The state of the replies on this. 1.5m overtaking rule proposed.

Comments

• cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    I'm very tempted to get a jersey printed that says 'I have insurance, I pay tax'!
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    There are a few bad car drivers out there.
    There are a few bad cyclists out there.
    I ride and I drive a car - as I suspect many on here do - let's all try to do our bit to improve relations between both groups.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    What would you expect form a website called petrol prices? If you are inclined to visit a website that is, presumably, specifically to provide info on petrol prices, perhaps you are of 'the type' who suggest all cyclists should get off the road and stop ruining their peaceful village on a weekend morning.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Haha. My mother lives in a peaceful village near a road and she finds it quite amusing hearing their raised voices as they go past.

As for Singleton's post - I think it's more likely than not that most road users are 'ok' at driving/cycling whatever and for the most part are fine. What's important is that one person's mistake looks the actions of an ego centric, 'I deserve to be here more than you' type of prick.

I know for a fact I once cut up a cyclist without looking (luckily very slowly in a car park) and have definitely performed some questionable overtakes in my car and wiggled through traffic recklessly on my road bike. I dread to think what expletives were running through the heads of those who witnessed the above events.

But on the flipside, I often pull over if on a single track road when cycling to let cars pass, usually let cars pull out when on the bike and almost always let cyclists out and am super careful not to overtake too close etc etc.

Noone is perfect, but everyone *thinks* they are a perfect driver.
  • craigus89
    But on the flipside, I often pull over if on a single track road when cycling to let cars pass, usually let cars pull out when on the bike and almost always let cyclists out and am super careful not to overtake too close etc etc.

Noone is perfect, but everyone *thinks* they are a perfect driver.

If only the other 95% of drivers were as considerate as you are.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    They probably are, you just don't remember them.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    HI know for a fact I once cut up a cyclist without looking (luckily very slowly in a car park) and have definitely performed some questionable overtakes in my car and wiggled through traffic recklessly on my road bike. I dread to think what expletives were running through the heads of those who witnessed the above events.
    I cut up a cyclist (road bike) in London a few weeks ago - I did yell an apology through my open window afterwards though.
    I'm practically perfect... ;)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Singleton wrote:
    There are a few bad car drivers out there.
    There are a few bad cyclists out there.
    I ride and I drive a car - as I suspect many on here do - let's all try to do our bit to improve relations between both groups.

You must be the rare breed who is both a bad cyclist and a bad car driver? :shock: :lol::D:wink:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Craigus89 wrote:
    What would you expect form a website called petrol prices? If you are inclined to visit a website that is, presumably, specifically to provide info on petrol prices, perhaps you are of 'the type' who suggest all cyclists should get off the road and stop ruining their peaceful village on a weekend morning.

To be fair - I've got a car and a bike. It's not mutually exclusive and I'm not keen on paying over the odds for the petrol if I can help it. Every cyclist I know has a car as well.
  • craigus89
    Fenix wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:

To be fair - I've got a car and a bike. It's not mutually exclusive and I'm not keen on paying over the odds for the petrol if I can help it. Every cyclist I know has a car as well.

As do I, I'm just pointing out the website probably has a demographic. You wouldn't expect the DM to have many insightful comments on its articles.
  • wiznaeme
    wiznaeme Posts: 238
    The article refers to new laws. There aren’t any new laws this is the close pass initiative which, at a stretch, falls under careless or inconsiderate driving offences, which have existed since at least 1960. The comments made by the contributors are just the usual ill-informed stuff.
  • EBEB
    EBEB Posts: 98
    I like the idea there are only a “few” bad drivers & cyclists. I live opposite a 20mph happy/sad face thing and near traffic lights. The number of people who drive at 20 is less than half and both cars/bikes jump reds regularly. The majority of people, whether drivers or cyclists, are not responsible enough to control heavy hard metal objects travelling at high speeds. I’d include myself there as I’ve not been safe driving home from night shifts. That they would still be able to cycle is irrelevant because the weight & capacity to injur others is so much less. If someone invented a bicycle as dangerous as a car I’d ban them from using that too.
  • An interesting take on facts.

Under the title 'Costly Mistakes' they highlight the case of a lorry driver who was fined £1038 and received 5 points. What they neglect to mention is he had squeezed the police cyclist to the edge of the road and repeatedly denied doing anything wrong. He maintained his innocence and so went to court where he was found guilty on the video evidence he had refused to accept at the roadside.

Not so much a costly mistake as just dessert.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    cld531c wrote:
    I'm very tempted to get a jersey printed that says 'I have insurance, I pay tax'!

My first reply when I come across the daily mail bigots is "Ive actually been driving for 20 years, including white vans at work. But I cycle out of choice in my spare time"

You can see the cogs in their head trying to compute that Im not just a lycra wearing cyclist.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby