Teaching them to ride

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    :)
    Little Slowbike plays with his scooter - but can't really ride it far - much prefers his balance bike - understandable as we've concentrated on that.
    Time for a pedal bike now :)
  • Tried everything with DHL junior.
    He had a balance bike fron 2yrs and likes riding it but is just too nosy/lazy to balance it. He just walked along with it stopping to look at everything and chatting to anyone nearby.
    Eventually "graduated" to bike with stabilisers which he pretty much sauntered along on stopping to talk to everyone or looking at anything interesting on his journey. Finally, now he is five, he will try it without the stabilisers! Off with the pedals too and happy to roll down a slope but then resorts to type and sits there nattering to old ladies and such like. Getting there!
  • slowbike
    DHL - are you riding with him?
    There are days where LSB will not go far - he just wants to stop and stare - but with a bit of encouragement he'll "chase me" and we'll go over drain covers (bump bump bump - fun for a 2yo!) or go and find the cows - otherdays I can't stop for needing to keep up with him.
    I have to admit - I prefer not having to cojole him into moving - but it's his game...
  • Slowbike wrote:
    There are days where LSB will not go far - he just wants to stop and stare - but with a bit of encouragement he'll "chase me" and we'll go over drain covers (bump bump bump - fun for a 2yo!) or go and find the cows - otherdays I can't stop for needing to keep up with him.
    I have to admit - I prefer not having to cojole him into moving - but it's his game...
    My daughter (9) rides her bike and disappears into the distance.
    I dawdle along on my daughters JD Bug scooter with my son.
    I don't want to hassle him into "stepping-up" as it should be something he wants rather than something I want. I don't want to spoil his fun.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I don't want to hassle him into "stepping-up" as it should be something he wants rather than something I want. I don't want to spoil his fun.

Yeah, it was the same story with HaggisJr. He went from "and shall no one dare gift me a bike for my brithday!!!" to riding them in Decathlon, asking me to put him on my saddle and push along...

He's now the happiest child in the world, and part of that is by his sense of achievement. He never thought he'd be able to ride without stabilisers, and now you see him riding away, and even uphill! If the weather allows, we'll try the shared paths this weekend together.
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:
    Of course it should be something he wants - but how is he going to know what is fun unless you nudge him in the "right" direction?
    Your daughter - disappears up the road - so I guess your son can't see what she's up to? She's probably going fast enough that your son doesn't think he'll ever catch up - so why bother? You're dawdling about on a scooter ...
    Perhaps he doesn't want to play bikes - or perhaps he's just not getting engaged enough in the activity? Perhaps if you were on a bike too then he might find it more fun?

Btw - I'm not critisising you - I'm interested in why a child joins in an activity.
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Of course it should be something he wants - but how is he going to know what is fun unless you nudge him in the "right" direction?
    Your daughter - disappears up the road - so I guess your son can't see what she's up to? She's probably going fast enough that your son doesn't think he'll ever catch up - so why bother? You're dawdling about on a scooter ...
    Perhaps he doesn't want to play bikes - or perhaps he's just not getting engaged enough in the activity? Perhaps if you were on a bike too then he might find it more fun?

Btw - I'm not critisising you - I'm interested in why a child joins in an activity.

He asks to go for a bike ride two or three times a week so he does want to go but until last week was adamant about using stabilisers. He had tried before without but didn't like it. The dawdling along on the scooter was to go at the same pace while the route we take is either along promenade or around the cricket ground in poole park. With the cricket ground my daughter doesn't dissappear but catch back up as she goes round. She also rides alongside to an extent. Hopefully another couple of weekends and we will be there.
  • slowbike
    well - if he's asking then he's obviously enjoying it .. :)
  • We had the idea of creating a fully functional bike that can help with balance and pedaling without the need for training wheels or having to purchase a second bike with pedals. We made some modifications to the rear wheel and hub creating a "dually" styled bike that can balance on it own(12" & 16") (no kickstand or training wheels), allows for pedaling and leaning into turns and has a pretty cool look! We have seen inexperienced and/or less confident children quickly gain confidence and be able to ride with the added stability. We have attached some images and would like to know your thoughts if something like this would be of interest if you were looking to buy your new little rider a bike.

You can checkout pictures and videos via our Instagram and Facebook:
    https://www.instagram.com/duallybikes/?hl=en (@duallybikes)
    https://www.facebook.com/duallybikes/ (@duallybikes).

two-small-dually-bikes.jpg
    Dually-from-behind.jpg
    dually-rear-tires-closeup.jpg
    three-dually-bikes.jpg
  • Looks nice. It's like offroad bike with double wheel
  • Dolores
    Dolores Posts: 8
    When my son was 3 months age that time I bought Mini2go scooter.he enjoyed it a lot.
  • I thought that these might be useful for some, it's a helmet, knee & elbow pad set from Halfords for £4 (other colours available too) or £3.60 once you take off the BC discount.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-he ... s-backpack

Also got some kids gloves from cycle surgery for £2.99

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/kiddimot ... colour=124

I'm hoping to get my daughter to progress from balance bike to pedal bike very soon, she doesn't know it yet but there is a Vitus Fourteen (14" wheel) sitting in the garage waiting for some better weather.
  • slowbike
    Thanks - yes - should get our little rider some gloves - thinking about cycling shorts too as his bottom does seem a bit red after he's been riding. Not that he complains...

We started the progression at Christmas with a 14" bike - we tried with pedals but he kept looking at the pedals instead of where he was going - so it didn't work. Stripped the pedals off and let him run around just as a balance bike - he's now whizzing about on it like he was his balance bike. Next step was to attach him to a follow-me (I don't like the trailgators as they twist) and get him to pedal whilst being towed.
    Then - saturday we went up a cycle path for a picnic and took his pedals with us - on the way back we stopped and bribed him to try the pedals - he thought he couldn't balance when he had pedals on. 2 quick goes and he's ridden 5-10 meters unaided - we stopped there and went back home - but he's getting the idea he can balance now.

• I'm hoping to get my daughter to progress from balance bike to pedal bike very soon, she doesn't know it yet but there is a Vitus Fourteen (14" wheel) sitting in the garage waiting for some better weather.

Just to update on this, after much pestering from my daughter I finally put the pedals on and lifted up the seat yesterday after letting her use her new bike as a balance bike for a while, she is just under 3 1/2. I was amazed at how quickly she picked it up, cycling on her own in minutes.

Had to follow closely behind to start with to catch her each time she wobbled or veered off course. I had held off for quite a while as I had visions of crashes & tears putting her off, but I probably could have done it a month or two ago.
  • slowbike

I'm hoping to get my daughter to progress from balance bike to pedal bike very soon, she doesn't know it yet but there is a Vitus Fourteen (14" wheel) sitting in the garage waiting for some better weather.

Just to update on this, after much pestering from my daughter I finally put the pedals on and lifted up the seat yesterday after letting her use her new bike as a balance bike for a while, she is just under 3 1/2. I was amazed at how quickly she picked it up, cycling on her own in minutes.

Had to follow closely behind to start with to catch her each time she wobbled or veered off course. I had held off for quite a while as I had visions of crashes & tears putting her off, but I probably could have done it a month or two ago.
    :D

In their own good time - you may think she was ready a month ago - but in her mind she wasn't so it probably wouldn't have worked ..
  • SecretSam wrote:
    So - any tips? our two (twins) are 4 and a half, and have bikes (12" wheels, need something bigger really) and we're trying to teach them to ride without stabilisers. We have 'handles' for the bikes that enable us to hold them upright while they practice, but wanted to know if anyone has some top tips on how to get them up and running.

Thanks in advance.
    The best way is to hold bike, not a child. Just hold it from the back, so kids won't see you and have the whole feeling of riding. Then try to let it go for some secs. You will need to run a lot, but it worth the result.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    We got our smallest (Tiny Haggis, just turned 3) a balance bike about a month ago. I was quite skeptical but
    1. he likes it, and wants to ride it in the nice smooth pedestrian streets around our place
    2. he's got the gist of it quite quickly
    3. he's already asking me to put some pedals!

I personally think he needs a little bit more time, to get things like the brakes and what not, but certainly by Xmas he'll be totally ready for a bike.

Honestly, not touching stabilisers is possibly the greatest thing ever.

BTW: Am I the only one that's filled with joy every time I see a toddler riding a bike on his own, no stabilisers? Their parents must be so proud!
  • slowbike
    DrHaggis wrote:
    We got our smallest (Tiny Haggis, just turned 3) a balance bike about a month ago. I was quite skeptical but
    1. he likes it, and wants to ride it in the nice smooth pedestrian streets around our place
    2. he's got the gist of it quite quickly
    3. he's already asking me to put some pedals!

I personally think he needs a little bit more time, to get things like the brakes and what not, but certainly by Xmas he'll be totally ready for a bike.

Honestly, not touching stabilisers is possibly the greatest thing ever.

BTW: Am I the only one that's filled with joy every time I see a toddler riding a bike on his own, no stabilisers? Their parents must be so proud!

Excellent :)

1) good - that's important - ride with him if you can - I've got a kids bike I can (just about) ride so I'm at a similar height - means I can throw it around and I'm not worried if I have to ditch it whilst he has in inevitable crash
    2) they learn at a phenomenal rate
    3) if he can scoot around feet off the floor then he's ready - don't worry about brakes - it'll come. Get a pedal bike and whip the pedals off first so he gets used to riding the different geometry - may only be once or twice - then pedals back on and scoot scoot pedal!! :)

I LOVE seeing little kids riding around and enjoying their bikes - preferably without stabalisers, but some parents just don't get it - or know about it ...
  • Great video thanks.
    MiniG is 2.5 and now has the saddle on his balance bike at its highest, so we need to go bike shopping for him before long.
    Then TinyG (14months) can have the balance bike in due course when shes a bit older!
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    SecretSam wrote:
    So - any tips? our two (twins) are 4 and a half, and have bikes (12" wheels, need something bigger really) and we're trying to teach them to ride without stabilisers. We have 'handles' for the bikes that enable us to hold them upright while they practice, but wanted to know if anyone has some top tips on how to get them up and running.

Thanks in advance.
    The best way is to hold bike, not a child. Just hold it from the back, so kids won't see you and have the whole feeling of riding. Then try to let it go for some secs. You will need to run a lot, but it worth the result.

I'm not sure this is true because holding the bike doesn't give them the feeling of riding. If you hold the bike you aren't teaching them to balance themselves. The best way I've seen (and used) is to hold them gently under the armpits per the video linked by marmac. It teaches them how the bike feels without stabilisers and how to balance themselves.

Daughter was riding a pedal bike (aged 3.5) within 10 minutes using this method - all she had to learn was pedalling. True she was already proficient on a balance bike having had a toddle bike from when she was 2.

So, top tips - If they're young enough get them on a balance bike as soon as possible. Avoid stabilisers like the plague. If you're already on stabilisers try using the method in the video. It really does work. Once they realise they can balance they won't look back and you get to watch them disappearing off into the distance (which is another kind of worry altogether).
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Great video thanks.
    MiniG is 2.5 and now has the saddle on his balance bike at its highest, so we need to go bike shopping for him before long.
    Then TinyG (14months) can have the balance bike in due course when shes a bit older!

We switched from a Hotwalk to a Frog43 just after my lad turned 3, similar to you as he'd hit the limit on the BB and we could see his confidence was there to move up to pedals. He wheeled the Frog out of the shop and was off straight away, so proud seeing such a little person riding like that.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • MrSweary wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure this is true because holding the bike doesn't give them the feeling of riding. If you hold the bike you aren't teaching them to balance themselves. The best way I've seen (and used) is to hold them gently under the armpits per the video linked by marmac. It teaches them how the bike feels without stabilisers and how to balance themselves.

Daughter was riding a pedal bike (aged 3.5) within 10 minutes using this method - all she had to learn was pedalling. True she was already proficient on a balance bike having had a toddle bike from when she was 2.

So, top tips - If they're young enough get them on a balance bike as soon as possible. Avoid stabilisers like the plague. If you're already on stabilisers try using the method in the video. It really does work. Once they realise they can balance they won't look back and you get to watch them disappearing off into the distance (which is another kind of worry altogether).

I'd whip the cranks off and get them scooting around on it like a balance bike, it really is the key to early riding.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Matt_N wrote:
    I'd whip the cranks off and get them scooting around on it like a balance bike, it really is the key to early riding.

Absolutely, balance is key. Our little one quickly worked out she could go much faster downhill on a balance bike than a scooter. And that was that.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Daughter is 6 months, already bought her a balance bike. She can't use it of course but I am very excited for the day she will be able too. looking forward to coming back here for some great advice. cheers
  • slowbike
    Daughter is 6 months, already bought her a balance bike. She can't use it of course but I am very excited for the day she will be able too. looking forward to coming back here for some great advice. cheers

Excellent :) Like the thinking.

We bought a BB for our son after coming back from a summer holiday when he saw one and seemed besotted by it.
    We staged it so that it was in the sitting room - stood up on blocks (duplo) and I set a camera videoing his entrance - the look on his face was just amazing and I like going back to that video years later (flippin eck - time flies!) He's still using the balance bike as a mess around in the back yard.
  • fnegroni wrote:
    Keep the 12 inch bikes.
    Take stabilisers off, take that bar you mention off, take pedals off, *if you can* take cranks off too.
    Lower the saddle to the lowest comfortable position, so their feet are flat to the floor or just slightly higher.
    Then tell them to *scoot*: use their legs to propel forward.

Bump

This is the best way by miles. If you can get the cranks off it will make it safer. Trousers can get caught on loose cranks.
  • fnegroni wrote:
    Keep the 12 inch bikes.
    Take stabilisers off, take that bar you mention off, take pedals off, *if you can* take cranks off too.
    Lower the saddle to the lowest comfortable position, so their feet are flat to the floor or just slightly higher.
    Then tell them to *scoot*: use their legs to propel forward.

Bump

This is the best way by miles. If you can get the cranks off it will make it safer. Trousers can get caught on loose cranks.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Going to be spending Saturday trying to get 4 kids off stabilisers.
    There are 4 frog bikes in the wings waiting for stabiliser free riders...

Hopefully with 4 egging each other on, we'll get somewhere unlike last time...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Going to be spending Saturday trying to get 4 kids off stabilisers.
    There are 4 frog bikes in the wings waiting for stabiliser free riders...

Hopefully with 4 egging each other on, we'll get somewhere unlike last time...

2 of 4 now stabiliser free. Thank god for that. Time to get the Frog bikes out.
    the other 2 just don't like speed - they cycled 6km each, but at a max speed of about 4mph.. any faster and the brakes slam on - ie just not ready yet .

Still, they all slept well!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...