Any Question for Dr of Cycling

Gijo
Gijo Posts: 5
edited September 2018 in Women's cycling forum
Hi Ladies

New to Bike Radar but i've been cycling for 25 years!!! (Road/MTB and Track) I have literally done that! And been there!
I run (free) a group ride every Friday near Henley if anyone would like to join. Please ask for info. I also run a Beginners course for ladies, mostly teaching them how to convert from trainers to clip in pedals and how to change a flat tire :lol:
But, mostly I am hear to answer ANY question. I have been in the cycling industry for 20 years and build and service all my own bikes :D
So please, I am bursting with knowledge and would love to help anyone.
My sister says I have a Doctorate in Cycling 8)
Any questions......I'm listening

Comments

• hi impressive for sure. thanks for your willingness to help. ok here is one. what nutrition do you use on the bike on long and very long rides (including hydration).
  • Can men ask questions too?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Gijo
    hi impressive for sure. thanks for your willingness to help. ok here is one. what nutrition do you use on the bike on long and very long rides (including hydration).

Hi Maria

For short rides 1hr or less, I use a zero calorie hydration tablet. No use in adding calories when we are trying to loose them :lol: . For 1.5hrs and longer I use a few different products but I always make sure it has a level of protein in it, like the High Five Energy 4:1. Protein helps to rebuild and repair muscles after a longer ride so it's a good idea to top up :D
  • Gijo
    Can men ask questions too?

Of course Matthew, ask away :lol: Just didn't think any would be on the "women's forum" silly me :D
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Gijo wrote:
    hi impressive for sure. thanks for your willingness to help. ok here is one. what nutrition do you use on the bike on long and very long rides (including hydration).

Hi Maria

For short rides 1hr or less, I use a zero calorie hydration tablet. No use in adding calories when we are trying to loose them :lol: . For 1.5hrs and longer I use a few different products but I always make sure it has a level of protein in it, like the High Five Energy 4:1. Protein helps to rebuild and repair muscles after a longer ride so it's a good idea to top up :D
    Isn’t 1.5 hours getting on for 2.5 hours a short ride. You are not going to need protein during a ride of that duration after maybe.
  • Gijo
    Webboo wrote:
    Gijo wrote:

Hi Maria

Isn’t 1.5 hours getting on for 2.5 hours a short ride. You are not going to need protein during a ride of that duration after maybe.
    Guess it's all relative to how fit you are and how far you ride 8)
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If you get exhausted after 2 hours riding nutrition isn’t the issue.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Webboo wrote:
    If you get exhausted after 2 hours riding nutrition isn’t the issue.
    Nobody mentioned exhaustion - and it's easy to be exhausted after 2hrs riding - if you push hard enough....

Training the body to use fat stores rather than glycogen takes time.
    I can now do a club ride and hardly eat a thing - I've been training my body to not ask for food good few years (the training duration, not the duration between meals ;) ) I'm nowhere near as good as endurance riders though.

Beginners will struggle, both in terms of general fitness and body requirements. They tend to be working quite hard and the body needs to replenish the glycogen they've used -so eating during a couple of hours riding is a requirement.