best way to clean stans sealant off inside of tyres

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited September 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Good Afternoon,

Had an issue on a ride to work today something large went through my tyre and stans wouldn't seal it up. its like a 5mm cut in the tread (minion dhr 2).

Got a tube in the tyre but want to patch the inside and re use it tubeless again.

My question is what have you guys found best to clean stans sealant off the inside of a tyre?

Would just washing up liquid etc work and let it air dry?

Comments

• Swarfega and a jet washer.
  • I would remove the loose stringy stuff by hand and without spending too much time on it. But I'd leave the well adhered stuff in place as it helps to seal the tyre carcass. That is especially useful on tyres that are not specifically tubeless.

If you have removed the tyre from the wheel, I would put some effort into removing any lumps of latex from the actual tyre bead (and the rim), as the lumps may interfere with sealing next time you inflate the tyre. That advice does not apply if you have only loosened one side of the tyre, maybe to add more sealant.

There may be a case for removing the old latex if you are going to change the type of sealant, say from latex to non-latex, as there may be a chemical reaction that might not be good.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    I've yet to find anything that will shift it.

I rub it off with fingers, may need to be done over a couple of days as it leaves finger tips sore.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Confession time: I know you're supposed to change your sealant every 6 months, but I haven't even topped up in nearly 18 months. The tyres still hold air perfectly so I just got lazy about it. I expect it will be like opening a cold cheese and onion pastie when I eventually do need to take the tyres off :P
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    Confession time: I know you're supposed to change your sealant every 6 months, but I haven't even topped up in nearly 18 months. The tyres still hold air perfectly so I just got lazy about it. I expect it will be like opening a cold cheese and onion pastie when I eventually do need to take the tyres off :P

Don't fix what isn't broken!

If it was latex sealant then it will have gone off by now. Can you hear a slight rumbling noise when you spin the wheel? That will be a latex 3-D starfish rolling about inside the tyre. The latex has also probably sealed the inside of the tyre carcass, so as long as you don't get any new punctures all will be well. But if you get a new puncture, with no latex to seal it then you may get a flat. If your sealant is not a latex, then it may neither have gone off nor run out (due to the lack of punctures).

As I said, don't fix what isn't broken, but if you have latex sealant, I'd take a spare tube and the means to use it.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Bit of sandpaper to rough the carcass up and provide a good key for the glue
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    JGTR wrote:
    Bit of sandpaper to rough the carcass up and provide a good key for the glue

Yes the tyre patches came with a piece of sandpaper.

Think I’ve sorted it, got tyre patched and holding air with some fresh stans.

Surprised how easy maxxis tyres seat on rim with track pump didn’t even bother taking out valve core.

Cheers for all other replies I’ve just cleaned tyre with some paper towel and left stans on the tyre couldn’t be bothered to clean it in the end. I’ll be replacing it soon anyway.