Speedplay Float screw?

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited September 2018 in Workshop
Hi - I have the light action speedplay and they have no float screws. I believe I can recreate this by drilling a small hole and then adding screws just like how they are on zero pedals.

Could someone with zero please let me know the length and thickness of the screws, I am trying to find the same ones, or if someone knows what they are called that would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,553
    i measured a spare, m4 x 16.5mm grub screw

the end needs to be flat with just a slight chamfer on the edge, not ball/point end (otherwise the tab on the spring will tend to deflect under pressure), getting longer ones and cutting down may be the best way to achieve this

it'll be fiddly drilling and threading holes with exactly the right alignment and without weakening the body material
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jpower
    sungod wrote:
    i measured a spare, m4 x 16.5mm grub screw

the end needs to be flat with just a slight chamfer on the edge, not ball/point end (otherwise the tab on the spring will tend to deflect under pressure), getting longer ones and cutting down may be the best way to achieve this

it'll be fiddly drilling and threading holes with exactly the right alignment and without weakening the body material

Thanks for the info, yes I to started to wonder about threading of grub screws etc, so I went for quite a harsh solution, its def helped reduce heel float and in the indoor trainer seem to work fine, will see how it goes on the road tomorrow but integrity seems not to be effected. Picture of the nasty mess:-

B22_A2128-13_DB-46_A9-8_D46-_EC25_D37_DB7_A5.jpg
  • I love a bit of engineering:)
  • jpower
    I love a bit of engineering:)

Pretty brutal and ugly, but hey it works, I think :-)
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    Hi

I've seen a thread on this before where the solution was to glue a piece of plastic either side of the metal prong that the grub screws are there to stop. It stops fiddly drilling and once you know the right size it's easy enough to replicate again on new cleats
  • jpower
    Long ride today and it seemed to work perfectly.

I’ll look for the other thread as I have 2 other cleats I need to do the same.