Thin Rim Tape?

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited September 2018 in Workshop
Got some tight fitting rims and could do with any extra mm's to help.

Could anyone recommend thin but still good quality rim tape please.

Comments

• mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Veloplugs!
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    I've used Stans 12mm tubeless tape on a set of problematic wheels. Covered the spoke holes but the tyre sits on the bare metal.

Though TBH, a single wrap of tubeless tape of any size is a pretty good solution. Not only is it thin, its also low friction, so easy to slide the tyre into position.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm not sure my tyres go anywhere near my rim tape ?
  • cougie wrote:
    I'm not sure my tyres go anywhere near my rim tape ?

Oh yes, they do.

It's the bead on the opposite side to the side you're trying to get on (or off) the rim that sits in the well of the rim (resting on the rim tape), hence the OP trying to reduce the height of this by using thin tape, which would make getting the last bit of the tyre flipped onto the rim a bit easier.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

Not sure where you get the idea from that a woven cloth rim tape is 'thin'..?
  • jpower
    Agreed my LBS but the velox cloth tape as the link it's by no means thin and it's 16mm tape when it Dips into the well it's sitting on the edges and gets pushed about when trying to seat the tyre.

Veloplugs sounds nice but think I'd feel better with thin rim tape.

Anyone? Need to get that wheel on real soon.
  • Tubeless tape is a good answer. I use the Hunt stuff in my clincher wheels to make my life easier with tight tyres, just make sure the opposite bead is fully in the rim bed when you try to get the other side in.
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    jpower wrote:
    Got some tight fitting rims and could do with any extra mm's to help.

Could anyone recommend thin but still good quality rim tape please.
    You can use electrical tape (cheapest) or also Schwalbe tubeless tape it's very thin.!
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Orlok wrote:
    You can use electrical tape
    I'm pretty sure that's a bad idea.

Probably fine at mountain bike pressures but on a road bike you're pushing your luck, it isn't that strong.
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    TimothyW wrote:
    Orlok wrote:
    You can use electrical tape
    I'm pretty sure that's a bad idea.

Probably fine at mountain bike pressures but on a road bike you're pushing your luck, it isn't that strong.
    Oh yeah, strong enough when you put 2 layers in the rim.!
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • jpower
    Heard the same about electrical tape, possible heat built up on road tyres, won’t risk that.

So another LBS had Stan no tubes tape was much thinner then velox, got that on now. Tyre can’t say it was easy but at least I know I tried what I could.

Here to no flats anytime soon :-)

Got to say this new era of tight tyre and rim combos is seriously making me considering go tubeless.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Really? Most rim tape is quite thin already. Say 1/2 mm at the most for thick stuff. I'd say the thin stuff would be 1/4mm at the least. Would this make an appreciable difference in mounting a problematic tyre?

I'm changing my tape on my Felt rims as they use factory non adhesive plastic band that slips and reveals the spoke holes. I'm replacing with Velox fabric tape that is well stuck down.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• insulting tape is perfectly fine. its used commonly. you can use and its fine.

#itsfine
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jpower wrote:
    Heard the same about electrical tape, possible heat built up on road tyres, won’t risk that.

So another LBS had Stan no tubes tape was much thinner then velox, got that on now. Tyre can’t say it was easy but at least I know I tried what I could.

Here to no flats anytime soon :-)

Got to say this new era of tight tyre and rim combos is seriously making me considering go tubeless.

or go tubular and save the hassle

#doitproperly

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jpower
    Tubular once I have a team car following me around :-)

So maybe it's in my head but 2 changes later and yes it's not an easy change but it's def not a scary one like how is this ever going to fit. I saw reviews of this wheel and tons of people mentioning tyres are tight.

I think velox fabric I had on was not that wide and was just about fitting the well area, however was getting in the way of the tyre going into the well. The thinner and wider stands tape is quite slippery so tyre is easier to seat into the well area.

A good days work :-)
  • why would you need a team car following you round?

#curious

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jpower
    why would you need a team car following you round?

#curious

Heard its near impossible to repair one on the road, right?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    insulting tape is perfectly fine. its used commonly. you can use and its fine.

#itsfine

Constructive criticism is fine, insults are not
  • jpower wrote:
    why would you need a team car following you round?

#curious

Heard its near impossible to repair one on the road, right?

nope - carry a small can of foam or just a rolled up tub with some tape in a pocket - bit bigger than an inner tube but 300 times easier to change.mf has one rolled up, pre taped that he carries.

pull off old tub. pop on new tub. inflate, ride away. job jobbed.

#simples

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.