Nice good value 29ER Frames?

bobbydigital
bobbydigital Posts: 254
edited September 2018 in MTB general
Recently I built a inbred 29er, salsa rigid forks, 1 x 10 and it rides nicely but it takes a lot of effort to get going, that might just be a characteristic of 29" wheels but I was after building another 29er, but something lighter.

Inbred frame is around 2.5kg

So I'm after building another 29er and wondered if there are any nice quality frames out there that I should look out for? Can be Aluminium or Steel, I don't really want to pay big monies for it, the inbred frame was £120 and I'm comfortable up to £150 for the frame alone.

Currently watching 2 frames on Ebay, Big Wig and Parkwood, just wondered what else I should look out for.
I do have a switch back to build which will be my first 650b so not really wanting to drop big money on a 29er at this point.

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    edited August 2018

Inbred frame is around 2.5kg

I'm comfortable up to £150 for the frame alone.
    t.

Wow, that's heavy. Have you considered carbon fibre., should be 1/2 that, but not on your budget.
  • I only see unbranded Chinese Carbon Fibre frames at around the £300 and I'm not sold on the unbranded stuff or carbon fibre for used goods, even though for cycling I haven't used it much.

Some people claim the frame is 2.7kg :oops:
    It doesn't feel mega heavy when compared to my BFe 26 but I might have to go to evil aluminium.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have a gary fisher 29er frame that 2.5kg. the complete bike is 9.6kg (single speed) and it accelerates like nothing else and climbs like a scolded cat.

The total weight of the bike is important and so are the tyres when accelerating. Id look at the tyres. It has nowt to do with the wheel size, other wise XC racer would not use 29er's.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Bike-Discount.de have loads of cheap Cube 29er frames at the moment...

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/search?q=cube+29+frame
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Only two in budget, both side swing though.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    The Rookie wrote:
    Only two in budget, both side swing though.....

Shouldn't matter if OP is running 1x10? Might look odd having the mount showing but on a cheap frame I'm not sure I'd be that bothered.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    I only see unbranded Chinese Carbon Fibre frames at around the £300 and I'm not sold on the unbranded stuff or carbon fibre for used goods, even though for cycling I haven't used it much.

Despite my bad experience with one, I'd still say its worth a punt. Many have been sold and it is very uncommon for them to fail., see chinertown.com....
    If you search long enough, you will fit d to end frames, pinarello, cervello, specialized etc breaking.
  • On the German site that's linked the "Cube Reaction HPA SL 29" frame in a 17" would be okay, although Cube are one of the worst for horrible graphics on their frames but at 1.8kg for the 23" frame which is what's quote it doesn't seem too bad.

I know many of the frames are made in Asia but the Chinese carbon ones, I just couldn't, I wouldn't feel safe knowing knowing I have no idea the standards it's made to.

I won a Cube 17" LTD frame for £60, so will build that up :oops:
  • The inbred isn't bad at all, I just had 20psi in the tyres and forgot to pump them up.