Quick links are a SCAM!

bungle73
bungle73 Posts: 758
edited September 2018 in Workshop
There I've said it. We all know it. They are a scam to force you into paying money for another pointless tool. There was NOTHING wrong with the old fashioned joining pin. You can get them in and out in seconds, and most people have already got the tool to do that -plus it's compact enough to take with you on a ride, which you certainly can not do with one of these pseudo pliers. I've just been trying for the past 15 or 20 minutes to undo one of these stupid things, and I can't do it. Now I've got to lay out seven pounds on another pointless tool when I've already got a chain tool. i only put the chain on a few days ago.

Comments

• dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    *Influx of the usual's in 3, 2, 1...*
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I'll bite...

I've used them for years and never needed to use a tool of any type - you just need to learn the knack for joining and undoing them by hand.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • bungle73
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I'll bite...

I've used them for years and never needed to use a tool of any type - you just need to learn the knack for joining and undoing them by hand.

I've already tried what I've read. and they moved a few mm and that's as far I can get them and no more. i have never had any trouble joining or splitting a chain the old fashioned way. Who exactly are these things supposed to benefit......apart from the people trying to sell us more stuff?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Nooo. Those bloody pins were a nightmare. Tiny fiddly little fellas.

I'm firmly in the Quick Link camp. I move mine from one chain onto the next. The lil pliers help - but they're not essential. I'm sure theres a YouTube that can show you.

Hey Bungle - how did you get on with Merlin ?
  • bungle73
    Fenix wrote:
    Nooo. Those bloody pins were a nightmare. Tiny fiddly little fellas.
    Not really. Unless you have co-ordination problems or something?
    I'm firmly in the Quick Link camp. I move mine from one chain onto the next. The lil pliers help - but they're not essential. I'm sure theres a YouTube that can show you.

Hey Bungle - how did you get on with Merlin ?

I've already looked at videos, and as usual they make it look easy when it's not. I'm going to give up until I get one of those tools.

And let me just say that this is not the first time one of these things has wound me up.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I can't undo them without pliers but they are easy as hell to do back up without any.
    Click together hold the back wheel and push down on the pedals
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    ok - let's clear this up

Quick links have 2 uses
    a) At home - you can get the chain on/off quickly and easily - I know - I did 2 in quick succession on monday - I'll admit, I do have a quick link plier that squeezes them together for removal - for replacing it's just a matter of moving the link to the tensioned side and using the crank to fix them.
    b) on the road - when something goes wrong and you need to shorten/join your chain - just use your normal chain removal tool to drill out the pins to get to where you need to be and shuv in a quick link - no more faffing about with trying to drive the pin back in, getting it too far and driving back the other way ... again - I've done it - twice so far (once this year) ... it's quick, it's easy and gets you back on the road PDQ.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Bungle -you should really approach Channel 5 with a proposal for a fly on the wall documentary. I'd love to see the everyday occurences in the Bungle household. Although would it be a documentary or more of an epic drama ?
  • CitizenLee
    Just work the link back and forth in your hands and it should loosen off, otherwise pop a drop of oil on it and leave it for a few minutes. Then just squeeze the plates together and slide the links towards itself. You may need to give the chain a bit of slack though. Don't think I could ever go back to the old method.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    The problem is 9 speed quick links were quick and easy to split and rejoin a chain with. Since 10 and 11 speed splitting can be near enough impossible without a tool and joining can require tricks of the trade already described to get them in properly.

So I think they are a good idea but it's a reasonable shout that if we need a special tool it kind of defeats the original point.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    I love quick links. Always have one in my saddlebag and have used it to fix a chain at the side of the road quickly. As you can take and refit the chain so easily makes chain cleaning a breeze - slot off, stick in a jar with white spirit, shake, spotless chain.
    Sometimes stiff at first but loosen up. If they give you grief then get one of these:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/bbb-btl-77 ... 68384.html
    Only £8.50 and make the process child's play.
    On my Topeak hexus there is also a wire clip around the chain splitter that you slot round the links to use on the go to do the same thing.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/topeak-hex ... 109716.htm
    Other retailers are available, Merlin are very good though....
    If you really really prefer pins - just buy Shimano chains.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Thank you for sharing that with us Bungle73.... that's you sorted then, don't bother with QuickLinks.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    just use what youre comfortable with. you can get a few spare pins for a couple of quid on ebay so just keep the quickpins in your spares box.

I think you can buy quick pins AND shimano joining pins from Merlin.
  • CitizenLee
    I use the KMC Missing Link ones which work with SRAM and Shimano 10sp chains. As I said, no tools needed for fitting or removal.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Vino'sGhost
    Fenix wrote:
    Apparently their service is very good though if you order goods they charge your card.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    All the chains upto and including 10 speed there was a re-useable quick release, with the 11 and 12 speed chains there was a switch to non re-useable by SRAM and Shimano, others still do a re-useable.

So many are out there trying to release a quick release that was never meant to.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Hey forumites!

Scenario: sick dog by the side of the road. Do you have take it home or put it out of its misery? Or does the sick dog take a biscuit and scamper off into the woods?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bungle by name, bungle by nature.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    Big Harv wrote:
    Hey forumites!

Scenario: sick dog by the side of the road. Do you have take it home or put it out of its misery? Or does the sick dog take a biscuit and scamper off into the woods?

Was this meant for one of those threads in The Cake Shop where everyone types like Russel Brand talks?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I will also bite. Put your chain on the big ring pull the quick link so it stuck out I.e. arrow shaped hit it with your large adjustable spanner or a large rock if you are out in the wilds and hey it it’s undone.
    Someone once posted a link on here to some engineer guy from the CTC with a video for those of you who don’t understand.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    If you're having problems undoing quick-links without tools, try Wippermann ones. They come apart very easily.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    You don’t need a tool to remove them unless you are one. :D
  • Vino'sGhost
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

The op only shops at merlin :)
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Big Harv wrote:
    Hey forumites!

Was this meant for one of those threads in The Cake Shop where everyone types like Russel Brand talks?

What, where am I :oops:

Trying day. But my quick links are definitely still linked. Yup.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Bungle, is this what you bought from Merlin a while back??? :lol:

Quick links work for everyone but you.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Webboo wrote:
    I will also bite. Put your chain on the big ring pull the quick link so it stuck out I.e. arrow shaped hit it with your large adjustable spanner or a large rock if you are out in the wilds and hey it it’s undone.
    Someone once posted a link on here to some engineer guy from the CTC with a video for those of you who don’t understand.

Yes I've done that but on expensive kit not sure I'd fancy it, understandably some may be reluctant to hit their Super Record chainring with a large rock wouldn't take much to snap a tooth off it.
  • DeVlaeminck
    robertpb wrote:
    All the chains upto and including 10 speed there was a re-useable quick release, with the 11 and 12 speed chains there was a switch to non re-useable by SRAM and Shimano, others still do a re-useable.

So many are out there trying to release a quick release that was never meant to.

Not reuseable doesn't mean it can't be released though does it - just use a new one when it is released. Don't we all reuse them anyway?
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    robertpb wrote:

Not reuseable doesn't mean it can't be released though does it - just use a new one when it is released. Don't we all reuse them anyway?

If you put a 10sp kmc link on an 11sp chain it works and is easier to remove. I've used one on my spare bike for miles and it's not caused a problem.