Second bike for Winter commute from Evans

olly49267
olly49267 Posts: 12
edited August 2018 in Commuting general
Want second bike for Winter 8 mile each way London commute, all flat, Shepherds Bush, Hyde Park, The Mall, cycle super highway to City.

Has to be Evans due to Company C2W scheme, so max budget £1000.

Current "Summer" bike is Cube Attain GTC Disc, which I am a bit fed up with as had around 8 punctures in last 3 weeks in various different places, all on front tyre. Swapped to new tyre, new rim tape, took to LBS, another puncture today. Nothing visible in tyre. Was using 28cm GP 4000s. Changed this evening to 25cm GP 4 Seasons.

So any recommendations for the new bike?

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Do you want a road bike? Or a flat bar? I prefer a flat bar for a similar commute, with hub dynamo, guards and rack.
    The lithium flat bar thing looks pretty good for a commuter. For a road bike the Arkose or Dolomites look pretty good depending on your preference. they also do Norco.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Brompton otherwise its just duplication.

These punctures - where is the hole ? Inside so rim tape or outside so tyre ?
  • Arkose X, for something that can take up to 45mm tyres, https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ar ... e-EV275629
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    GP4000s are your problem not the bike
  • Thanks. Not sure I can cope with the change to a bar-end shifter on the Arkose X.

Think narrowed it down to Arkose 2 or one of the CAADX models.

May have to push it to over the price ceiling for C2W.

Punctures now stopped after switch to GP 4 Seasons. Not sure what to do with my 3 GP4000s, whether worth trying again later. Don't really want to bin £90 worth of rubber.
  • Do you have anything rubbing on the front wheel? I used to have some mud guards on my bike which were a very tight fit and found that they were driving stones etc into the tyre. Had one ride where my Gatorskins got punctured twice (and gatorskins are a very puncture resistant tyre).

But since changing the mudguards, I have had about 3 punctures in 3 years.

But as for your GP4000s, I run them on my front wheel and then a harder wearing tyre like the GP4S on my rear (since I have never got a puncture on the front wheel on my road bike). But seeing as you only seem to get them on the front, that may not be much help.