26" wheels

JBA
JBA Posts: 2,852
edited September 2018 in MTB buying advice
The original wheels on my son's 2011 Stumpy are in need of replacement as the cheeseonium they are made from has finally given up the ghost.

Any advise on where to look for a decent but not too expensive new wheelset, please?
“Life has been unfaithful
And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    You can pick up plenty of used ones on eBay, but you obviously take your chances.

My last two sets of 26" wheels have come from:

1. Superstar Components deal - Mavic 419 tubeless UST rims with SS Fuel hubs. They were on offer and got 20% code so paid about £130 for the set. Bargain. That was about 3 years ago and they now have limited offerings. They currently have some nice swanky AM Carbon rims though and have an extra 30% off code until the end of August.

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/ ... al-offers/

2. Bought some WTM i23 rims from CRC last Xmas for £20 each rather than £70. Got a brand new Hope Pro 4 front hub from Evans for nowt courtesy of Tesco Clubcard and the rear from eBay. Recently got LBS to build them and have now got a really light and quick set of wheels on Hope Pro 4 hubs for £240 (my maths assumes the front hub cost nothing). Just need to add tubeless stuff, brake rotors, cassettee and tyres.

Merlin also do wheel builds and I'm sure you will find 26" offers elsewhere.

I guess it depends if you want stock wheels or handbuilt to your specs.

You got a budget in mind?
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I don't really see the point in going new as you can get some great nearly new bargains on Ebay or Pinkbike. I picked up a set of Easton ARC27's, which were secondhand but in great condition. £100 with nearly new tyres.

For new, it's just a case of looking for sales. CRC, Tredz etc.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    some second hand hope hub wheels on stans rims would be a good option. best check ebay will be something on there.
  • JBA
    That's the type of thing I'm after, swod1.

Currently watching a set of Hope Hoops that I'm hoping I can get for a decent price.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    JBA wrote:
    That's the type of thing I'm after, swod1.

Currently watching a set of Hope Hoops that I'm hoping I can get for a decent price.
    I've got a 09 stumpjumper FSR (26") and 1x11 xt groupset, 26" Fox 32 Talas Forks that have just been serviced by TF tuned and a new fox rear shock that I'm considering selling complete or breaking for parts. It's got a set of Hope Hoops with Stans tubeless rims fitted. Pm me if you are interested.
    Gerry
  • JBA
    moonshine wrote:
    Pm me if you are interested.
    Gerry

PM sent...

• If you’re still looking I’ve just built a set of wtb st i23 tubeless ready rims onto an XT rear hub and Planet X cartridge bearing front hub. Rear is 135mm qr, the front can either be standard qr or 15mmx100mm bolt through (I have an adapter for the qr fitting). Both hubs are 6 bolt disc fitting. Built them for a mate who now isn’t ready for new wheels so looking to sell them to recoup the cost of the components. Everything is brand new - they just need rim tape and valves for tubeless or just rim tape if you want to run them with inner tubes.