The "Wot? No ToB 2018 Spoiler Thread?" ****Spoilers****

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
edited September 2018 in Pro race
It didn't come past my house this year, or any year.

Stage 1: Greipel.

Feel free to add actual spoiler interest as and when it becomes available.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Came through my village at 10k to go. Did a 19 mile run with some club mates and timed it to see it pass in a flash with the break having been caught and everyone bar one EF rider together. I’d hoped the final climb a mile later might split it but guessed it would be too short to open up any serious gaps. A wasted opportunity of a stage I reckon but I guess they didn’t want to split it too much on day one.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    We considered going to see the intermediate sprint in Usk, saw they went through Brecon- definitely missed opportunity to take it over black mountain I reckon
  • Presumably interest here will pick up, as soon as the race leaves Wales.
    A stage designed by the Wales tourist board, rather than organizers with intent to thrill.
    Plus, where are Millar and Boulting? Hayles and McCrossan - poor substitutes.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    In 'spain'...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    I rode across to the final KOM today. Lots of people, great weather and superb atmosphere. Lovely.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    edited September 2018
    Actually pretty good final few Ks. The break were catchable all day so the peloton were softpedalling a bit. Nice that Thomas showed himself on the last climb
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    It’s was great from Thomas. I’m sure he knew he hadn’t the legs, but also that a whole country was waiting
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    as per perennial discussions about where the race goes, no its not going past my door either so Im going to go and spend a few days on holiday going to watch it rather than complain about that.

but yes its designed to please the sponsor partners who pay for it to happen, and yes its designed to not shred the race on day 1.

Devon looks nice :)
  • A pretty good stage today, I thought.

I see you've used up all your word allowance on the Vuelta spoilers again :wink:

Is there an admin that can give Blazing an extra word allowance so he can post some deeper thoughts in the actual threads? :lol:

Ok, ok, I'll go and find a cyclingnews report.

I see you've used up all your word allowance on the Vuelta spoilers again :wink:

Is there an admin that can give Blazing an extra word allowance so he can post some deeper thoughts in the actual threads? :lol:

Eeerrrrr uuummmm, OK.

There lots of attacks and groups everywhere from Ifracombe to the finish.
    In the end, Meyer and Tonelli (from the early break) just made it in front of the chase group,(Alaphilippe, Roglic, Jungels et al) with the Aussie taking the stage and the Italian, the leader's jumper.
    It's a pity we got to see nothing of how things broke into pieces on the final, 1st cat wall.
    Despite coverage of the entire race, some technical savvy required behind the screens.

Eeerrrrr uuummmm, OK.

In the end, Meyer and Tonelli (from the early break) just made it in front of the chase group,(Alaphilippe, Roglic, Jungels et al) with the Aussie taking the stage and the Italian, the leader's jumper.
    It's a pity we got to see nothing of how things broke into pieces on the final, 1st cat wall.
    Despite coverage of the entire race, some technical savvy required behind the screens.

Cheers. I don't even get a highlihgts package over here, so it's appreciated. Especially on a day where they went through some places I used to kick about in the summer.

Eeerrrrr uuummmm, OK.

Cheers. I don't even get a highlihgts package over here, so it's appreciated. Especially on a day where they went through some places I used to kick about in the summer.

Here's a short highlights package of stage 1. Hopefully, stage 2 will arrive by tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/0jXXqwADRFY?t=3
  • Pross
    Looked a cracking stage, Devon always seems to deliver. My man Scott Davies animated the race and earned the KoM, just I shame he couldn't hold on to the front two in the final 5km. Not many riders left in the peloton at the end, that b**tard of a hill out of Woolacombe sorted them out - it's what yesterday's stage could have done but I can understand why it didn't. Unfortunately I'm working from home tomorrow not Bristol or I'd have got up on the Downs for the finish.

Eeerrrrr uuummmm, OK.

Here's a short highlights package of stage 1. Hopefully, stage 2 will arrive by tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/0jXXqwADRFY?t=3

Nice one, will look out for the Devon stage :-)
  • awavey
    Stage 2 highlights on the ToB website http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/video/st ... hlights-2/

yeah it was an entertaining stage, was house sitting today whilst having some work done so I got to watch it all live. It was interesting how much land art there was, for a British cycle race, and how many people were out roadside watching it
  • ddraver
    Pross wrote:
    , Devon always seems to deliver.

If someone ever wrestles control out of Gary Verity's hands they could put a great LBL alternative on in the SW. If they could take it down to Cornwall the helicopter shots would be awesome...
    - @ddraver
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    TTT day - would you go to the start to see the sign ons etc or the uphill finish with no buses allowed?
  • ddraver wrote:
    Pross wrote:

If someone ever wrestles control out of Gary Verity's hands they could put a great LBL alternative on in the SW. If they could take it down to Cornwall the helicopter shots would be awesome...

Imagine the arial views of the traffic jams.....
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    I am heading to watch tomorrow stage. Will go to the start and then on to either edge hill or Burton dasset, can anyone recommend one over the other or give any idea where avouts to park at either one?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    BM5 wrote:
    TTT day - would you go to the start to see the sign ons etc or the uphill finish with no buses allowed?

The latter would be my choice
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Pross
    Froome seems to be enjoying the rare chance to race on British roads with British crowds, spending lots of time chatting and signing stuff. It must be quite relaxing after the hassle he gets in France.
  • Can't believe they didn't race up Draycott Steep today, or Eborr Gorge or Old Bristol Rd! :twisted:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross wrote:
    Froome seems to be enjoying the rare chance to race on British roads with British crowds, spending lots of time chatting and signing stuff. It must be quite relaxing after the hassle he gets in France.

If the race came past my house, I'd dress up as caricature Frenchman - beret, stripey jersey, string of onions, moustache - and run alongside him shaking a baguette in his general direction. Just for giggles.
  • awavey
    ddraver wrote:
    Pross wrote:

PG rated :lol:https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... er-1967628
  • awavey
    Pross wrote:

shame the torygraph cant cut him some slack for it :(https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/201 ... par-chris/
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    BM5 wrote:

That depends whether or not you're a child.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ddraver
    awavey wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Pross wrote:

PG rated :lol:https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... er-1967628

As a proud cornishman...I have to give that to them *snigger* :lol:
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    An impressive ride by Ethan Hayter to get amongst it in the sprint.
    Twitter: @RichN95