Mountain bike suggestions for 12 year old children

Georgetherussian
Georgetherussian Posts: 3
edited September 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone,

As Christmas is approaching I am looking to upgrade my children's mountain bikes as they started to love the trails now. They boys are 12 and 10 years old and i am looking at a budget of 300£ each.
As of now I've got no clue of what exactly I can get them I am frankly new to mountain biking myself. The boys had some cheap mountain bikes until now (muddy fox kind of bikes :lol: ).

Is there any suggestions that you guys can offer me? They really like the Voodoo nzumbi but that is slightly out of budget.

Should I get them junior bikes or go for smaller 26" bikes?

Thank you and apologies if I've posted on the wrong thread it's my first post on here.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Halfords, Go outdoors and Decathlon (XS sizing in most models) are your friends here, as noted buy a little large for growing space, also if you can store it but in the next couple of months before they start to shaft you for Christmas!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    At 12, children are at 80% of full height. Take into account when buying a frame so you could buy slightly larger and they will grow into it will last a few years.
  • 02GF74 wrote:
    At 12, children are at 80% of full height. Take into account when buying a frame so you could buy slightly larger and they will grow into it will last a few years.

I take on board the financial aspect, but I don't really buy into the "buy larger and they will grow into it" concept.

I know that you said "slightly larger" 02GF74, and I'm not having a go at you at all, just using the opportunity to make my point.

The bike should fit the child first of all. They should be taking pleasure in the bike, not struggling with it. The normal range of adjustments can be made as they grow. The saddle can be raised and moved back, wider bars and maybe a longer stem can be fitted. The bike will still fit and be enjoyable. as the kids are approaching puberty where they just rocket upwards and outwards, this is where second hand bikes ought to come to the fore, both buying and selling.
  • My lad rides a Medium Yeti asr5, he’s 13 and 5’6, all I’ve done is shorter stem, he’s got a dropper seat post and just leaves it down a couple of inch’s from fully up.
    Guess it depends how tall your 12 yr old is.
    Yeti 575,Specialized Turbo levo
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    ... but I don't really buy into the "buy larger and they will grow into it" concept...

I agree with this.
    Buying a bike that is too large will, in many cases put the child off riding. Struggling with reach that is too long, bars that are too wide and the inability to control a bike properly does nothing to encourage him/her to carry on riding.

Buy the correct size bike, second hand if necessary and allow the child to enjoy riding.
    eBay is full of small bikes for sale and if you get a decent one and look after it you won’t lose much money when it’s time to sell it on.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:

Buy the correct size bike, second hand if necessary and allow the child to enjoy riding.
    eBay is full of small bikes for sale and if you get a decent one and look after it you won’t lose much money when it’s time to sell it on.

Spot on! :)
  • Thank you very much guys for your suggestions. I definitely have got a better idea on what to look for next. My 12 years old is 5ft2 and the youngest one which he's 10 is around 4ft5.
    However I think I will give up on that "surprise effect" on Christmas and just take them out with me around the shops to test some bikes and see which ones they fit them better.

As some of you on here said I would definitely buy them something that makes them comfortable for now as the youngest one is not fully confident aniway and don't want that to get worse with a bike he cannot fit on or might find too big.

Cheers guys.
    However I think I will give up on that "surprise effect" on Christmas and just take them out with me around the shops to test some bikes and see which ones they fit them better.

I would not want to be surprised with anything for my bike, would you? :(

Let the suspense build. :o
    Are we just passing time looking at bikes, or are we on a buying expedition? Is the test ride just a nice day out or am I about to get a new bike?
    Let the suspense build. :o

But be careful, or every trip around a bike shop will build expectations that something good is about to happen. So get your timing right. :D