Hydraulic Brakes - Bike Upside Down for Transport?

photonic69
photonic69 Posts: 2,416
edited September 2018 in Workshop
Dear Esteemed Forumites

Just got my first hydraulic brake equipped road bike - Felt VR30. Love it

It has Shimano ST-RS505 Hydraulic Disc Brakes. Once a year I go off camping with my son to Wales (usually August Bank Holiday but rained stopped that - this weekend is on though). As it is just the two of us I usually put the bikes in the back of the car upside down with the wheels and seat posts removed as it fits better this way with all the camping stuff.

I've read various post that say you can/can't put bikes upside down in case bubbles of air in the levers travel to the calipers.

True or Not True?

Please advise.

Thanks

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I stole this from another forum, which may give you peace of mind...
    Here's Shimano's word on it (Dealer Manual, page 6):

"When turning the bicycle upside down or on its side, the brake system may have some air bubbles inside the reservoir tank which are still there when the bleed screw is closed, or which accumulate in various parts of the brake system when it is used for long periods. This disc brake system is not designed to work with the bicycle upside down. If the bicycle is turned upside down or on its side, the air bubbles inside the reservoir tank may move in the direction of the calipers. If the bicycle is ridden in this condition, there is the danger that the brakes may not operate and a serious accident could occur. If the bicycle has been turned upside down or on its side, be sure to operate the brake lever a few times to check that the brakes operate normally before riding the bicycle. If the brakes do not operate normally, adjust them according to the following procedure."

That's pretty much what I do if I ever have to transport my bike upside down or on it's side... give the levers a good pump once it's upright and the check the brakes before I head off. Never once had an issue ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • A bike should only be upside down during an accident.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    should be perfectly fine but a few squeezes of the lever should get things working if theres any air in the system. a few jolts of the bike should help send things in the right direction.

Although there shouldnt be any air in the system at all if its been maintained / bled properly......
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited August 2018
    Not true, if there is a tiny bit of air in the system as soon as you turn the bike up the right way it will all start moving back up to the reservoir.

ETA I'm a bloody slow typist.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    A bike should only be upside down during an accident.

Tell that to the guys at Crankworx and Rampage etc :lol:

s1600_2.jpg

...not to mention anyone who stores their bike on a wall or ceiling rack.

Just look at all those death traps.... :shock:

Mark-Dry-wall-21-e1417079731462-768x456.jpg
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • photonic69
    CitizenLee wrote:
    A bike should only be upside down during an accident.

Tell that to the guys at Crankworx and Rampage etc :lol:

Those are controlled accidents in motion!!! :shock:

• sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    It's not a problem.

But accidentally pressing hydraulic brake levers a few times with wheels out is!
  • CitizenLee
    sam anon wrote:
    It's not a problem.

But accidentally pressing hydraulic brake levers a few times with wheels out is!

Yup, it's a pain when that happens but you can buy or bodge pad spacers to prevent it ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • photonic69
    Cool. Thanks for the input guys.

I'll let you know if I die on Gospel Pass or not.

• photonic69
    Safe to say I'm gladly still alive! Lots of fast descents and the Tour of Britain stage as a bonus!!

• CitizenLee wrote:
    Here's Shimano's word on it (Dealer Manual, page 6):
    If the bicycle is turned upside down or on its side, the air bubbles inside the reservoir tank may move in the direction of the calipers. If the bicycle is ridden in this condition, there is the danger that the brakes may not operate and a serious accident could occur.

If I parse those sentences correctly, it seems to me the dealer manual advises people not to ride while the bike is upside down.