Tyre change frequency

slc123
slc123 Posts: 407
edited September 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm interested to know how often people change their tyres? Ultimately I know the answer will be when you need to, but as a general rule...?

I noticed last night on my HT that it was very sketchy at the backend around fast loose corners. More so than usual. It could have just been my riding last night, but on inspection the back tyre tread particular through the centre is noticeably worn. It's a Maxxis High Roller II, when I put it on the bike it had about 85% tread and I've ridden it for 6 months, twice a week around 40-60 miles a week.

The front is a Minion DHF and it's still grippy as hell and looking good!
Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    When they are worn.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited September 2018
    The answer will depend upon:
      Where you ride (mountains, tarmac or forests). How you ride (savage braking, skidding, sideways, or smooth and gentle). Front or rear (Tx to swod1, how could I have overlooked that). :) What you ride (hard compound, or super-grippy soft compound) What tyre width & rim width What tyre pressure (low or high) Your weight (High or low) Tubeless or not (not sure about the impact upon life)

It seems to me that tyres can wear out on more than just the tread though, the tyre walls can give way if they are flexed through a lot. Think tyre pressure much lower than recommendation.

I bought a Continental Rubber Queen 26 x 2.2 with the black chill compound (so it is grippy). The RQ was the predecessor to the Trail King, the change was in name only, to avoid upsetting the Americans. I am 14.5 stone in my riding kit. The tyre was on the front and it had 22psi in it, I used it tubeless the whole time. I rode mostly in the forest (some gravel track, but mostly earth, leaf mould and sand), but with forays to conventional trails like Cannock, Llndegla etc, and trips into the Peaks. I did over 3000 miles on that tyre before I replaced it with a new Trail King. (I then sold the bike). The RQ laid in my garage for a year or so and then it went onto the front of my grandsons' bike, where it has done duty on the roads around where he lives, plus forest trails. It has done at least another 500 miles and it still looks OK. The Conti TK 27.5 x 2.2 are not doing nearly so well, as the tyre walls keep giving way, two on the trot now, working on a third!

Other tyres have worn out quite rapidly, like my Maxxis 27.5 x 2.4 HRII. They have done less than 600 miles and already the sipes on the blocks are going, especially the 3C compound on the front. But those tyres have done mostly rocky trails with about 25% forest trails.

So it depends....
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    rear tyres always wear quicker than the front as your putting the power through the rear wheel.

Depends on where you ride and how much, sounds like you are due a new tyre on the rear.

Try a harder compound tyre next?

I've stupidly put a 3c compound minion dhr 2 on my bike and its rather worn down now, will be going for the harder compound tyre next.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Like you say- change them when you need to.

My bike and tyres don't usually get ridden that hard. My current rear Conti Trail King Black Chilli is getting a bit worn in the middle but has been fine in the dryer conditions. Almost a sort of intermediate trail tyre. As the weather starts to change, it will be replaced by a new one and kept as a summer tyre. It's probably 2 years old and maybe 800 miles old. I don't really know.

Front is amost 90% and much healthier than the rear.

Like others have said, lots of variables but I'm pleased I only change tyres once every 18 months.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    slc123 wrote:
    Ultimately I know the answer will be when you need to,
    !

It's not as simple as that as it is also when you want to.

Why do you need to ask?

If tyre is damaged = need to
    If tyre is not as grippy = want to, e. g. if you want better grip but you can ofcourse keep riding them.

Unless damaged, then entirety up to you when you change them.
  • slc123
    Thanks for the responses guys, interesting topic to discuss. Gave me what I need to make some decisions.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When you need to change isn’t just about wear of course, it also depends wehere you ride and the conditions, I’ll keep a tyre on going into spring as it gets drier where the same tyre I’d change in autumn going into winter as it’s getting wetter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    When you need to change isn’t just about wear of course, it also depends where you ride and the conditions, I’ll keep a tyre on going into spring as it gets drier where the same tyre I’d change in autumn going into winter as it’s getting wetter.

yes, I've a minion dhr 2 3c that the center is wearing down but the outer side knobs of the tyre aren't and thinking replace soon and keep it for when its dry again?
  • swod1 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    When you need to change isn’t just about wear of course, it also depends where you ride and the conditions, I’ll keep a tyre on going into spring as it gets drier where the same tyre I’d change in autumn going into winter as it’s getting wetter.

yes, I've a minion dhr 2 3c that the center is wearing down but the outer side knobs of the tyre aren't and thinking replace soon and keep it for when its dry again?

I'm about to do that with my rear part worn Conti Trail King. It's been a great `summer` tyre in the dry but will get swapped out for autumn/winter. Too good to throw away.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • BillyCool wrote:
    swod1 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

I'm about to do that with my rear part worn Conti Trail King. It's been a great `summer` tyre in the dry but will get swapped out for autumn/winter. Too good to throw away.

I wouldn't be so quick to swap out the Conti TK. I used to always swap to mud tyres for the winter, but once I switched to the TK, I got further and further into the wet season and felt no reason to take the trouble. I have been using TKs all year round ever since. OK, the TK is not a mud tyre and it cannot compete with one when the trail is really muddy. But think on this: when you go out and are expecting some mud, how much of your route actually is mud?~ If it's most of it then fit the mud tyre, but if like most trails I've been on, there is mud in only parts of it, but rocks, roots and gravel everywhere else, then the mud tyre won't be doing as well. The TK does surprisingly well in poor conditions. It is not just a dry weather tyre. I guess if the tread is nearly worn away then you need another tyre, but unless it was for a high proportion of mud, the new tyre I'd fit would be a TK.
  • I change my tyres when the tread is worn right down, when they are full of more holes than a colander, or if I want to change them for a tyre with a particular performance characteristic that I want to try out ( bigger spuds, lighter tyre, new material etc.etc.etc). I have had tyres perish quite badly in the past, so any cracking on the walls, or on the body, and I bin the tyres as well.
  • slc123
    I find the whole tyre debate interesting, partly because I can’t get my head around it. I find it quite hard to judge the difference a switch is making unless it’s drastic e.g from summer to winter or completely knackered to brand new. Assessing the impact of the change is tricky as sometimes I feel like wow these tyres are grippy and then the next week I’m yearning for more grip and that will obviously be effected by where I’m riding, how fast and the conditions.

My latest dilemma is what tyres to put on the new build. Something all round I’m thinking as I’ll probably only use that spring and summer, first I’ve got to buy some wheels to put them on!
  • BillyCool wrote:
    swod1 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

I wouldn't be so quick to swap out the Conti TK. I used to always swap to mud tyres for the winter, but once I switched to the TK, I got further and further into the wet season and felt no reason to take the trouble. I have been using TKs all year round ever since. OK, the TK is not a mud tyre and it cannot compete with one when the trail is really muddy. But think on this: when you go out and are expecting some mud, how much of your route actually is mud?~ If it's most of it then fit the mud tyre, but if like most trails I've been on, there is mud in only parts of it, but rocks, roots and gravel everywhere else, then the mud tyre won't be doing as well. The TK does surprisingly well in poor conditions. It is not just a dry weather tyre. I guess if the tread is nearly worn away then you need another tyre, but unless it was for a high proportion of mud, the new tyre I'd fit would be a TK.

Steve - I'm swapping my 50% worn TK for a brand new TK.

Calm down (deep breaths) :D
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Calm.