Touring in Dolomites - Accomodation

RivetRider
RivetRider Posts: 2
edited March 2019 in Tour & expedition
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to organise a trip for my Uni cycling club to go to the Dolomites (Alta Badia region). Ideally I would like to find cyclist friendly accommodation with is within striking distance (175km round trip) to both the Passo Giau and the Zoncolan. Has anyone got any specific tips/contacts that would be helpful when cycling in this region of Italy (this year we went to Bourg).

Best,
RivetRider

Comments

• tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    Hmm...I think you might have trouble with this. As they’re 110km apart you’ll want to stay half way between them, which is Auronzo bi Cadore or San Stefano di Cadore. However to get to the Giau from there you also have to climb the Tre Croci from both sides. Not a major problem, but you will have 2800m of climbing in 100km. Going to the Zoncolan will include climbing both sides of the Cima Sappada (the east side is a real bastard), with around 3200m of climbing in 95km.

But the real problem is the 4km tunnel between Santa Caterina and Santo Stefano di Cadore on the SS52. It’s narrow, dimly lit, and full of speeding vehicles...I wouldn’t go in there on a bike for any money. There is, however, the old road that runs along the Piave River. It’s blocked off by 2m fences at each end, but it’s possible to get over them with a bike. Some of the road has slid 30m into the river, some of the road is covered by boulders from the cliffs above, and it’s potentially a bit dangerous. But as far as I can see, that’s the only way to avoid the tunnel.

FWIW, I stayed in the Monaco Sports Hotel in Santo Stefano di Cadore a couple of months ago, and they’re very bike-friendly.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    I'd suggest you forget about the Zoncalan and just stay in the Alta Badia. Absolutely loads to go at - Giau, Pordoi, Fedaia, Valparola, Sella, Gardena, Valparola, Falzarego, Campolongo - all within a fairly short distance of each other.
  • You’re welcome
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    You can avoid that tunnel by climbing to the Passo Sant’Antonio and then down into Padola. It’s a pretty straightforward climb. But I’d second the advice to stay in one area.
  • Another vote for staying in Alta Badia - also within striking distance from there is Tre Cime d Lavaredo and lesser known wonderful climbs such as Erbe and Furkel. The Sella Ronda is an absolute gem, and the food in the area is incredible.