backpack

foo606
foo606 Posts: 113
edited September 2018 in MTB general
Anyone suggest a decent medium sized backpack mines gone capput today .
Needs to hold quite a bit of kit and 2 litres of water .Thanks guys

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    How much do you want to spend?

I have an Osprey Raptor 14. It holds everything needed for a day’s riding and has a 3 litre bladder. It’s a great pack but not cheap - around £90 - £100 if you shop around.
    Osprey also do a Raptor 10 that is smaller but also has a 3 litre bladder. CRC are doing them for about £70.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • foo606
    Needs to be good zips went on mine .
    Im not worried in price just as long as its decent and lasts well .
  • This is the one to go for:

Camelbak MULE

https://www.evanscycles.com/camelbak-mu ... EYQAvD_BwE

It's on offer at Evans Cycles for £59.99, which is a bargain (down from £110). :D

The design is slightly different to my MULE, which I've had for about 9 years now. It absolutely refuses to wear out. It is my unofficial back protector and it has done a lot of duty in that respect! When it gets too muddy, I let it dry and then scrub it with a wooden backed floor scrubber and it comes up clean(ish) every time. When it gets a bit stinky it goes in the washing machine and then gets reproofed just like you would do your waterproof. Buy with confidence. :)
  • foo606
    Thanks like the look of both .I will look into the camelbak mule as its £20 cheaper than the osprey .Cheers Guys .
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Dakine Drafter. Been using one for years and still going strong. In fact the bag has outlasted 2 bladders :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Another vote for Camelbak here, had mine for years now and still going strong even after a few offs.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Had my Decathlon pack for 5 years now and use it a lot, replaced the bladder with a Camelback one a couple of years ago. Was only about £30
  • I've got a MULE and a HAWG. Both about 10 years old and still going strong. I mainly use the HAWG as it it bigger and I can get more stuff in it. I'm on my 3rd bladder and get the 3l Karrimor one from SD as it's cheaper.

Only damage was a run in with a barbed wire fence. Other than that all good. Zips are solid and it goes in the washing machine once in a while to freshen it up.

Osprey are also very good.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Another up-vote for the CamelBak M.U.L.E.

I bought a used Camelbak MULE from a colleague at work 7 years ago and he'd had it for 4 years, never gave me any problems.

I've now switched to one of these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q= ... at=product

the 3 litre bladder sits lower down your back and I can say i find it more comfortable that the old MULE, and I can carry a lot of stuff in the bag, far more than I probably need.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    foo606 wrote:
    Needs to be good zips went on mine .
    Im not worried in price just as long as its decent and lasts well .

If its just a zip - take it into any dry cleaners that offer repairs ?
  • foo606
    it had had it Fenix .
    It was a cheapo .Lasted 18 months mind .
  • foo606
    The Dakine looks good too so Im spoilt for choice .Think its going to be how they fair in summer in hot weather.
    Ive ridden in just a vest and it needs to be ok next to skin especially the straps .
    Comfort for me is key .
    So how does yours fair in heat .
  • foo606 wrote:
    The Dakine looks good too so Im spoilt for choice .Think its going to be how they fair in summer in hot weather.
    Ive ridden in just a vest and it needs to be ok next to skin especially the straps .
    Comfort for me is key .

I don't ride in a wifebeater but use a lightweight merino t-shirt. Never had an issue with my HAWG straps.

The small of your back will get a bit sweaty. Mine is an older one that doesn't have the funky new air channels so might not be such an issue.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    foo606 wrote:
    Comfort for me is key .

The Dakine shoulder straps and back padding are very breathable, although I can't say I've ever rode in a vest so not sure what they'd be like against bare skin. They've never bothered me in normal t-shirts or jerseys though.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • My older design MULE has padded bits that create air channels to the side of them. The pads soak up the sweat and also make the backpack comfortable to wear even when fully loaded. As a minimum, I wear a wicking tee shirt under the backpack and it can get a bit sweaty when it's humid, but what else could be expected?

My grandson's Osprey has a frame that keeps the pack off his back. He also wears it over a wicking tee shirt. He hasn't mentioned whether he finds the pack comfortable, too hot etc, one way or another but he sweats like a pig anyway.