Riding 170 Miles in 1 Day Advice

InconveniencedBadger
edited September 2018 in Tour & expedition
Hi,
Next Monday I'll be cycling from Looe in Cornwall to Salisbury in Wiltshire in 1 day in aid of a charity local to where I live - my route is approximately 170 miles. This will be my first time riding such distance - I have ridden up to 123 miles in a day previously and ride about 150 miles weekly. Any tips as to how to enhance the experience would really be appreciated!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Basically it is 2-3 hours longer than you have ridden already... not a big deal, just do it.
    left the forum March 2023
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What he said...

Just take it steady - no need for speeds or sprints. Keep eating as you go.

Be prepared - as its a long day the weather might change so have options for extra kit. And lights too. I'd be using them in the daytime too.

Have fun.
  • All done! It was a ride with many highs and lows, from the changeable weather to the terrain itself, but it was overall a phenomenal experience - I'll be doing more rides like this in the future! I've raised over £400 now and am hoping to reach £600. Thanks to both of you who replied - your comments proved to be true and at the end, I even felt as though I could've gone further if I had to! :D
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Well done :)
  • Well done, if you got to the end feeling reasonable, you got your strategy spot on.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Well done! 200 next time?
  • cld531c wrote:
    Well done! 200 next time?

250?

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-249/
  • Thanks - hopefully I'll find an excuse to do a ride of over 200 miles at some point soon - 250 perhaps. Busy year ahead for me though - I've just started 6th form the day after getting back from my ride! Also looking into racing - I reckon I'll need a better bike for that though!
  • Thanks - hopefully I'll find an excuse to do a ride of over 200 miles at some point soon - 250 perhaps. Busy year ahead for me though - I've just started 6th form the day after getting back from my ride! Also looking into racing - I reckon I'll need a better bike for that though!

I'm older than your dad... :roll:

I'm older than your dad... :roll:
    You must be really very very very old then! :lol::lol:
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Thanks - hopefully I'll find an excuse to do a ride of over 200 miles at some point soon - 250 perhaps.
    Also looking into racing - I reckon I'll need a better bike for that though!
    Next year's: https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/17282 :roll:
    (or one of the more local events)