Car Sat Nav attached on my bike....good idea?

topshopper19
topshopper19 Posts: 20
edited September 2018 in Commuting general
Hi guys,

Many of these Bike Computers (like the Garmin Edge models) just seem substantially overpriced. So i've come up with an idea - you decide if its a good idea or if i'm bonkers.

I want to buy a car sat nav which is quite small in size. Then somehow attach it to the handlebars, perhaps with zip ties?

If it rains, I'll put some kind of transparant plastic over it.

Any objections? :lol::lol:

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And how do you power it? Unless your bike has a cigarette lighter.

And as oxman says, quite different functions.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If I'm doing a long ride in unknown territory I'll check the route and write village names in sharpy on duck tape and put it over the top of my shoes.

And a smart phone in the back pocket if I have to check.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    If you want navigation buy a bike specific gps.
    If you want speed/distance etc but don’t want to pay for a gps just get a Cateye wireless cycle computer etc.Cheap as chips.
  • I can’t see any sensible argument for doing this at all. Bike specific systems are designed to work well on bikes, car systems aren’t.
  • This is a terrible idea.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    This is a terrible idea.

but at least you'll know what lane to be in at busy motorway intersections.
  • oxoman wrote:
    That's only an option for foreign cyclists as seen in and around the London area / M25,M40.
    Or Uber Eats riders in Birmingham :mrgreen:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... m-45183556
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Where are you navigating ?
  • Likely answer is NO, depending on actual use case.

Car GPs units will route you done motorways, dual carriageways.
    Cycling GPS units should take into account modal filters, cycle lanes, no cycling routes etc.
    And I've yet to find a car GPS that records ANT+ data, or completes 8 hours without charge.

Different tools, different uses.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • This is a terrible idea.

:lol::lol:

thanks
  • Fenix wrote:
    Where are you navigating ?

all across London. Mainly east London several times a day due to new business.
  • oxoman wrote:
    That's only an option for foreign cyclists as seen in and around the London area / M25,M40.

:D:lol::lol::lol:
  • Likely answer is NO, depending on actual use case.

Car GPs units will route you done motorways, dual carriageways.
    Cycling GPS units should take into account modal filters, cycle lanes, no cycling routes etc.
    And I've yet to find a car GPS that records ANT+ data, or completes 8 hours without charge.

Different tools, different uses.

Thanks.

:D
  • A to Z and one of those handlebar map holder things.
  • Maybe use Google maps on your phone, you can set that for cycling rather than car use and you can get a gadget that will attach it to your handlebars.