etiquette of changing first claim club

conorclancy
conorclancy Posts: 10
edited September 2018 in Road general
What is the etiquette of changing clubs. I've been with a club for 4 years but moving to a more racing focused team. I will still be remaining second claim for my current club but do I need to let them know I'm moving?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It would certainly be good manners to let them know...
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Manners maketh the man. Resign gracefully, and of course update your BC licence in good time for the next race.

Frankly, in real life & business people aren't that gracious.But this is cycling so more important.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    seriously? like seriously seriously?

its a club. no etiquette required. you politely tell them you're off, cheers, its not you its me, so long and thanks for all the fish.

join new club, earn right to be spoken to and old club pople won't talk to you as you are now in a different.

etiquette to leave? its a bicycle club not the Mafia.

#shakesheadeversoslowly
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Politely, that's the point.

#oldschoolmanners
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,494
    Be nice about it - life's too short not to.
    If you've had some massive bust-up then flounce off with no regard for them, but otherwise say good-bye and thank them for 4 years.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    In truth if you've been an active club member then I'd let them know, if I was one of those who'd paid my membership but rarely been seen (a surprising amount in large clubs) I may just not renew but as the OP plans to remain second claim I'd guess they fall into the former category. If you are thinking about it then it probably is best to drop them an email, at worst they'll think it unusually polite.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I'd only bother if you will be racing against your old club with your new club, otherwise it doesn't really make any difference which club is first claim.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Why would you remain second claim with your original club? Genuine question.

As for moving, I would drop a note to my current club and formally let them know. It only takes a minute to do.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

As for moving, I would drop a note to my current club and formally let them know. It only takes a minute to do.
    So as to still be able to ride in their club events.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Archaic rule that has no place in the 21st century. :roll:
  • Deary me, this place. Does everyone have to ask about everything? How would people cope without the internet one wonders.

#can'tbelieveI'magreeingwithMF
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498

I'm a member of 2 clubs (which is really odd because I've never been an advocate of multi-club membership) - it's purely because I race with one, but find the club rides of the other are more convenient atm.

I always thought that local clubs should allow other local clubs to join in their club rides - but I can see how that could easily be abused to the detriment of one club - and quite frankly, the cost is minimal ... well - until you start buying individual club kit ....