Bosal Saffier tow bar bike rack

david7m
david7m Posts: 636
edited September 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Went BPW yesterday with some friends, which was a ball ache fetching a van from work and the associated back and forth.

Think a tow bar mounted device is the way forward.

These any good?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2871034933

Dave

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just look at the bike spacing, with the modern penchant for wide bars you can end up in a muddle , I have a halfords rack and at least the platforms for each bike and quite long so I can space the bikes differently along that to avoid bar tips/controls clashing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • david7m wrote:
    Hi

Went BPW yesterday with some friends, which was a ball ache fetching a van from work and the associated back and forth.

Think a tow bar mounted device is the way forward.

These any good?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2871034933

Dave

Yes, very good rack, I have had the same model for about 5 years now and going strong, bought it from the same place. I really like the tilt feature allowing you to open the boot even when fully loaded.

As mentioned above though, take time to set it right (the wheel trays slide each side) to fit your bikes properly.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ym54QDiVvd9Hgu7k6

Thats pictured with 2 x boardmans in Large and and 1 x Bossnut in XL

I use mine on the Q7 as its too high (realistically) for the roof rack used on the E-class.

The only negative I find with it is that when folding down the main upright (for long term storage) it takes a while to unwind the plastic handles as the "spring" within the bar fights you - a pair of mole grips makes this a thousand times easier and 10 second operation rather than 2 mins.

I think in a similar manner to you, I have access to a number of vans and even a lorry if I want it, but I cant be bothered with the faffing around changing vehicles etc.
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • david7m
    Thanks both for your comments.

Does it lock to car and possible to lock bikes to rack (with the clamps rather than a padlock and covered steel loop)?

Dave
  • david7m wrote:
    Thanks both for your comments.

Does it lock to car and possible to lock bikes to rack (with the clamps rather than a padlock and covered steel loop)?

Dave

Yes, once clamped onto the towball there is a handle you can wind in and lock (it essentially winds an M8 stud in which sits under the ball into the neck of the towball) to stop you lifting it off - its more a deterrent than a true anti theft device, anybody would soon get past it if they really wanted them off.

I just use a very long combination lock and wrap around all bikes and the rack frame - again a deterrent more than anything - I rarely leave bikes on without having a line of sight.
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • david7m
    Perfect, cheers.
    Dave