spokes breaking

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited September 2018 in Workshop
Hi, I am currently riding a set of Cero AR24's having covered approx. 1.5k miles on them. All was well until a spoke broke on a ride after a fairly large stone came up and broke one spoke. I got it replaced, but since then another two have gone since covering about another couple hundred miles, is the wheel on it's way out? I am about 80kg so not overly heavy so don't see that being the issue.
Any help?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Get the wheel properly re-tensioned. Sounds like the first spoke replacement might have upset the balance a bit..
  • Going to take it to a different shop this time. First one charged me £20 to change spoke (which I provided) and retune wheel. When second one went on next ride they said that can happen when one spoke goes, the one next to it can end up going to and did repair again, at least only charged me £4 this time
  • no it beyond just a re tension. fatigue has set in. They all have to be replaced and tensioned properly. It may also be the wheel is simply not up to the loads you place on it and 1500 miles is all it will do for you. How you ride your bike is important in fact more so than your weight.

sadly most shops will replace a spoke and that its. when a wheel comes in to me with a broken spoke I will say I can replace it but that is not fixing the problem. another will go at some point. The fix is to replace all of them but if I dont think the wheel is up to the rider i do sometimes refuse the job.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Have to agree with TCC if they were poorly tensioned to start you'll just go round pinging spokes constantly. Best off just getting the whole wheel re laced.

Wheelsets rated as "Sub100Kg" so your OK weight wise, is it front or rear? Either way though get the wheel re laced, itll save money in the long run.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Fatigue after 1500 miles..?? I'd be pretty upset if I'd bought a set of wheels that needed a complete rebuild after what might only be a few months worth of riding...
  • it is the rear wheel. Wheelset cost £250, is it really worth getting all the spokes replaced?
  • Imposter wrote:
    Fatigue after 1500 miles..?? I'd be pretty upset if I'd bought a set of wheels that needed a complete rebuild after what might only be a few months worth of riding...

Don't think it's a world record... Remember the classic thread about SS Wheels? :mrgreen:

Fatigue life depends on load and cycles, if the wheel is poor, the load spokes experience is greater than it should, so they can fatigue even at low number of cycles
    left the forum March 2023
  • no it beyond just a re tension. fatigue has set in. They all have to be replaced and tensioned properly. It may also be the wheel is simply not up to the loads you place on it and 1500 miles is all it will do for you. How you ride your bike is important in fact more so than your weight.

sadly most shops will replace a spoke and that its. when a wheel comes in to me with a broken spoke I will say I can replace it but that is not fixing the problem. another will go at some point. The fix is to replace all of them but if I dont think the wheel is up to the rider i do sometimes refuse the job.

thats reasonable advice. I generally change a spoke, explaining that its worth doing but that sometimes once ones gone its not unusual for one or more to go but replacing the first and checking and adjusting spoke tension throughout the wheel is a good belt and braces approach that might avoid the need and cost to rebuild the wheel. Mostly replacing and adjusting tension and dish seems to work.

Admittedly i don't do many since its not my business and i probably have more time to spend on the job than i would if i were in a shop. It does provide a good steady source of beers though
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Had a rear wheel built two years ago by a local guy and despite 10,000 miles of daily commuting/abuse loaded with a pannier the wheel is barely out of true. It was properly tensioned and cost £75 for spokes and labour but the guy is that confident of his work he offers a lifetime warranty. I've got to pick another wheel at the end of the month so will let him have a quick look at the original wheel then.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee wrote:
    Had a rear wheel built two years ago by a local guy and despite 10,000 miles of daily commuting/abuse loaded with a pannier the wheel is barely out of true. It was properly tensioned and cost £75 for spokes and labour but the guy is that confident of his work he offers a lifetime warranty. I've got to pick another wheel at the end of the month so will let him have a quick look at the original wheel then.

Yup wheels are pretty tough things :)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Yup wheels are pretty tough things :)

The wheel survived a 20mph pothole strike that cracked the frame back in April.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.