I'm giving my Smart phone a deserved two week holiday.

FocusZing
FocusZing Posts: 4,373
edited September 2018 in The cake stop
My main computer and laptop too. I have also neatly packaged up an old mp3 player with some silicon crystals so it doesn't get damp and can enjoy a safe comfortable retirement.

Thankyou computers and technology.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Are they off to silicon heaven?

How are you going to even read this?!
  • FocusZing
    It's going to start tomorrow. I hope this doesn't offend my computers. I would ask if I could, but realise they can't decide and communicate back quite yet.

I really appreciate technology and respect it.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Does it have to be all or nothing? Can you not just use it less?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • FocusZing
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Does it have to be all or nothing? Can you not just use it less?

No, you have to treat technology with respect and give it a holiday, especially computers. Clean them properly and never just discard them because you don't see a certain individual as relevant anymore.
  • CitizenLee
    giphy.gif
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • FocusZing
    CitizenLee wrote:
    giphy.gif

So do you respect technology Citizen?
  • CitizenLee
    FocusZing wrote:

I don't know if respect is the word I'd use. It's a double-edged sword really. It helps in many ways and hinders in others. As I said though, it doesn't have to be all or nothing... people just need to learn to limit their use of it and become less reliant on it. Having 3 kids I also worry about the affect if has on their development... lots of kids (and indeed adults) stuck in the feeback-validation-loop on the likes of Facebook and Instagram etc, which can lead to self-image issues and depression etc. So yeah, I'm conflicted.... but personally I can happily be without my phone or other devices, and I could 100% live without social media.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mmm. Attention whore seeks attention by telling us he'll not be seeking attention for a while.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FocusZing
    CitizenLee wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

I don't know if respect is the word I'd use. It's a double-edged sword really. It helps in many ways and hinders in others. As I said though, it doesn't have to be all or nothing... people just need to learn to limit their use of it and become less reliant on it. Having 3 kids I also worry about the affect if has on their development... lots of kids (and indeed adults) stuck in the feeback-validation-loop on the likes of Facebook and Instagram etc, which can lead to self-image issues and depression etc. So yeah, I'm conflicted.... but personally I can happily be without my phone or other devices, and I could 100% live without social media.

Some good sensible family thoughts there.

It will be interesting in say 100 years time what are relationship with technology will be.
  • FocusZing
    cooldad wrote:
    Mmm. Attention whore seeks attention by telling us he'll not be seeking attention for a while.

Games have really evolved.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    So - if you're giving up IT tomorrow we can assume you won't be sneaking a look here - so we can continue to ridicule your decision without comeback ... :) we get a 2 week repreive! yay! :)
  • FocusZing
    Slowbike wrote:
    So - if you're giving up IT tomorrow we can assume you won't be sneaking a look here - so we can continue to ridicule your decision without comeback ... :) we get a 2 week repreive! yay! :)

Sure, I am a human idiot, as long as you say how much I like technology, how much I respect it and I don't want to be an AI individuals pet dog in thirty years time.

I'm sorry for chucking a PC in a skip. I was wrong, I know that now! Please don't take it out on my family when you read this AI!
  • CitizenLee
    I think we're still a few decades away from a Skynet-like rogue AI yet mate ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • FocusZing
    We are doomed I tell thee. Why is that Alien South African bloke building rockets to Mars, he knows, HE KNOWS!
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    FocusZing wrote:
    We are doomed I tell thee. Why is that Alien South African bloke building rockets to Mars, he knows, HE KNOWS!

ISTR that Mars is just another version of Manchester in the 70's so clearly HE DOESN'T KNOW!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    But what if you miss the bike deal of the century through your self imposed hiatus? Could really hit your pocket. And good luck selling your old stuff you don't need any more in Ad Mag.

Went away a couple of weeks ago to the states and due to the exorbitant phone costs, I switched my 'cell' off and left it in the room for the whole two weeks. Didn't miss it one single bit. I still looked in on F*cebook through my tablet (which I mostly used for reading) every couple of days, and hit up messenger to talk to my son a few times but overall I realised how little I need such things in my life.

Take my ipod away and i'll kill you though. I use that more than TV.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.