Preparing of Long Ride

afham07
afham07 Posts: 21
edited October 2018 in Road beginners
Guys,

I am preparing for my biggest ride, 160km next week.

How do you guys prepare before the long hours ride? Do I need to take electrolite tablet or anything the night before, etc? Any other tips to avoid muscle cramp? Is Kinesiology tape helps?

Thanks.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Best preparation is to have done plenty of distance riding in the weeks/months beforehand. You don't need electrolyte tabs or fake tape - just eat well before/during and ride within your limits.
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    As above don't over think it, its just a bike ride eat as you would, pace yourself if it's a sportive try to ride with others riding at your pace and take advantage of the feed stations.
  • pump up tyres and oil chain day before

have a big dinner and a nice breakfast

ride bicycle

stop when you want to

#bicycleride
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Don't go off too fast. Drink lots. Eat regularly. Don't go off too fast.

Don't go off too fast.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What's your furthest ride so far ? Ideally you build up to longer distances from shorter ones.

As has been said - take it steady and pace yourself. Keep eating and drinking as you go.

Not sure what you'd want kinesiology tape to do ? Are you injured ?
  • Taper your riding in the week before, so your legs feel fresh on the day of the big ride.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • If this is the first, just nail every hill as hard as possible, the recover on the down hills. Taking only one bottle will help keep your weight down.

Pasta the night before is good but dont eat much for breakfast it will just sit in your stomach.

When you blow and feel like youve hit a wall. Htfu and get through it. Malt loaf is cheap and full of energy.

The next one will be different.

Ignore this advice and youll be fine :)
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    You probably can't/won't want to carry food for the whole ride so I would advise you to know the location of a few garages/cafes on the route so you can stop to pick up some calories.

Check the weather forecast and carry a rain coat etc. as required - doing the last 80km cold and wet wouldn't be fun.

Take enough money to get yourself home if it all goes a bit Pete Tong.

Remember to enjoy it!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Have a good nights rest before, eat some slow release carbs before you set off, make sure you’ve dug any pointy stuff out of your tyres before you go as well. Make sure you’re lights and phone are fully charged too.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    How did you get on?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pottssteve wrote:
    You probably can't/won't want to carry food for the whole ride so I would advise you to know the location of a few garages/cafes on the route so you can stop to pick up some calories.

Check the weather forecast and carry a rain coat etc. as required - doing the last 80km cold and wet wouldn't be fun.

Remember to enjoy it!
    It’s a 100 mile ride not Himalayan expedition. You don’t need a picnic hamper of food, 3 pockets in a jersey lots of room for food.
  • pottssteve
    Webboo wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

Remember to enjoy it!
    It’s a 100 mile ride not Himalayan expedition. You don’t need a picnic hamper of food, 3 pockets in a jersey lots of room for food.

Pockets would also possibly contain spare tubes, multi-tool, phone, cash, rain jacket etc. If you burn 50 calories a mile then you will burn 5000 calories on a 100 mile bike ride. Some people eat less, some eat more. From experience, I eat more.

He asked for advice, which I provided. He can choose to follow it, or not. At least I contributed something to the conversation.... :roll:
  • pottssteve wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Pockets would also possibly contain spare tubes, multi-tool
    This is why saddle bags were invented ;)
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Pockets would also possibly contain spare tubes, multi-tool
    This is why saddle bags were invented ;)

Which is why I said "possibly."

Saddle bags are aesthetically unpleasant (Rule #29).

Now go and troll someone else, ladies. :wink:
  • pottssteve wrote:
    So are bulging pockets ;)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Don't go off too fast. Drink lots. Eat regularly. Don't go off too fast.

Don't go off too fast.

This ----^

Best to have a café stop around the mid ride mark so you can stop, refuel and have a rest. If you're not "stopping" during the ride, I'd recommend having something to eat (flapjack or the like) every once in a while, think about breaking the ride into say 6 segments, short stop every one or 2 segments to have a bite to eat on each. I find eating while moving very difficult, unless its something I can grab from my back pocket - fig rolls and jelly babies are good for that. First break might be couple of figs rolls while moving with drink, second break is to stop for a few mins, slightly more food. Have a look at your route to see if there are hills which are a good place to take a pause (at the top so you can admire the view).

Drink plenty, isotonic drink powder/tabs is a good idea, and do NOT go off too fast.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve wrote:
    So are bulging pockets ;)

In my experience that depends what is making them bulge :D
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    But how did the OP get on? We need to know..
  • pottssteve
    Big Harv wrote:
    But how did the OP get on? We need to know..

Maybe it ended badly, hence the lack of an update... :D:o:( :shock:
  • He fell off his bike at the start and was not able to get back on it. Due to fig rolls jelly babies isotonic drinks money for cafe stops. Money to get home maps with planned stops on.

No he didn't fall off his bike he remembered all the advice and took everything with him. Shame no one reminded him to take his bike. Lol lol :D:lol: