Skewers

casatikid
casatikid Posts: 229
edited September 2018 in Road general
Purchased a pair of Giant SLR1 42mm carbon wheels this weekend. Fantastic wheels but the skewers seem very heavy.
Anyone suggest a lighter pair that would be okay with these wheels?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited September 2018
    [unhelpful reply]Can I suggest not bothering? Worrying about skewers is right up there with weighing your valve caps*, IMO.[unhelpful reply/}

* - 5 points to anyone who spots the irony here..
  • CASATIKID wrote:
    Purchased a pair of Giant SLR1 42mm carbon wheels this weekend. Fantastic wheels but the skewers seem very heavy.
    Anyone suggest a lighter pair that would be okay with these wheels?
    Thanks in advance!
    How much weight do you expect to save?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Whatever random skewers I get on any bike, I always swap out for decent internal cam ones like Shimano.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Apart from a little weight save a nice pair of lightweight skewers can bling the bike up a bit.
    I use these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOURIERS-QR- ... 2425716543
    I think they are available in different colours
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    Apart from a little weight save a nice pair of lightweight skewers can bling the bike up a bit.

Identical to Planet X's ti skewers - except the PX versions are £8 cheaper.
  • Imposter wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    Apart from a little weight save a nice pair of lightweight skewers can bling the bike up a bit.

Ideal :D
  • OnTheRopes wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:

Ideal :D
    Standard Shimano all day long.
  • Imposter wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:

This - MF has the carbon/ti PX ones on all his bikes and has never had a problem

#bargain
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I used to use ChiTanium ones from eBay HK when I had still QR equipped bikes. Cheap, light and never had any issues.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Livewire
    Livewire Posts: 91
    edited September 2018
    I prefer skewers without the lever on the end, so you remove them using an allen key. Makes for a cleaner look plus they are probably lighter due to not having a lever.

I carry a multi tool wherever I go so will always be able to remove a wheel if need be.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Halo-Hex-Key-S ... gIA4_D_BwE
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Er so not quick release then?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Livewire wrote:
    I prefer the quick release skewers without the lever on the end, so you remove them using an allen key. Makes for a cleaner look plus they are probably lighter due to not having a lever.

I carry a multi tool wherever I go so will always be able to remove a wheel if need be.

The only reason to use these that I can see is that it makes wheel theft more challenging.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • cooldad wrote:
    Er so not quick release then?

Post now edited :D
    Svetty wrote:
    Livewire wrote:
    I prefer the quick release skewers without the lever on the end, so you remove them using an allen key. Makes for a cleaner look plus they are probably lighter due to not having a lever.

The only reason to use these that I can see is that it makes wheel theft more challenging.

My OCD cant cope with the look of levers sticking out :?
  • Livewire wrote:
    I prefer skewers without the lever on the end, so you remove them using an allen key. Makes for a cleaner look plus they are probably lighter due to not having a lever.

they are heavier than normal onesbecause they are made of steel so they don't chew up as opposed to carbon/ti ones like PX do.

#efficiency

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • F**k it I just ordered a pair of the https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSPXTISTQ ... bon-levers

Cant wait to go out and smash all of my PB's but my eyes will have to put up with the look of the levers.
  • so long as you have bought the black ones all is cool- they are really thin and nice looking so no dramas. enjoy.

#gains

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • you can shorten the old skewers and add an old jockey wheel to make a chain keeper for maintenance.
    #bikethrifty
  • And I thought this was a thread about barbecues !
  • In case you were wondering how much weight you could save - here's a set of standard Mavic skewers on the left compared to a set of cheap Token brand titanium skewers on the right.

skewers.jpg?w=600

Talking in "cost per grams saved" that's probably good compared to some upgrades.
  • In case you were wondering how much weight you could save - here's a set of standard Mavic skewers on the left compared to a set of cheap Token brand titanium skewers on the right.

skewers.jpg?w=600

Talking in "cost per grams saved" that's probably good compared to some upgrades.
    yeah, 60g, all over it.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Whatever random skewers I get on any bike, I always swap out for decent internal cam ones like Shimano.

This
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I like the look of the bling pauls components ones & tune ac14 but just have the shimano internal ones as cheaper

External ones a are rubbish.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    In case you were wondering how much weight you could save - here's a set of standard Mavic skewers on the left compared to a set of cheap Token brand titanium skewers on the right.

skewers.jpg?w=600

I’d not bother with the last mouthful of tea at the cafe stop and save myself a few quid. Or not carry a spare inner tube or two.
  • so long as you have bought the black ones all is cool- they are really thin and nice looking so no dramas. enjoy.

#gains

Turns out the steel skewers I have are not so heavy after all, plus the planetX rear skewer is not long enough to fit my frame! So lesson learned and £25 down the drain.

2b8f1bf8-8b12-44c7-86db-5d4ec6f2ef61_zpsjufnv1l9.jpg469e55ea-c645-4dcd-8acf-741f9ba877d3_zps0j7ehz5i.jpg
  • And a whole SIX GRAMS lighter than my Ti set! I got swindled! Haha! :-)
  • Livewire wrote:
    so long as you have bought the black ones all is cool- they are really thin and nice looking so no dramas. enjoy.

#gains

Turns out the steel skewers I have are not so heavy after all, plus the planetX rear skewer is not long enough to fit my frame! So lesson learned and £25 down the drain.

2b8f1bf8-8b12-44c7-86db-5d4ec6f2ef61_zpsjufnv1l9.jpg469e55ea-c645-4dcd-8acf-741f9ba877d3_zps0j7ehz5i.jpg

stop being so dramatic and send them back if you don't want them.

#dramalama

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • errr - you've saved a third of the weight on a set of skewers. thats pretty darn good. what did you expect?

#STUNNED

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Livewire wrote:
    so long as you have bought the black ones all is cool- they are really thin and nice looking so no dramas. enjoy.

#gains

stop being so dramatic and send them back if you don't want them.

#dramalama

Gosh you sound just like my wife!!

#pipedownandgetbackinthekitchen