Vuelta 2018, Stage 14: Cistierna > Les Praeres. Nava - 171 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited September 2018 in Pro race
Cistierna > Les Praeres. Nava 08/09/2018 - Stage 14 - 171 km

The 14th stage in the Vuelta a España and second stage in the Asturias- Leon triptych ends at a summit that has never been included in the Spanish Grand Tour. Les Praeres is a 4 kilometres toil with an average gradient of 12.5%. The 171 kilometres route takes in four intermediate climbs. Once agin the winding terrain will favour escapes and be hard for GC teams to control.

bc61c

The race sets off in Cistierna to return to Asturias over the Puerto de San Isidro (1,520 metres) and continue to an unprecedented arrival at Les Praeres de Nava. The climb in the Sierra de Peñamayor is a 4 kilometres torture with an average gradient of 12.5%. The final haul up kicks in hard with a 16% slope in the first 2.2 kilometres.

d0b21

Possibly, the break of the day takes shape on the first uphill, which is unclassified and peaks at 8.6 kilometres. The route continues to the aforementioned San Isidro before the riders drop down a descent of almost 30 kilometres to the foot of the next climb,
puerto-san-isidro.jpg
Alto de la Colladona, which is reached halfway. The Colladona is a 5.3 kilometres ascent with an average gradient of 7.1%.
Profile_14_AltodeColladona2.png
subida.JPG
And on it goes to the Alto de la Mozqueta, a 9.4 kilometres climb at 6.2%. A short drop leads to an equally short uphill before the route drops down to San Martín del Rey Aurelio, and 4 kilometres later the penultimate uphill begins.
14mozqueta.jpg
The Alto de la Falla de Los Lobos climbs for 5.2 kilometres at 6.7%.
FayaDeLosLobosS.gif
The summit is crested with 21 kilometres remaining and following a drop and a flat section of around 10 kilometres the final haul up appears.
1513914528_477281_1513914794_noticia_normal.jpg

Final kms.

stage-14-finish.jpg

235A6D5DA02659FB49182559FB478B.jpg

Favourites 14th stage 2018 Vuelta a España
**** Random breakaway.
*** Simon Yates, Nairo Quintana, Wilco Kelderman, Miguel Ángel López
** Thibaut Pinot, Richie Porte, Vincenzo Nibali, Bauke Mollema
* Steven Kruijswijk, George Bennett, Thomas De Gendt, Ion Izagirre

Team hotels for this stage>
stage-14-hotel.jpg

Cistierna
1 La Vuelta stage has departed from Cistierna

3,290 inhabitants

León Province
The history of Cistierna would not be what it is without the Esla River. Its past, of particular importance during Roman times, revolves around this river formation that attracted miners from all over the peninsula. In 2016, David de la Cruz threatened Nairo Quintana's lead with an unthinkable escape from the departure at Cistierna that allowed him to take La Roja from the Columbian, albeit just for one day.
The remains of its Roman past, the traces left by the railway and mining, are all Cistierna signs of identity. Some architectural jewels remain from its industrial tradition, such as the Iron Bridge, from the school of Gustave Eiffel. Rescued from abandonment for the transit of strollers and bike riders, it is the destination of one of the last signposted, conditioned routes.
The railway’s importance is reflected in the Railway Museum, which houses a curious collection of objects and photographs linked to the rail life, which is completed with the old locomotive repair workshop.
The luxurious , a jewel of railway heritage offers a route through the beautiful landscapes of the North, from León to Santiago. The Expreso de La Robla, which evokes the route of the old Hullero, also has a compulsory stop in Cistierna.

03_slider_Transcantabrico.jpg

But we cannot conceive any route without considering its gastronomy, and here the palate is delighted with game, trout, cheeses, charcuterie, mountain stew and exquisite sweets. Among them, the one that stands out the most is the Olla Ferroviaria de Cistierna, a dish that is now a Registered Trademark. A traditional annual competition brings together dozens of participants in a delicious gastronomic battle that concludes with a lively tasting. A true paradise for the senses.
fichero_124576_20150222.jpg

Les Praeres. Nava
Unprecedented Vuelta finale

5,346 inhabitants

Asturias Province
In Nava, cider is a way of life, whether it is through its production, or the tourism attracted by such festivities as the Cider Festival or the very popular Cider Museum, which has its headquarters in this Asturian town. This will be an unprecedented La Vuelta arrival, in which riders will try to stick to the etymological definition of Nava, which literally means “flat land between mountains”.
To speak of Nava is to speak of cider… as the municipality is the epicentre of cider in Asturias. It is, therefore, not surprising that it is home to one of the main touristic and cultural icons that pay homage to this drink, the Cider Museum: a true living testament to Asturian traditions and a compulsory stop for all those who visit Nava. Always punctual, year after year, the Cider Festival takes place during the month of July. It has been declared of National Touristic Interest and is the oldest and most important one of its kind in Asturias.

dsc003931.jpg

Nava is also synonymous with nature. The landscapes that take shape in the Spring, with the blossoming apple trees, or in Autumn, are a true pleasure for the senses, as is a visit to the Peñamayor Mountain Range, where “Les Praeres” sit in a privileged space that shows all the facets of Asturias.
Hiking trails, villages, hidden churches and palaces in the lovely, bucolic settings, such as the Ferrería en Fuentesanta where, according to legend, Doña Jimena, wife of El Cid Campeador, lived. These are just a small sample of everything that Nava, “the Cider Town” can offer.

5620842159_6aaf66d6bb_b.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    In Nava, cider is a way of life
    Sounds like my kind of town. :D

I thought I'd seen a profile of the final climb which made it look harder. A one plus kilometre section at 17 percent? Or am I mixing it up with another stage?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm wrote:

I thought I'd seen a profile of the final climb which made it look harder. A one plus kilometre section at 17 percent? Or am I mixing it up with another stage?

You mean this?

stage-14-alto-les-praeres-nava.jpg

I don't think that means 17% for a km, just a pitch.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    But we cannot conceive any route without considering its gastronomy ... the one that stands out the most is the Olla Ferroviaria de Cistierna

fichero_124576_20150222.jpg
    Olla Ferroviaria means Railway Pot, and the dish of the same name is basically a stew cooked slowly over charcoal in a Railway Pot. The pot was originally a type of mini-stove used by railway workers to make warm meals as they moved from place to place while constructing the 200+ mile long railway between León and Bilbao. In this special pot's bottom, a small charcoal fire is made, and the food is cooked in the smaller pot which fits into the top.
    In his text Blazing Saddles mentions the importance of the railways to Cistierna and this special two-part pot is seen in Blazing Saddles photo from above. Sideways on, it looks like this

(traditional versions)
    ICAL396206-kod--396x282@Leonoticias.jpg

or (modern version)
    cache_3245185.jpg?t=1352193750

There are several variations of the stew recipe, but typically first lean meat, garlic and onions are cooked in the inner pot above the charcoal (the onions perhaps roasted beforehand), and then coarsely-chopped leeks, green peppers, and carrots are added, together with bay leaves and white wine. Sweet paprika pepper is typically also added, as sometimes are haricot beans, chickpeas or chorizo. Sliced potatoes are often later added to the surface of the stew with, as necessary, extra water to make sure all ingredients are covered by liquid while everything slowly cooks.
  • Van Baarle has been forced to abandon and Sivakov was dropped almost from the start, when Kwiatkowski exploded the peloton.

de Gendt, Woods, Roche, Garcia and Bookwalter have joined him in the initial breakaway.
    Looking as if they might be it for the day.
  • Second Sky rider Sivakov quits the race.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    DeadCalm wrote:

Has anyone visited the cider bars in the area? Poured from a height to aerate. Some waiters do it nonchalantly over their backs while gazing into the distance, visitors pour most of it on the floor. Not a place for your best shoes.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

Has anyone visited the cider bars in the area? Poured from a height to aerate. Some waiters do it nonchalantly over their backs while gazing into the distance, visitors pour most of it on the floor. Not a place for your best shoes.
    I had it like that in a bar in Madrid once. I've got a picture of me doing it with no spillage.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

I had it like that in a bar in Madrid once. I've got a picture of me doing it with no spillage.

Cider_fiestas.jpg

I was going to stick a shot in the preview, so might as well add it now, since there appears zero interest in the race, despite whole stage coverage.
    Not sure how much longer I'm going to flog this dead horse.
  • DeadCalm
    It's a cracking thread opener befitting of a really good stage.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    Lol at the Flecha Recon. Think he found that climb quite hard.
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm
    So Lopez is in group 3 right? I don't have commentary.
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm wrote:
    Lol at the Flecha Recon. Think he found that climb quite hard.

A pity they had to show when the racing is full on, then have an ad break.
    Typical Eurosport placement.
  • DeadCalm wrote:

If group 3 is the peloton, then yes.
  • Kwiato rolls the dice.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm wrote:

If group 3 is the peloton, then yes.
    Thanks.
    Team My Man 2022:

• Over the Alto Los Lobos. Was the town at the bottom La Bamba? :P

Kwiat>G2(the peloton inc Lopez et al)>G3(de la Cruz)>G4(Herrada)
  • DeadCalm
    Meintjes didn't look safe to get back on his bike. Hope he's okay.
    Team My Man 2022:

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    edited September 2018
    Kwia climbing out Of the undergrowthr looking like Morrisey with twigs sticking out his back

Edit : sorry meant meijes
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,478
    First time I've had to endure Kirby for a while, I think I've already complete my bingo card. Whinging constantly at the motorbike he is relying on for pictures (although I suspect his commentary would be just as accurate if the camera wasn't there). Nibali's demon descending has also been checked off.
  • Pross
    Kruiswijk alternating between looking like he's riding away and then getting dragged back. Now caught by Valverde, Quintana, Yates, Lopez and QS rider. Quintana and Lopez pushing on with 2k left.
  • Pross
    Back together. Mas is the QS rider, Pinot there too. Quintana and Lopez go again and get a big gap, Lopez being a limpet.
  • Pross
    I think they'll get caught as Quintana is fed up with Lopez wheel sucking.
  • Pross
    Yates attacks and gets a small gap which is opening.
  • Yates takes stage win.
  • Pross
    Yates from Lopez and Valverde. Yates back in red. The two Colombians looked like they'd pull Yates back but we're only interested in marking each other. Both of them need to sort themselves out and look at the bigger picture.
  • Kelderman the big loser.
    Valverde still in line for red, after the ITT, next Tuesday, if he copes on Covadonga.
  • Valverde continuing to be that ultra loyal domestique for Quintana there :mrgreen:

Great ride by Yates.
  • DeadCalm
    Had Lopez for PTP but even so, didn't want him to win. Not a fan of his tactical approach.

Well chuffed for my man taking the win. That climb looked brutal.
    Team My Man 2022:

• Gallopin remains in line to receive the Haimar Zubeldia award from Pello Bilbao, in Madrid.
  • Pross
    Valverde continuing to be that ultra loyal domestique for Quintana there :mrgreen:

Great ride by Yates.

He had no choice really, Quintana was only interested in Lopez and then got dropped by him at the top. Valverde pulled back Kruijswijk a couple of times then left Quintana to go so I think he played his part.