Ta
Daz

P.S. I’m nowhere near an expert on bikes, only know how to ride, so I apologise now if I’m doing something stupid

Comments

• Evening all,

I’ve recently started cycling the 13 miles to work and back but seem to be getting tubes blowing out on me all too frequently.

I’ve never had as many as this when cycling for fitness/fun, and it seems to be I’m hitting stones that are causing the tube to let go completely.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to try and decrease the likelihood of this happening so often? Bar riding in the middle of the road.

Ta
    Daz

P.S. I’m nowhere near an expert on bikes, only know how to ride, so I apologise now if I’m doing something stupid
    Start by fully deflating your tyres, taking them off, and removing the tubes. Look at the tape that covers the spoke holes inside the rim. Check that there aren’t any sunken bits, or actual holes. Check all the way round the taped bit, look for anything poking up, or anything stuck in any part of the rim. Get a piece of cotton wool, and run it round the circumference. If there’s anything in there, the cotton wool will snag, and you’ll see where it is. Check the tyres carefully for anything sharp, stuck in the treads, hook out anything you find out. Run the cotton wool around the inside of the tyre, and look to see if it snags anything. Check the inside of the tyre is all in one piece, and there aren’t any sections where the carcass has failed, do the same with the side walls. Put the tubes back in, re inflate, and make sure that the tubes are pushed right up inside the tyres, and check right round the circumference for any bulges, or bits where the tyre seems to be lifted, relative to the rest of the tyre ( particularly near the valves ) try riding with the tyres inflated a few psi higher than you have been. Try and avoid puddles, and potholes. See if you have a better time of it.
  • Line the tyre logo up with the valve, then when the tube blows you can locate where it was on the tube and then on the tyre.

Culprit could be :

Hidden thorn in tyre
    Spoke protruding from rim tape
    Split in tyre sidewall
    Brake pads worn and pinching through sidewall and grabbing inner tube
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Convert to tubeless, or get self sealing tubes. Life's too short to be fixing punctures at the side of the road.

Good advice above though ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • What tyres have you got and how many miles have they done? It might be you have ones that are a bit too delicate for commuting or, perhaps, they are just knackered.
  • Thanks all.

Had another puncture yesterday, but this was actually a tiny bit of glass that had got in. Sheffield's roads seem to be covered in the stuff!

I originally had the tyres that came with the bike but they went immediately. Got a pair of Schwalbe Lugano's and they're the one's I've been commuting on. The bike's done just over 800 miles now, mainly on the latter.

I've bought a pair of Conti Gatorskins, but then having read a few comments on here it sounds like I'll be gripless, so going to send those back and get some 4 seasons, unless anybody has a better idea?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus Smart Guard, if you don't mind the weight. You'll struggle to puncture those.

Seriously consider going tubeless though, you'll never look back ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • 100% DO NOT use Gatorskins.

Schwalbe Durano Plus Raceguard are excellent and I never really noticed the weight. Conti GP 4 Seasons are also excellent, reasonably quick winter tyres for bad roads.

I am a tart so use race tyres all year round - Michelin Pro 4 Service Course