Velo Birmingham & Midlands May 12 2019

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
A surprising return 100 mile closed road sportive - totally different route to 2017, more over solihull way.

Be interested to see the take up and DNS figures - who has 100 miles in them in May ? - I know most of us on here probably will - but if the idea is to attract new cyclists

Will probably do it as it so close to me.

Comments

• As a citizen of Solihull, I'll make sure I stockpile on tacks ahead of the event... :lol:

Perfect date for me, squeezed between two massive Audax I have planned, I had zero intentions to ride my bike on the day... I will be out cheering... :wink:

I had a look at the proposed route, it's your usual Midlands rolling course, nothing to shout about and no views of particular interest. No climbs to tell your children "you did it!" and an overall more urban route than the previous incarnation... it even visits Coventry!!
    However, I assume people will enjoy the closed roads and will have a good time crossing the river Blythe multiple times... :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    <hardly any negative stuff

Are you feeling ok? do you need a health checkup ? :lol:
  • it doesn’t look terribly inspiring.
  • Slowbike wrote:
    <hardly any negative stuff

Are you feeling ok? do you need a health checkup ? :lol:

Ha ha... If it helps to create some noise around Coventry City of Culture 2021 it has to be a good thing. The route sucks, but I suppose people don't care too much about trivialities like "a good route", otherwise they wouldn't ride RL100.

At least one could argue that there is a point in closing those roads for a cycling event, as nobody in the right state of mind would otherwise cycle in Coventry and Birmingham for leisure... closing more rural roads seems a bit gratuitous.

For a better route, look no further than this

439a10e9-e02f-43cf-a895-6a3ba3baa13d.png
  • Ugo's Audax route through the countryside certainly looks vastly more interesting than Velo Birmingham's endless trudge around the dullness of West Midlands suburbia. Looking at the route, two thirds of the Velo must be located in built-up areas.

CSM have not publicized the route on the website but a draft and provisional route was given to Solihull MBC which can found in Appendix A of a Cabinet Report at http://eservices.solihull.gov.uk/mginte ... 20Ride.pdf

I also suspect that this event will cause disruption to CyclingUK's annual event at the Meriden Cycling Memorial.

For a better route, look no further than this

439a10e9-e02f-43cf-a895-6a3ba3baa13d.png

Ugo, this looks like it goes right past my house. Where’s a bigger version of this map?

I loved VeloBirmingham, it was one of my best days ever on the bike, great fun. That new route though, hmm, I’m not so convinced.
  • kingrollo
    ugos route looks very middle class to me.
  • kingrollo wrote:
    ugos route looks very middle class to me.
    Well when I said it went right past my house, I wouldn’t necessarily see it as my driveway is so very long.... I’ll ask the gardener to keep any eye out though. :lol:

• Ugo, this looks like it goes right past my house. Where’s a bigger version of this map?

I loved VeloBirmingham, it was one of my best days ever on the bike, great fun. That new route though, hmm, I’m not so convinced.

It's here... but you can join the Strava club I created (follow the link on the other thread)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28461800

I have a plan to run it next year as an Audax... either July or September, still have to decide... in the meantime, please do the loop (or part of it) and give me some feedback on the route

Off topic, I know... :roll:
  • kingrollo

Ugo, this looks like it goes right past my house. Where’s a bigger version of this map?

It's here... but you can join the Strava club I created (follow the link on the other thread)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28461800

I have a plan to run it next year as an Audax... either July or September, still have to decide... in the meantime, please do the loop (or part of it) and give me some feedback on the route

Off topic, I know... :roll:

why have you omitted that bastion of the working class....Weoley castle ?......shame on you !
  • kingrollo wrote:

why have you omitted that bastion of the working class....Weoley castle ?......shame on you !

once again, read the rules of the challenge on the Strava club... :wink:
  • I agree the route doesn’t look that pretty, but the idea of cycling round more urban roads - that are usually full of cars - has a certain appeal.

I’ll likely be doing it.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    A friend sent me this today, and I'm interested!
    Gonna be tough after a winter of nothing, but something to aim for.
    Like the idea of closed roads so I can't get lost like Sunday just gone for first sportive:)
    Dave
  • Pre-Velo Birmingham Prep Event: Sunrise and Snowdrop Express Audax

Each February there is a very popular audax centred on Worcestershire. It is 123km in length and not too hilly. Be warned though, it is usually full-up before December.

Entry to the 2019 event can be found here: Sunrise Express ; Snowdrop Express

Event information though still referring to 2018 can be found here: http://beaconrcc.org.uk/audaxes/sunrise ... p-express/
  • Pre-Velo Birmingham Prep Event: Sunrise and Snowdrop Express Audax

Each February there is a very popular audax centred on Worcestershire. It is 123km in length and not too hilly. Be warned though, it is usually full-up before December.

Entry to the 2019 event can be found here: Sunrise Express ; Snowdrop Express

Event information though still referring to 2018 can be found here: http://beaconrcc.org.uk/audaxes/sunrise ... p-express/

Entered the Sunrise, hoping for wind and drizzle... :lol: 'cause the alternative is ice... :?
  • I’ve still got the Velo Birmingham route in my Garmin, I think Id rather do that route again, than the new proposed route. With a couple of minor tweaks, that would be a good option for a non local ( like me ) I can get my bike in my bike box, shove it on the cross country train to Birmingham New Street, stay at the Travelodge on Broad street, and be right next to a decent Wetherspoons, and near to the Brewdog bar as well.
  • near to the Brewdog bar as well.
    Quite why you'd want to go there I have no idea :D

Go to the Victoria at the end of the street instead, a much nicer pub 8)
  • I agree the route doesn’t look that pretty, but the idea of cycling round more urban roads - that are usually full of cars - has a certain appeal.

I’ll likely be doing it.

Everyone is free to choose their own style and colour of curtains, but I don't see the appeal of riding on artificially traffic free city roads and I don't see it as a way to encourage more people to ride after the event. Those novice event cyclists aren't likely to risk a city ride after the event imo.

I've lived in Southampton for ~28 years and only discovered the bliss of riding beyond Horton Heath and into the South Downs last summer, it was less than 20mins away from SO18 and I had no idea... My cycling history down here would have been so different if I had known, rather than putting up with city commuting chaos and short trips to the shops etc.!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo

I’ll likely be doing it.

Everyone is free to choose their own style and colour of curtains, but I don't see the appeal of riding on artificially traffic free city roads and I don't see it as a way to encourage more people to ride after the event. Those novice event cyclists aren't likely to risk a city ride after the event imo.

I've lived in Southampton for ~28 years and only discovered the bliss of riding beyond Horton Heath and into the South Downs last summer, it was less than 20mins away from SO18 and I had no idea... My cycling history down here would have been so different if I had known, rather than putting up with city commuting chaos and short trips to the shops etc.!

Don't know the effect in Birmingham...
    In London, RL 100 bashed an open door... Velo South is completely pointless in that respect. Birmingham severely lacks infrastructure. I have cycled a few times into Birmingham (probably three times in as many years) and one has to select the route carefully, more carefully than in London. There is fantastic canal path netwrok, which could be developed and promoted (it has been to some extent).
    But this ride is a game of two halves... there is also Coventry, which has a unique opportunity to do something, with the City of Culture thing coming up. Whether Velo Brum fits into these plans or not it's anyone's guess. Coventry is just as bad, in terms of cycling infrastructure

I’ll likely be doing it.

As soon as you get out the back of Wickham it’s like a different country.
  • kingrollo
    £79 entry - and the course will be a lot flatter than the 2017 version.
  • kingrollo wrote:
    Has that been officially announced?
  • If you are not willing to pay £79 or willing to wait until Spring 2019 to Velo Birmingham then you may interesting in Beyond the Dyke - 6th October, a 200km audax starting from Belbroughton in North Worcestershire, heading off towards Mid-Wales via the Clee Hills, Knighton, Presteigne, Teme Valley and back.

Some hills but nothing gratuitous. Food for riders at the beginning and end of the ride.

It is a friendly event and you will be more than welcome.

http://beaconrcc.org.uk/audaxes/autumn-beyond-the-dyke/

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28170384

120b.jpg

Picturesque scenery
    Quiet country lanes and B roads, plus some low usage A roads.
    Open 'free' controls where proofs of passage can easily be obtained
    Plenty of cafes and shops available at control locations
    RidewithGPS downloads
    Comprehensive and tested route cards
    Shower and changing facilities
    Free parking
    Light refreshments at the start
    Post event food at HQ
    Some light snacks at the start
    On-the-day validation of successful audax rides Audax Altitude Awards statistics are as follows:
    Climbing: 2628 m
    Partial AAA eligible climbing: 1594 m
    Partial AAA start: 5.6 km
    Partial AAA distance: 107.0 km
    AAA points: 1.75
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498

Er - Traffic free roads is bliss - especially through town where for once, you can either blat it - or slow down and take in the surroundings - without having to worry about a car/bus/lorry trying to knock you off ...
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo wrote:
    Has that been officially announced?

No not yet - a few charities get advanced tickets and thats the price quoted to them.
  • kingrollo wrote:

I might be wrong, but the route is designed around what the councils are likely to accept. There are plenty of motorways (M40, M42, M6, M69) and elevated A-roads (A45, A46) in the area, which means minor road closures won't cause as much disruption as they would in other areas.
    A brief look at the course, I can't see any obvious climb... undulations around Fillongey, but nothing that would appear on Strava as a 4th cat. There is a just about a very easy 4th cat out of Maxstoke, but I don't think they even go that way.

If you want hills for your money, the Fred Whitton Challenge is on the same day... :wink:
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo wrote:

I might be wrong, but the route is designed around what the councils are likely to accept. There are plenty of motorways (M40, M42, M6, M69) and elevated A-roads (A45, A46) in the area, which means minor road closures won't cause as much disruption as they would in other areas.
    A brief look at the course, I can't see any obvious climb... undulations around Fillongey, but nothing that would appear on Strava as a 4th cat. There is a just about a very easy 4th cat out of Maxstoke, but I don'tp think they even go that way.

If you want hills for your money, the Fred Whitton Challenge is on the same day... :wink:

It was and maybe still is part of birmingham cycle revolution. The idea was to get more people cycling ..with that in mind a severely hilly route in may would imo be counter productive. if you want a hilly sportive tour of the wrekin is i beleive the same day.

you can Theorise forever on what will and what wont get people on bikes....and tbh i am not convinced may is the best month. i didnt get out regular until april this year !
  • kingrollo wrote:

That’s put the final nail in the coffin, 79 quid for a dull, and flat route, nowhere near where I live. I think I’ll pass.

• That’s put the final nail in the coffin, 79 quid for a dull, and flat route, nowhere near where I live. I think I’ll pass.

Join the Revolution on the 6th of July then... :D