Scott Genius vs Mondraker

hypernova
hypernova Posts: 9
edited September 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

Me again, I'm going to buy my first full sus, and I've narrowed down my choice to the Scott Genius 740 and the Mondraker Foxy, or possibly Mondraker Dune.

Looking for advice on which I should choose since I'm new to serious mountain biking. (Been riding road for a long time now.)

The Mondraker appeals to me because of the geometry. The spec appears to be significantly less good compared to the Scott (11 speed instead of 12 groupset wise, really not sure about the fork and shock) but it is also 200 pounds cheaper...

The Scott appeals because it has things like remote lockout actually on the bars, which is only a small thing but I can imagine it would be really quite useful. It also has 12 speed groupset and can fit both 27.5 and 29 er wheelsets.

Both have good reviews for their own reasons. A lot of reviews critisized the Mondraker for not being particularly good value for money. I think with the Scott I'm getting a lot of bike for each $ spent, but I've heard it said it's better to buy a really good frame and then spend money upgrading down the line. The Mondraker has a lot of scope for upgrades as components wear out, the Scott kind of doesn't and would probably be more expensive to repair should something get broken or fail.

What do you guys think?

Spec for the Scott here: https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/prod ... =265263007

Spec for (a) Mondraker here: (cheapest option, 200 less than the Scott) http://www.mondraker.com/es/en/2019-foxy-275

Comments

• slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    The Scott is better value for money. Better suspension setup and better drivetrain. They are similar weights and pretty similar geometry. In terms of parts wearing out and needing to change them, how often will you be riding, what will you be doing? If you maintain it well I can't see that being a problem.

The best thing would be to try and test both of them and see which one you prefer. If I had to choose I would go with the Scott, better bike out of the box.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • slc123 wrote:
    The best thing would be to try and test both of them and see which one you prefer.

I agree but unfortunatly I don't know anyone who has one or anywhere where I might be able to go (in the UK) to test either or both of them... I don't think I can rent either of them from anywhere for a day either
  • hypernova wrote:
    slc123 wrote:
    The best thing would be to try and test both of them and see which one you prefer.

I agree but unfortunatly I don't know anyone who has one or anywhere where I might be able to go (in the UK) to test either or both of them... I don't think I can rent either of them from anywhere for a day either

Not sure if you're still looking, but I bought my Genius 740 from these Guys
    https://www.onyerbike.com/

They did offer me the option of renting the bike for a day/weekend so I could try before I buy.
    I've ridden mine on
    * Roads
    * Canal Tow Paths
    * Bridleways
    * Train Centres (Sherwood Pines, Dalby Forest)

And can't fault the bike, it's handled everything that I've thrown at it with aplomb, I did end up buying a torque wrench as at the 6 week service it appeared that one of the bolts worked loose, but I've been checking since and it's not come loose since. The bike can handle more than the rider and I'm happy with my purchase.

I've not had experience with the Mondraker though so I can't say the Genius is better.
    Also the 2019 Genius's have been announced and it looks like the 740 is no longer being offered, the new 750 is cheaper, and uses NX Eagle Groupset, there is a Genius 940 that uses a mix and match of GX/NX groupset.
  • I can see why you might appreciate a fork lockout on the bar. But I have very rarely found it necessary to even use the fork lockout. OK, when there is a long, long road climb it might help a bit (and half way up I'll take any help I can get). But whenever I have used the lockout, I nearly always forget to turn it off when it's time to descend! So I just stopped using the lockout completely. If you have a smooth pedalling style and are content to pedal from a seated position(recommended), then you should not be troubled with pedal bounce. Some suspension designs are better for this than others though.