Noooooo my direto is kaputt

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited September 2018 in Indoor training and turbo forum
Went to do a training session this morning and it wouldn't turn on. No lights nothing.
Contacted elite and went through various things, including checking the power source etc but everything failed.

They have advised me to either return to them for repair or go back to the place of purchase for the warranty claim.

Absolutely gutted.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Not as gutted as you would have been if it had been out of warranty presumably?

If they fix or replace it I'd put it down as an inconvenience. You really using it much at this time of year?

I can't think of anything worse at any time of year TBH, but my son who's a gym bunny has just set his old bike up on a second hand turbo in his cellar and is loving it, in spite of the fact that the resistance lever is stuck on something like Hardknott and he doesn't have a fan :D
  • redvision
    keef66 wrote:
    Not as gutted as you would have been if it had been out of warranty presumably?

If they fix or replace it I'd put it down as an inconvenience. You really using it much at this time of year?

I can't think of anything worse at any time of year TBH, but my son who's a gym bunny has just set his old bike up on a second hand turbo in his cellar and is loving it, in spite of the fact that the resistance lever is stuck on something like Hardknott and he doesn't have a fan :D

Yeah, tbh I have missed much of the good weather due to a specific training block my coach set.
    That actually finished on Monday, so at least it made it through that. Just gutted that this has happened and god knows how long it will take to sort.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    That's a new one for the Direto. I took the belt cover off of mine a couple of weeks ago just to check the belt as my warranty is about due to expire. Thankfully the belt looks fine. Must admit though, I'm tempted by the Drivo II. Not for its stupidly accurate power of 0.5% or ability to replicate the severest of climbs, but for how it can respond virtually instantly to short sprint intervals.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • redvision
    philthy3 wrote:
    That's a new one for the Direto. I took the belt cover off of mine a couple of weeks ago just to check the belt as my warranty is about due to expire. Thankfully the belt looks fine. Must admit though, I'm tempted by the Drivo II. Not for its stupidly accurate power of 0.5% or ability to replicate the severest of climbs, but for how it can respond virtually instantly to short sprint intervals.

Yeah I know. I think elite were quite keen to get it back to them as they seemed surprised, so don't think it's a common problem.

Decided to go through retailer though and can't fault halfords. It is being collected today and been offered a full refund, despite having it for several months.

Would normally just get another as it has been superb but I am tempted to upgrade to the drivo 2 or even switch back to Wahoo and try the new silent kickr.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    New Kickr Core looks good, not sure when it will be available though.
  • redvision
    Well i decided to go for the new quiet kickr. I was a bit unsure whether it would be worth the upgrade from the direto, plus i had a bad experience with a 2nd gen kickr a couple of years ago, but i have to say, first impressions are very good.
    The thing most noticeable, which was the main reason i have gone for this, is the quietness. It really is pretty much silent apart from the noise of the drivetrain.

Is it worth the extra over the direto?? Well for me the answer is yes, but that is based purely on the noise level factor.

Anyway, will post a review up when i have done a few more sessions on it.
  • StillGoing
    My Direto has stopped working with ERG mode using Sufferfest. Not sure if this is a problem with Sufferfest or the Direto, but given the problems a few are having with ERG mode using various platforms, I suspect its the Direto.
  • redvision
    philthy3 wrote:
    My Direto has stopped working with ERG mode using Sufferfest. Not sure if this is a problem with Sufferfest or the Direto, but given the problems a few are having with ERG mode using various platforms, I suspect its the Direto.

Have you contacted elite? They were very helpful when my direto developed it's problem.

If you do need to replace it the new kickr is absolutely fantastic. The kickr core should be available soon and in the same price range as the direto. If it's half as good as the 2018 kickr it's an absolute bargain.
  • StillGoing
    redvision wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Have you contacted elite? They were very helpful when my direto developed it's problem.

If you do need to replace it the new kickr is absolutely fantastic. The kickr core should be available soon and in the same price range as the direto. If it's half as good as the 2018 kickr it's an absolute bargain.

Yes the request has gone in. I've had power drop outs using TrainerRoad with ANT+ on Windows and now Sufferfest ERG mode isn't working properly via BTE on the iPad. The good news is the belt is in fine form. :D
  • StillGoing
    After a bit of testing I've discovered the following;
    Sufferfest ERG mode, works perfectly using ANT+ and Windows, but doesn't work properly using BTE and the iPad.
    TrainerRoad ERG mode, works perfectly using BTE and the iPad, but suffer with power drop outs when using ANT+ and Windows.
    Confusing. Is it the individual programs or is the firmware protocol of the Direto?
  • redvision
    philthy3 wrote:
    After a bit of testing I've discovered the following;
    Sufferfest ERG mode, works perfectly using ANT+ and Windows, but doesn't work properly using BTE and the iPad.
    TrainerRoad ERG mode, works perfectly using BTE and the iPad, but suffer with power drop outs when using ANT+ and Windows.
    Confusing. Is it the individual programs or is the firmware protocol of the Direto?

Could be a combination of both. If elite don't respond quickly or have the answer drop a comment on DCR direto page or to Shane miller. They get first info on these type of issues and may be able to offer some advice.

Hopefully it will be a program issue not an issue with the direto.
  • StillGoing
    Elite are suggesting its the program and not the trainer. Gives me an excuse to keep the subscription to both programs though :-D
  • LITW
    LITW Posts: 2
    redvision wrote:
    Well i decided to go for the new quiet kickr. I was a bit unsure whether it would be worth the upgrade from the direto, plus i had a bad experience with a 2nd gen kickr a couple of years ago, but i have to say, first impressions are very good.
    The thing most noticeable, which was the main reason i have gone for this, is the quietness. It really is pretty much silent apart from the noise of the drivetrain.

Is it worth the extra over the direto?? Well for me the answer is yes, but that is based purely on the noise level factor.

How does the Kickr feel when in ERG at higher resistance? I struggled with the spiral of death on my Direto and ended up doing a lot of intervals in the 70-80rpm range last winter. I've been wondering whether I should sell the Direto and get a new Kickr or Neo...
  • redvision
    LITW wrote:
    redvision wrote:

How does the Kickr feel when in ERG at higher resistance? I struggled with the spiral of death on my Direto and ended up doing a lot of intervals in the 70-80rpm range last winter. I've been wondering whether I should sell the Direto and get a new Kickr or Neo...

Tbh i haven't used ERG much since getting the kickr, bar a brief 30min spin to test it was all working ok.
    Have to say i never struggled with the direto when using ERG though, even at higher watts, although the program my coach set me deliberately avoided ERG mode (due to his training theories).
  • LITW
    LITW Posts: 2
    redvision wrote:
    Tbh i haven't used ERG much since getting the kickr, bar a brief 30min spin to test it was all working ok.
    Have to say i never struggled with the direto when using ERG though, even at higher watts, although the program my coach set me deliberately avoided ERG mode (due to his training theories).

I gave up on ERG and just used slope in the end, which works well!