Quick Centaur cassette question (warning! possibly silly)

def_defyr
def_defyr Posts: 93
edited September 2018 in Workshop
So, I'm not particularly maintenance oriented any more, but I'm going to overhaul my Centaur 10 drivetrain this winter on my steel "comfort" bike (IF Crown Jewel). Right now I have a standard short-cage derailleur from 2003 (still works fine!!), last time I replaced chain, cables and gears was about 3-4 years ago, maybe 3-4,000 (mostly flat or rolling) kms...so it's past time...

Am running 53/39 and 13-26, and have always done so) but looking online I don't see many 13-26 rear cassettes out there. I do see 12-27 on sale at Wiggle, which would probably be fine for me -- I don't need any higher gear than a 13 but a slightly lower gear is always welcome...

Any issued with going to 12-27 from 13-26 with short-cage Centaur derailleur? Would be going from 27 total tooth difference to 29. Will keep the 53-39 in front.

Thanks in advance, apologies if obvious.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    It will work fine.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    It will work fine.

That's what I was hoping to hear, thanks very much!
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Just to add... The extra tooth will only be relevant with regards to cage/chain length when you are in the large front chain ring and the largest cassette ring, which if you select gears like I do, will be 'never', hence not an issue.
    Half man, Half bike
  • Ridgerider wrote:
    Just to add... The extra tooth will only be relevant with regards to cage/chain length when you are in the large front chain ring and the largest cassette ring, which if you select gears like I do, will be 'never', hence not an issue.

Nor I...thanks!