Girona Trip Planning

dazz_ni45
dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
edited September 2018 in Road general
A few of us are managing to grab a few days in Girona at the start of October.

Flights are booked but still need to sort out hotel/bikes and routes and I have been left with that job.

We will have about 2 and a half days cycling time so want to make the most of it. I had looked at some of the tour companies for guided rides, but it was working out very expensive so we will probably just DIY it.

Would anyone have recommendations for hotels (that accommodate bikes) or apartments and bike hire (I had looked at Bike Breaks Girona for Cannondales).

Any must do routes would also be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    First of all, good choice! I was there in June and the cycling is just amazing. I used Bike Breaks Girona for rental and had no problems with them. For accommodation, I went with an AirBnB apartment which worked out much cheaper than a hotel (even more so if there's a group of you going). Have a look at the listings, there are quite a few that seem to regularly host cyclists.

PM me if you want some routes - I was doing 70-85 miles each day, usually with 6000-7000 ft of climbing
  • I used bike breaks and they were good, they also provide you with route maps for most of the popular loops. Contact them ASAP though as they can have all their rental bikes booked well in advance.

I stayed at the Ciutat de Girona which has a secure bike garage. I got a cheap midweek deal though, I think standard prices are quite high so you will get cheaper deals elsewhere I would guess.
  • dazz_ni45
    I used bike breaks and they were good, they also provide you with route maps for most of the popular loops. Contact them ASAP though as they can have all their rental bikes booked well in advance.

I stayed at the Ciutat de Girona which has a secure bike garage. I got a cheap midweek deal though, I think standard prices are quite high so you will get cheaper deals elsewhere I would guess.

Thanks. That is one of hotels I was looking at, the other being the Hotel Nord 1901. We are also midweek and the rates aren't too bad compared to a 2 bed apartment.
  • dazz_ni45
    JamesEs wrote:
    First of all, good choice! I was there in June and the cycling is just amazing. I used Bike Breaks Girona for rental and had no problems with them. For accommodation, I went with an AirBnB apartment which worked out much cheaper than a hotel (even more so if there's a group of you going). Have a look at the listings, there are quite a few that seem to regularly host cyclists.

PM me if you want some routes - I was doing 70-85 miles each day, usually with 6000-7000 ft of climbing

Thanks James. PM sent
  • Hotel Ultonia in the centre of Girona, has secure bike storage with tools, track pumps etc, also highly recommend Girona Bike breaks for hire and advice on routes. If you follow Robert Gesink on Strava you can take a look at a lot of the local routes all starting from Girona. The road between Sant Feliu de Guíxols and Tossa de Mar ( add in the climb up Sant Grau)is absolutely stunning.
  • Definitely use AirBNB - you'll get some really good accommodation for some great prices! I love Girona, been out the last 3 years in a row, but unfortunately due to an expensive wedding I'll not make it this year...
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    We found this site to be the best for routes. https://ourgirona.com/

All I'll say is
    - It's all awesome
    - Ride to Banyoles lake is great
    - Climbing Rocacorba is great (do it at the weekend when the food truck is there)
    - Riding to the Dam is great
    - Els Angels is great for a climb next to the city
    - Best brunch/breakfast ever at La Fabrica, make sure you go there at least once
    - Enjoy the city. Makes you realise what a dump places like Puerto Pollensa are in comparison.
  • cgfw201 wrote:
    We found this site to be the best for routes. https://ourgirona.com/

All I'll say is
    - It's all awesome
    - Ride to Banyoles lake is great
    - Climbing Rocacorba is great (do it at the weekend when the food truck is there)
    - Riding to the Dam is great
    - Els Angels is great for a climb next to the city
    - Best brunch/breakfast ever at La Fabrica, make sure you go there at least once
    - Enjoy the city. Makes you realise what a dump places like Puerto Pollensa are in comparison.

Thanks so much. That is a great help