Vuelta a Espana 2018 Stage 4 *SPOILER*

2»

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    from CN ticker:

Nairo Quintana is looking pretty comfortable and Valverde is further back in the group. Aru has been distanced slightly and is chasing furiously to get back on. Sepp Kuss is setting a blistering pace.

In the peloton, Michal Kwiatkowski is sitting behind George Bennett, but it looks like he has no teammates with him. It seems that De la Cruz has been dropped.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,679
    Would be worth watching now.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,563
    Anyone else having Eurosport player issues? Mine says no content available...
  • shirley_basso
    King takes it, unlikely to be in Red though. Rolland eventually clawed them back but was toast by the time he got to them (King and Stalnov) so King attacked and won.
  • shirley_basso
    Kwait loses 2s to Valverde and about 3.15 to King, so still leads by 1.15 (over King). Yates gains 25s on Red.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    blimey it all happened in the last 15mins. I guess the preceeding period is a softener
  • shirley_basso
    Top 10 on GC

1 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Team Sky 13:47:19
    2 Emanuel Buchmann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe 0:00:07
    3 Simon Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott 0:00:10
    4 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:12
    5 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Team Sunweb 0:00:25
    6 Ion Izagirre (Spa) Bahrain-Merida 0:00:30
    7 Tony Gallopin (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:33
    8 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:00:33
    9 Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) LottoNL-Jumbo 0:00:37
    10 Enric Mas (Spa) Quick-Step Floors 0:00:42
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,679
    dish_dash wrote:

I am pleased to say that Sky Go can now be watched when using multiple screens, so no Eurosport player for me and no hidden mobile at work.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,563
    TheBigBean wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

I am pleased to say that Sky Go can now be watched when using multiple screens, so no Eurosport player for me and no hidden mobile at work.

Yeah... am on Virgin...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    dish_dash wrote:
    That's happening on my mobile but not on my laptop.

Missed it all anyway so I will see if the PS4 version of ES player will let me watch anything and try to see the highlights...
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,101
    Interesting but not particularly exciting stage. So, who is favourite now?

The new GC:
    Rnk Prev Delta Rider Team UCI Time
    1 1 KWIATKOWSKI Michał Team Sky 20 13:47:19
    2 7 ▲5 BUCHMANN Emanuel BORA - hansgrohe 0:07
    3 12 ▲9 YATES Simon Mitchelton-Scott 0:10
    4 2 ▼2 VALVERDE Alejandro Movistar Team 0:12
    5 3 ▼2 KELDERMAN Wilco Team Sunweb 0:25
    6 5 ▼1 IZAGIRRE Ion Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team 0:30
    7 8 ▲1 GALLOPIN Tony AG2R La Mondiale 0:33
    8 9 ▲1 QUINTANA Nairo Movistar Team ,,
    9 11 ▲2 KRUIJSWIJK Steven Team LottoNL-Jumbo 0:37
    10 13 ▲3 MAS Enric Quick-Step Floors 0:42
    11 14 ▲3 MAJKA Rafał BORA - hansgrohe ,,
    12 16 ▲4 PINOT Thibaut Groupama - FDJ 0:43
    13 17 ▲4 BENNETT George Team LottoNL-Jumbo 0:45
    14 25 ▲11 LÓPEZ Miguel Ángel Astana Pro Team 0:46
    15 18 ▲3 ARU Fabio UAE-Team Emirates 0:47
    16 19 ▲3 URÁN Rigoberto Team EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale 0:48
    17 24 ▲7 DE LA CRUZ David Team Sky 0:53
    18 71 ▲53 KING Ben Team Dimension Data 1:05
    19 4 ▼15 DE PLUS Laurens Quick-Step Floors ,,
    20 26 ▲6 HERRADA Jesús Cofidis, Solutions Crédits 2:00
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • bobmcstuff
    Simon Yates looks well placed
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    That's happening on my mobile but not on my laptop.

Missed it all anyway so I will see if the PS4 version of ES player will let me watch anything and try to see the highlights...

I had it yesterday. There's a new version of the Android app and that sorts it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    I was disappointed that Ben King didn’t crack just so someone could post ‘Ben King Bonking’
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Is BUCHMANN anyone to be worried about? He's a newbie??
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • RichN95.
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Is BUCHMANN anyone to be worried about? He's a newbie??
    He's a rising star (25 years old). 15th in the Tour last year.

This year: 4th in Tour of Basque Country, 9th in Romandie, 6th at Dauphine, 7th in Tour of Poland.
  • jerry3571
    Definitely pushed on today. Tricky to know if the rest were holding back or Buchmann was stronger. Almost catching Yates was pretty good riding. Might be one to watch.
    Surprised at Teo not making it though.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • ivor_pye
    ivor_pye Posts: 46
    It warms the cockles of my heart to see a Cofidis rider in the top twenty and another in the mountains jersey, give it a week though.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Credit to Julien Duval (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale for being 1:15:58 down after 4 stages.....
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I just watched the ITV4 highlights show. Can anyone explain to me why David Millar persists with the view that Valverde is a "loyal teammate and domestique for Quintana"? I've never seen any evidence of this in any race over the years. The only person Valverde rides for is Valverde.

I think in a lacklustre field this year he sees his chance for one final crowning glory.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,943
    Well there's no point in Valverde wasting his efforts riding for Quintana as Nairo seems to only ever want to follow wheels anymore, and he's (NQ) unlikely to win a GT that way.
  • jerry3571
    True, never seen Valverde pulling for anyone. He'll put in attacks which he will benefit from if they pay off but otherwise he's about as useful as a kick up the butt. Sure he's trying to relive past Vuelta glories.

-Jacques Anquetil
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    so no one criticising lotto jumbo mountain train .if it was sky certain people would be all over it . BORING :lol:
  • bobmcstuff
    Just actually got round to watching this, Yates looks like he is going very well. Surely has a good chance here for the overall.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    If he and his team have learned well the lessons from the giro, Yates is in a good position experience wise to race this one at an optimal level. What price a British clean sweep of the GTs this year?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RichN95.
    larkim wrote:
    What price a British clean sweep of the GTs this year?
    Around 5/2 favourite at most bookmakers
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,101
    RichN95 wrote:
    larkim wrote:
    Then there should be value to be had elsewhere. I'd suggest those odds are lower because he's a Brit. Given his collapse at the Giro, there has to be a significant question mark over his ability to sustain a challenge over three weeks. Hope he can do it though.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • bobmcstuff
    DeadCalm wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    larkim wrote:
    Then there should be value to be had elsewhere. I'd suggest those odds are lower because he's a Brit. Given his collapse at the Giro, there has to be a significant question mark over his ability to sustain a challenge over three weeks. Hope he can do it though.
    If he doesn't keep attacking like a madman I'd think he has a reasonable shout. This attack seemed quite well timed, but in the post stage interview he definitely had his tail between his legs. Sounds like he's been told not to do so many attacks like that!
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    tim000 wrote:
    so no one criticising lotto jumbo mountain train .if it was sky certain people would be all over it . BORING :lol:
    I think I read that Jumbo acknowledged that having done the 'train' thing, they didn't have the rider to finish it off in style...So presumably they won't be doing that again!

More interesting surely was the fact that there was no Skytrain*

(*obscure Freddie Laker reference)
    Half man, Half bike
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    larkim wrote:
    If he doesn't keep attacking like a madman I'd think he has a reasonable shout. This attack seemed quite well timed, but in the post stage interview he definitely had his tail between his legs. Sounds like he's been told not to do so many attacks like that!
    I wasn't sure whether his demeanour was after a dressing down, or a reality check after he hadn't really closed out the last km or so as well as he might have expected.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)