Mech Hanger Length

dannbodge
dannbodge Posts: 1,152
edited August 2018 in Workshop
I've got a 2017 Specialized Tarmac and think my mech hanger is bent (Gears index fine but chatter on one or two of the middle sprockets)
I bought a new hanger and it's shorter than my current one.

Further investigation suggests that Specialized make a "short" and "long" mech hanger.
The long is listed as up to 32T, so will I be alright using the shorter one with my a Short cage Ultegra 6800 mech with a 28T cassette. I can't find anywhere that says what the max size for the "short" one is.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Probably should be fine. I've got a Alpe D'huez Road Fairy on my Rourke which essentially lengthens the mech hanger, it was capable of up to 29T and with this link, now caters for 32T.

What's the difference in length?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    drlodge wrote:
    Probably should be fine. I've got a Alpe D'huez Road Fairy on my Rourke which essentially lengthens the mech hanger, it was capable of up to 29T and with this link, now caters for 32T.

What's the difference in length?

Off the top of my head I can't remember, it's not much though (5mm maybe)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Difference in radius between a 28T and 32T cassette is 8mm.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava