The Gherkin - facilities in or nearby

russells5
russells5 Posts: 5
edited September 2018 in Commuting chat
Hi all

My company is relocating to the Gherkin - current building has great facilities (bike room, locker, showers, towels etc) and all I need to transport every day is laptop, shirt and smalls in a backpack as everything else (including suit) is left at work - but from what Ive been told so far the Gherkin has bike racks and a shower in the toilets on our floor - so not ideal at all..

Was wondering whether anyone else out there works in the Gherkin and can provide any insider info.... dont really want to be lugging suit, towel etc everyday - even on panniers.

Alternatively anyone know of any gym/bikehub type places in the City which offer parking/showers/lockers - Ive found this in Soho (https://www.h2clubs.co.uk/) but nothing so far in the City

cheers

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    You'll have Konditor & Cook on the ground floor. No other facilities are required.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Leave the shoes and suit at work, buy a small/thin camping towel.

Can you carry some shorts and flip flops to get you from the shower room to your desk? Had something similar in my old place.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Sounds rough.

I think you're burger-ed! :) :roll:
  • Given the location, do you work for an insurance company? If your company has a presence in Lloyds I think you may be able to use their facilities. Not 100% sure on this but worth a look.

+1 on Konditor and Cook. That place'll be the death of me!
  • My firms moving into an office opposite the gherkin soon. Had never heard of konditor & cook before. Thanks for the heads up!!!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    This has now be thread-jacked as the burger thread.

Is there anywhere that does a decent veggie burger now?

I've been off the meat for 2.5 years now and still trying to find a good alternative. The worst are those who swap the beef patty with giant fecking mushroom. I hate fecking mushrooms.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited September 2018
    https://beyondmeat.com/store-locator - Honest Burger & some Tescos should stock them.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm just round the corner in Gracechurch Street, our company used to have staff on the 13 & 14th floors of the Gherkin some years back. We have great facilities here, shame I can't get you in.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • All the veggies i know rate the stuff Nandos does.
  • The street food market at the bottom of the Gherkin every Thursday is awesome too.

Are many folk here insurance workers?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    All the veggies i know rate the stuff Nandos does.
    My wife likes them, but i'm not that keen.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Yup +1 for insurance here.
  • Always thought there might be a few insurance weirdos like myself on here!
  • cjcp
    Brokers or underwriters? You guys marine or non-marine/property?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Just crossed to over to the dark side of broking having been an underwriter. Environmental liability.
  • cjcp wrote:
    Leave the shoes and suit at work, buy a small/thin camping towel.

Can you carry some shorts and flip flops to get you from the shower room to your desk? Had something similar in my old place.

Unfortunately there are no cupboards etc on the office floor - 100% clean desk/hot desk
  • Errorist wrote:
    Given the location, do you work for an insurance company? If your company has a presence in Lloyds I think you may be able to use their facilities. Not 100% sure on this but worth a look.

+1 on Konditor and Cook. That place'll be the death of me!

Good guess - but an IT services company rather than an insurer or broker - I'll look into Lloyds - thanks
  • cjcp wrote:
    Brokers or underwriters? You guys marine or non-marine/property?

IT Audit. Firm does abit of everything including Lloyds.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I'm an insurancer too. Regional though in Birmingham.

I was broking until July, but moved back to underwriting, wonder if any of us have crossed paths IRL.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cjcp
    So, c'mon, how many of you have at one time or another sunk a few at the Lamb Tavern at lunchtime, particularly on Christmas Eve? :)

Not in insurance myself, but have dealt with folks on the claims and underwriting side.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Don't like the Lamb myself. More of a fan of Hung Drawn & Quartered on Great Tower Street.
  • Old tea house nice selection of beers.
    The brewdog place is a cracking suntrap.
  • cjcp
    Don't like the Lamb myself. More of a fan of Hung Drawn & Quartered on Great Tower Street.

Only been in there once; it wasn't really close enough.

That Brewdog place looks good.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • They have masses of craft beers not just their own stuff ranging from 2% though to 13%. Something for everyone, and it's a massive site which is cool. Downside is there is very little soft furnishings so it's very noisy.

Doubt it will last, though. Must be expensive to rent that space.
  • The Brewdog is good, its got enough space to get away from the crowing city boys! That whole building has just been refubished so I reckon they got a great deal on the rent so its not left vacant. The gym behind it looks good aswell but at north of a £150 a month its a no from me.
  • prawny wrote:

I was broking until July, but moved back to underwriting, wonder if any of us have crossed paths IRL.

Look to get back into underwriting too. The broking world is not a pleasant place!
  • My boss is a big fan of the Lamb so end up there far too often.

My favorite is the Draft House on Seething Lane. Good selection of craft beers and dirty burgers. Failing that +1 for the Hung Drawn.
  • I had a quick scan of the details when the building was last sold, 200 bike spaces but no mention of showers. I've asked a colleague to check further. Don't take a window seat next to the leaking windows.

Given how many of you are in insurance I assume you've been in the Lamb since 11 minutes ago.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • I had a quick scan of the details when the building was last sold, 200 bike spaces but no mention of showers. I've asked a colleague to check further. Don't take a window seat next to the leaking windows.

Given how many of you are in insurance I assume you've been in the Lamb since 11 minutes ago.

Yup #londonmarket
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Errorist wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Look to get back into underwriting too. The broking world is not a pleasant place!

Amen, I seem to be doing a lot more work now, but much less BS. Can't imagine how crappy London must be if Brum is this bad.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017