Mavic Ksyrium Elite (2010)

navrig2
navrig2 Posts: 1,833
edited August 2018 in Workshop
I have a pair of these wheels and they have been pretty good.

Recently I started to hear a noise which could have been grinding or just vibration coming from the rear hub. I also had BB and Headset noises but have replaced bearings in both and they are mostly silent.

The noise got really noticable after a 80 mile sportive and was only present when freewheeling.

I had a look at the rear wheel and noticed that the cassette (11spd) had some sideays play. I checked that there wasn't a need for a spacer (there isn't). I also noted that the hub had some sideways play. I tightened the axle using 2 5mm allan keys. It was loose. After tightening I reassembled the wheel and tried it out.

This last weekend I did two 85 mile routes and at the end of Saturday the noise was back. I assumed that the hub had loosened again so tightened it again using the allan keys. It wasn't as loose as previous. On Sunday it was silent for most of the ride but towards the end of Sunday it started to occasionally sound when I free wheeled.

The wheel spins freely enough. There is not sound emanating from the hub itself. The sound seems to be the cassette vibrating as the axle/hub loosens but I am not sure. I am not even sure of the terminology for the axle.

I suspect that it may be the bearings but am not sure. Why would it loosen after tightening?

Any ideas?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Google Mavic death squeal. No personal experience but I've read a lot about it. Plastic bushing which needs lubrication and wears out eventually.

Tell tale symptoms are a howling noise when freewheeling at speed.

I personally feel that bits of plastic have no place in a freehub, but the French seem to disagree. I've also read that replacements can be tricky to obtain.
  • keef66
    I suppose the axle / end caps may be loosening because said bushing is worn?
  • navrig2
    That's it.

Problem identified. Just need to sort it or buy something new which isn't Mavic.

Thanks.
  • keef66
    I get the impression that some owners just accept that the thing will require periodic dismantling & lubrication and occasional replacement of the bushing, but that Mavic don't care enough to sell the part as a spare.

If they were mine and there's still life left in the brake track, I'd take it apart to see if it's wear or lack of lubrication. Latter is an easy fix, but if the former, try to find the part on Ebay?
  • navrig2
    The rims seem sound so with a repaired hub they will still be better wheels than an emergency set of training wheels.

I am going to research the DoctorHub solution but will dismantle this weekend and have a look. Meantime I'll transfer my Aksiums across from the winter bike and keep riding.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Replacement freehub from CRC - or similar, widely available.

I suffered this a couple of years back, make sure you keep on top of lubing/ greasing it or'll it'll become terminal with the hub becoming scored.

Was pi$$ed off at the time, but having used a few other brand's wheelsets since I'd go back to Mavic wheels in a shot.