Little upgrades Cube Ltd Pro 2009

infinitydreams
infinitydreams Posts: 56
edited September 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Whilst I decide on what new bike to get I’m keen to improve the weight and ride on my old Cube ltd Pro 2009.

It’s got a RS Reba 100mm fork which seems pretty pint so I was thinking of stucking a carbon rigid fork in. Niner seem like the best but wow they aren’t cheap. Any decent alternatives for less?

What else would be a good upgrade to cut weight? Wheels and tyres I guess.

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Why not ride it as is and save the money towards the new bike? . Unless you ride on the road a rigid fork is a big step backwards imo.

Bigger benefit would be lighter wheels.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Reba is a good fork. What is wrong with yours?
    Have you ever serviced the fork? A simple lower leg service can dramatically improve the performance of 'tired' forks.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Get rid of all the gubbins that might be on the bike (mudguards, lights, computers....)

Lighter tyres and going tubeless would be my next thing. You don't have to buy tubeless tyres, or to have tubeless rims.

Go 1x instead of the 3x that your 2009 bike probably is.

Look at things like lighter seatposts, bars, and stem before wheels. They don't have to be carbon because different grades of aluminium alloy can be very different in weight for the same performance.

But the best place to spend your money would be on another bike with a light frame and then upgrade from there. It does not have to be a new 2018 bike, it could be a new bike from previous years (see Pauls Cycles), it could be an ex demonstrator or an ex-hire bike. It could even be a used one.