Cycling Equipment for Visibility

Ceribee
Ceribee Posts: 4
edited September 2018 in Commuting general
Hi all!

I'm doing a bit of research on runners/cyclists who exercise at night or in the early morning where there is not much sunlight. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on:

-what kind of equipment you use to be seen
-what you like and don't like about your equipment
-any improvements you want to for your equipment
-injuries/stories you've had highlighting the difficulties of being seen by vehicles, pedestrians, etc.
-Your age and gender if you are comfortable mentioning
-how often you cycle each week and approximately for how long
-anything else you'd like to talk about

Any feedback would be awesome!

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    2 back lights - in case one fails during use.

If I was in town
    + 1 front flashing light.

If it's dark
    + 1 front light.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd like to talk about random people who join to do their homework, ask some unstructured random questions, then disappear back into their holes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Similar to SB. Any distance rides and I have two rear lights and Two front in case one goes out.

Reflective kit on top of that. Anything reflective on the legs really stands out in car headlights.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    cooldad wrote:
    I'd like to talk about random people who join to do their homework, ask some unstructured random questions, then disappear back into their holes.

Ha, I thought the same... which kinda scares me a little.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    cooldad wrote:

:wink:
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Ceribee wrote:
    Hi all!

I'm doing a bit of research on runners/cyclists who exercise at night or in the early morning where there is not much sunlight. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on:

-what you like and don't like about your equipment
    -injuries/stories you've had highlighting the difficulties of being seen by vehicles, pedestrians, etc.
    -Your age and gender if you are comfortable mentioning
    -how often you cycle each week and approximately for how long
    -anything else you'd like to talk about

Any feedback would be awesome!

Safe, Direct, Fully Segregated Cycle Lanes, and a front and rear light.

what you like and don't like about your equipment
    Many councils attempts at the above are abysmal let downs.

A dutch/copenhagen style cycle network.

Sorry, VECHILES don't see, it's DRIVERS that's see, or don't, when in control of a vehicle.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Ceribee
    cooldad wrote:

First of all this is not for homework, this would be applied to a real life study to help cyclists in my community.
    Second, you don't own this forum and I have not done anything illegal or said anything offensive. This is the internet, so you have no domain over where and when can I use this forum. If you don't like the questions, fine that's no problem for me, but just move on then.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Firstly, it's homework, whatever you call it. I didn't say schoolwork. If cyclists in 'your community' have problems, why not ask them?
    Secondly, you don't own this forum, and I have not done anything illegal, or said anything offensive. This is the internet, so you have no domain over where and when can I use this forum. If you don't like the answers, fine that's no problem for me, but just move on then.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ceribee
    cooldad wrote:
    Firstly, it's homework, whatever you call it. I didn't say schoolwork. If cyclists in 'your community' have problems, why not ask them?
    Secondly, you don't own this forum, and I have not done anything illegal, or said anything offensive. This is the internet, so you have no domain over where and when can I use this forum. If you don't like the answers, fine that's no problem for me, but just move on then.

Classic
  • Last winter I ran 2 front lights, 1 rear light but had spare batteries,reflective spoke covers and I even got some small little lights shining on the spoke reflectors so they could be seen all the time :-)

Clothes wise
    reflective helemet cover
    Reflective jacket
    The rucksack cover is Fluoro and reflective

This year I have bought some more spoke covers
    Tyres with a reflective band
    A very bright front light
    Will have another fixed for back up
    Probably 2 back lights normal flashing one and a new laser one that lays down the 2 ones either see if the bike
    And the clothing mentioned above again

I like to be seen