adventure van buying advice

ageis
ageis Posts: 49
edited August 2018 in MTB general
Hi

I want my very own adventure van so I enjoy myself on weekends away from home. I think having time away from home on own will be benefitial for my sanity.

So I was wondering if you guys were to buy a used van, what sort of mileage would you consider low mileage?

So am 32yrs old and have had a full uk driving license for 10yrs but I will be paying £1834 for insurance on the van.

Are people in a similar boat?

Comments

• eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    That's extortionate,10 years ago i had a VW T4 Kombi 2.5tdi,I used to pay less than half of that with 9 points on my license,high mileage puts a lot of people off but modern vehicles are more than capable of doing it,I know a few guys wit VW t5's with 200k+ and they don't seem worried about it,down side to VW transporters now is they are ridiculous money
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mate of mine was raving about Japanese imports. Cheaper
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Be very careful with Jap imports. Their MOT equivalent is a killer, and basically designed to get 3 year old cars off the road and sell new ones.

So most people just drive and don't give a sh1t. Means no care or maintenance.

I lived in NZ for a long time, and 80% of the cars are imports. I had quite a few, and they were cheap, but all needed a bit of TLC first.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    I've got a Vivaro SWB with a seat in the back,partitioned off behind it for the bikes. It does a little over 600 miles on a tankful,6 speed 1.9 TD. Bought it for £4k 2years ago with 44k on the clock. Briliant van.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    That two grand on insurance would pay for a good few weekends away. I don't see how it can be justified.