Best wheelset under $1,000 (USD)

PotatoWheelz
PotatoWheelz Posts: 4
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
After a few years of riding on my stock wheels, I've decided it's time for an upgrade. What is the best wheelset some of you have bought recently for under $1k? These will be used for training rides about 4 days a week, and possibly a casual race here and there. Curious to hear about performance, durability, and last but not least looks and sound.

Some sets I have been looking at:
DT Swiss PR 1400 Dicut Oxic - The 32 size set soon to come out for 2019, I've seen the 21's as low as about $600 for the set this year. Aluminum.

Profile Design 1/Fifty - Seems like a sort of entry level carbon set, though not a ton of reviews.

Reynolds Assault - Also carbon. Saw a set of these going for $1,050 new. Seem to have a lot of positive feedback.

Comments

• $1k, is that about £4000 UK pounds?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
    Thanks buddy.
  • I am in the same boat ... im looking at either Reynolds Assault / Strike or combo. Im about 215lbs, im thinking i need a stiffer set that i can ride training and Tri's. What are you guys recommending??

Well £774.43 at today's exchange rate.
  • yjt0189 wrote:
    I am in the same boat ... im looking at either Reynolds Assault / Strike or combo. Im about 215lbs, im thinking i need a stiffer set that i can ride training and Tri's. What are you guys recommending??

So I ended up going with the Reynolds Assaults. Got a good price on them and they seemed to have the most high end features for the price point. I have to say that the braking is a little terrifying compared to my old aluminum rims, so much that I am ordering new calipers in hopes that it will improve the performance a bit. I don't have any other carbon rims to compare to so maybe this is just the norm. A friend has some new ENVE's with the same complaint so maybe this is as good as it gets for carbon rim brakes.

As expected climbing is easier on these wheels as they are stiffer and lighter than the trash wheels I had before.
    Not sure what wheels you are riding now, but if you are 215lbs make sure you have some badass brakes for the downhill on these.
  • yjt0189 wrote:
    I am in the same boat ... im looking at either Reynolds Assault / Strike or combo. Im about 215lbs, im thinking i need a stiffer set that i can ride training and Tri's. What are you guys recommending??

So I ended up going with the Reynolds Assaults. Got a good price on them and they seemed to have the most high end features for the price point. I have to say that the braking is a little terrifying compared to my old aluminum rims, so much that I am ordering new calipers in hopes that it will improve the performance a bit. I don't have any other carbon rims to compare to so maybe this is just the norm. A friend has some new ENVE's with the same complaint so maybe this is as good as it gets for carbon rim brakes.

As expected climbing is easier on these wheels as they are stiffer and lighter than the trash wheels I had before.
    Not sure what wheels you are riding now, but if you are 215lbs make sure you have some badass brakes for the downhill on these.

New calipers will make very little difference. Get better pads instead
  • Thanks for the update - So overall your happy with your purchase? How much did you pay? Will do on the pads. I have not pulled the trigger yet, but i am thinking the Reynolds Assault / Strike combo will be what i buy. HOW old was your old wheel set?
    I wonder, and will make new post, if newer Hubs have advanced to help improve efficient roll just as much as aero efficiency ?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    flight147z wrote:
    yjt0189 wrote:

New calipers will make very little difference. Get better pads instead
    And you know this without even asking what his existing campers are...... :roll: :roll:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D