ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172

https://www.strava.com/clubs/472362

brum-loop.jpg
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    what about organising a audax for this. I need to do an audax to be able to enter PBP or ofr the qualifier.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    what about organising a audax for this. I need to do an audax to be able to enter PBP or ofr the qualifier.

I have a plan to organise it as an Audax next year, but it won't be a BRM and therefore it won't be a PBP qualifier.

If you need a PREqualifier, you are running out of options, end of September is the cut off... if you manage to get in without a PREqualifier, then you need to complete an SR series next year (200/300/400/600).
    Events need to be coded as BRM {PBP} to be suitable qualifiers.
    If you need more info, drop me an email, no point to discuss PBP further on this thread
  • certificates awaiting names... :D

slide1.jpg?ssl=1&w=450
  • Ugo, zoom in on your route, in Shenstone, where you go from Churchill Road to Main Street, that’s a pedestrian alleyway between the two that has no cycling signs at both ends and a kerb to hop up if you ignore them. Better to go left onto Schoolfields Road, right onto St Johns hill and down New road to reach almost the same point on Lynn lane.
    Other than that the part from Middleton to Brewood would be all ok - from memory.
  • Ugo, zoom in on your route, in Shenstone, where you go from Churchill Road to Main Street, that’s a pedestrian alleyway between the two that has no cycling signs at both ends and a kerb to hop up if you ignore them. Better to go left onto Schoolfields Road, right onto St Johns hill and down New road to reach almost the same point on Lynn lane.
    Other than that the part from Middleton to Brewood would be all ok - from memory.

Well spotted,
    when I recced some of the route I used a slightly different way into Shenstone. I need to amend it

https://www.strava.com/activities/1794402526
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    A mate and I are planning an attempt on the weekend of 20th/21st October, day depending on the weather forecast.
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    A mate and I are planning an attempt on the weekend of 20th/21st October, day depending on the weather forecast.

Excellent! Upon completion I'll post your certificate in your pigeon hole at work and save 55 p of a 2nd class stamp!

We are going this weekend (sunday), I will then post my ride on Strava if you want to use the same route.
    Incidentally I have noticed that the route passes very close to the Purity Brewery... 8) Although their site seems to be undecided whether they close at 1 PM or at 4 PM on saturdays...
  • The route really does go past my front door so I can’t refuse... but I’ll wait until July. I may even be ready by then....
  • The route really does go past my front door so I can’t refuse... but I’ll wait until July. I may even be ready by then....

Looks like July the 6th... I am sorting out the basics, like arranging a village hall for start/finish... the Audax page will go live in October.
  • I look forward to it. Looks a really nice route and a good idea.
  • I’ll be up for this as well.
  • Thanks guys...

Meanwhile the Strava group keeps growing, 36 members as of this morning... :-)
  • Did a bit of route tweaking:

1) Fixed the Shenstone problem

2) rerouted to avoid a quarter of a mile of A41 in Shropshire

3) Shortened the return leg after Studley and avoided the A3400

The route still crosses the old Iron Bridge, although I am not sure it's open currently, with the refurb going on. Alternative is the newer bridge east of the old one.

https://www.strava.com/routes/15143468
  • I may be up for this. I'm 2 hours away but looking to do some more Audax next year. May be away in July but if not I'll journey up for it I think.
  • Looks good, wish I lived closer. Good luck to all, just out of interest Paulo, can you keep thread updated with rides and times?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Looks good, wish I lived closer. Good luck to all, just out of interest Paulo, can you keep thread updated with rides and times?

I will update as much as I can.
  • You can still cross Ironbridge, although you need to dismount, as it’s a walkway on the side of the bridge shared with pedestrians. Nice climb out of there :)
  • fuel2000 wrote:
    You can still cross Ironbridge, although you need to dismount, as it’s a walkway on the side of the bridge shared with pedestrians. Nice climb out of there :)

I mercifully decided to route up the shallower of the two climbs... one day I'll plan a hilly route... not this time 8)
  • A surge in Strava club membership overnight and we are now at 44 members. Can we reach 100 and beat any other Strava club associated with an Audax (PBP aside)?
  • do you have to do the ride (or plan to) to join, not sure how strata clubs work or the etiquette of?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • do you have to do the ride (or plan to) to join, not sure how strata clubs work or the etiquette of?

Don't be silly... just join!!

RIght... done it today, perfect day, other that a stiff breeze... it's a beautiful route, quite hard between Bridgnorth and Bewley... best bits are Cannock Chase, Ironbridge, Brdgnorth, The Wyre Forrest, the Severn valley before Stourport and the last few leafy and fast rolling lanes before Hockey Heath

https://www.strava.com/activities/1845926644
  • Good work fella. If I’d known you were passing I’d have cheered you on.
  • Good work fella. If I’d known you were passing I’d have cheered you on.

A girl in the Strava club did it too, clockwise... we nearly crossed at Ironbridge
  • RIght, I am in the calendar, entires open Oct. 1st... happy to answer any question here or by email.
    By far the best ride around Birmingham for 2019 :-)

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-82/
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Looks like a good route, I'm glad you dropped the part along the A41, that road is not a good idea for cycling, especially at that point... I'm planning to steal the part of the route from Shenstone to Cannock Chase this weekend as the warmup to a gravel ride, as the full 200km is a bit beyond me at the moment. It's a nice thing to aim for though - The closest point on the route (Lynn Lane/Ashcroft Lane in Shenstone) is only 13km from home, so this is virtually on my doorstep.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    Looks like a good route, I'm glad you dropped the part along the A41, that road is not a good idea for cycling, especially at that point... I'm planning to steal the part of the route from Shenstone to Cannock Chase this weekend as the warmup to a gravel ride, as the full 200km is a bit beyond me at the moment. It's a nice thing to aim for though - The closest point on the route (Lynn Lane/Ashcroft Lane in Shenstone) is only 13km from home, so this is virtually on my doorstep.

Something to aim for... July is a long way.
    I also think that people underestimate themselves. When I did my first 400 km, the longest ride I had in my legs was a 230 km... I almost doubled the distance in one go and enjoyed it!
  • Awesome Ugo. Food included too, a proper Audax!

Once we've booked our France trip if it doesn't clash I'll sign up for this.
  • Craigus89 wrote:
    Awesome Ugo. Food included too, a proper Audax!

Food at HQ, yes, I would never organise an Audax without cooking, it's the bit I enjoy the most!!

I hope I can offer a commemorative gift in the price too. That however depends on a few things... including Brexit! :lol::lol:
  • Casual ride for club members... if anyone is local and wants to join

https://www.strava.com/clubs/472362/group_events/389068
  • Casual ride for club members... if anyone is local and wants to join

https://www.strava.com/clubs/472362/group_events/389068

Not sure if you’ve ridden all that route before but an irate resident once stopped me as I was cycling down Roman road, Litle Aston, and told me there was no public right of way at all, if that bothers you.

Also, if anyone baulks at the mighty ford that crosses Hints Lane then just back track a few metres and there’s an off-road path through the trees to the other side of it. Then enjoy my favourite climb round here up to Canwell. Good job I’ve got a duff knee at the moment or I’d show you how it was done :D